Your first ever Texas-OU game..

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by WYhornfan, Jul 6, 2009.

1. WYhornfan

WYhornfan < 25 Posts

My first Texas-OU game was in 1995. The game was the last tie in Texas Football history. Texas 24, OU 24. Texas jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first quarter it things looked great!! Then OU outscores Texas 24-3 the rest of the game. I remember OU had a chance to win the game but the Sooner kicker missed a last minute FG (badly). What was your first Texas-OU game?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

While my first time inside the stadium was 2007 (rainy and we lost), 2006 was my first time in Dallas for that weekend. We went to west end the night before and got into plenty of mosh pits, then watched the game at Dick's with something like 80% sooner trash and 20% burnt orange. We were seated near the exit which was fun since, the sooner fans thought they could leave early without getting hassled.

3. IB ROC N

IB ROC N 100+ Posts

1964. My grandfather took me to the game and the 'Horns won 28-7. It was also my first venture to the Texas State Fair. If i could relive days in my life, October 10th, 1964, would be in my top five.

4. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

1992. Gardere's completion of the sweep. I've been to every one ever since. My dad can say the same thing going as far back as the 1963 game.

5. Jason Atchley

Jason Atchley 250+ Posts

1991. We had a phenomenal defense, led by an all-world defensive line that included Shane Dronett, Tommy Jeter, and James Patton.

Our offense was anemic, to the point that I felt they needed to appear on a milk carton. The game dragged on slowly, and I feared the worst.

Late in the game, we forced a fumble, Bubba Jacques scooped it up and ran around the right side of the Sooner offense, and the good guys won 10-7.

6. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

1987 OU 44 UT 9 Not pretty.

The shuttle from the downtown Fairmont hotel to the Cotton Bowl was packed with Okies, as was the hotel. A girl with Okla. plates drove up to the Fairmont with a sign in her back car window that said, "F--- Texas". I wondered if she'd managed to drive all the way to Dallas with that sign in her window and not get run off the road.

7. Unques prist

Unques prist 250+ Posts

I sat in the trees outside the Cotton Bowl for a couple of years and finally was blessed with tickets in 1982, my soph year in HS. Good game, but Texas lost 28-22. Had to sit in the Okie side. Missed only one Texas/ou game since 1989.

[​IMG]

8. White Castle

White Castle 100+ Posts

My freshman year, 1994. Two Words:

STONIE CLARK. [​IMG]

9. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

My first game as well. And I would like to add

JAMES BROWN

10. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

1988. 28-13, OU.

11. herigonz

herigonz 25+ Posts

Hmmm...in person, 2001.

TX 3 - OU 14

Evil Roy. [​IMG]

12. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

Sat upper deck during a monsoon.

15-15 tie.

Evil Fred [​IMG]

13. RedRiverRocks

RedRiverRocks 500+ Posts

that dang Vasher!!! lol [​IMG]

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

2005. I couldn't see the ball thanks to the upper deck overhang, but I saw that Billy Pittman was wide open, and it looked like the shadow of the ball was heading towards the shadow of his hands, so I knew we were seconds from blowing the game wide open.

15. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

1998 with Ricky winning the Heisman. Texas wins 34-3.

16. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

1980 - Texas beat OU 20-13 and moved up to #2 in the Nation. Just as exciting as the football game, the Astros were in the playoffs for the first time battling it out with the Phillies in the NLCS. Unfortunately, both teams cratered. The 'Stros blew a late lead at home in the deciding 5th game and the Horns went 2-7 the rest of the way including a Bluebonnet Bowl loss to UNC.

But for one weekend in October 1980, all was right with the World.

17. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

1978 - we got beat 31-10 as Billy Sims went on to win the Heisman. Fortunately we won the next 3 with 1982 being the best from my school days. OU lead 14-0 at half and we scored 34 straight to win 34-14. The entire OU side was empty and Texas/Fight really echos off those empty seats.

18. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

My freshman year, 1983--Edwin Simmons at rb-also the game where Ty Alert rammed Marcus Dupree enough to knock his (Dupree's) helmet off--28-7 I think was the final--went undefeated the whole year, until Craig Curry and Georgia in the Cotton Bowl [​IMG] --Curry ended up dating a classmate of mine who ran track at UT--one day they both went over to a friend of mine's apartment to pick something up, and that friend would not allow Curry to step foot in his apartment!

19. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

'68 ... Street ... great game.

20. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

2000. Thanks for asking. Not. [​IMG]

21. BRay2244

BRay2244 500+ Posts

2003...unfortunately.

22. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

The first OU game I saw in person was 1978....my freshman year at UT. We lost to No. 1 OU. It was the only loss to OU we had during my 4 years.

The first OU game I saw on TV was 1970. We won 41-9, and went undefeated until the 30-game streak against ND. There was a play in the OU game that I believe cost us the game against ND.....Cotton Speyer broke his arm. Though UT mistakes were blamed for the loss to ND (and they certainly helped) losing our best receiver let teams concentrate on the run.

23. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

In person: 1968 - a 26-20 thriller.

Street, Worster, Comer and the UT D lead by Wainscott & Halsell

A great game and victory [​IMG]

24. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

2008: the greatest display of score and counter-score I have ever seen [​IMG]

25. 4th&5

4th&5 1,000+ Posts

My first was the 1990 game followed by 1998, 2000, '05, '06 & '08. All but the 2000 debacle were under clear blue skies.

2008 was the first one I went up on Friday and came back Sunday, so it's definately my favorite Texas/OU experience.

[​IMG]

26. vzhorn

vzhorn 25+ Posts

My first one was in 1977 when Earl was a senior. We hadn't won in awhile and it was a tough game. My wife and I scalped some tickets but they were in the ou student section and we were harassed for 3+ hours. Beer, food and everything else was thrown at us. I had a very bad hangover from the night before. Erxleben had the 2 long field goals, 2 QBs go out with injuries but we hang on to a small lead with time winding out. ou has the ball inside our 10 and go for it on 4th down. Big goal line stand then Erxleben bombs a punt for 70 yards to keep them away from our end zone again. When the clock runs out, I turn to face the ou end zone I'm sitting in and give the finger to the whole section and tell them they are losers and for all of them to kiss my ***. My wife is sure that I'm fixing to get my *** kicked but not one of them says a word. SWEET!!! Only missed 4 UT/ou games since then.

27. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

1972!

Freshman year....I was the designated ticket PULLER and got up at 6am in Jester and walked across the street to the tiny ticket office off to the right just inside Gregory Gym. I was the second person to arrive and the first at my window. When the lady gave me the four tickets, I saw they were incredible seats, but didn't know how good since I'd never been to the Cotton Bowl before.
    Arriving at the CB we found our seats and they were SO GOOD that the person sitting next to my left had RED on...and about 30 rows up.
    I always thought the fan response at DKR was not the same response I saw on the TV...not near the enthusiasm. WELL, I was not disappointed...every person in the stadium yelled on every play. THIS was the TEXAS I rmembered seeing on TV.
    We held them to a field goal most of the game and going into the 4th quarter ou had held us inside the ten for a couple of plays and then.... [​IMG] the QUICK KICK...which was blocked. Sooners score and then the flood gates openend and the final was 27-0.
    We left tired, but it was a fun-kind-of tired. I was hooked and haven't missed a game since.

NO BETTER GAME to attend in FOOTBALL.

28. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

1990, the whatever it takes tour really gets started. Kerry Cash catches a first half TD pass from Peter the Great then his brother Keith catches one late in the fourth quarter. RD Lasher forever immortalizes himself by prancing for the camera right before pulling a last second fg attemtp wide and the Horns win 14-13. This was also the game where Butch Hadnot had some fantastic runs and many of us thought he was a star in the making.

29. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

1999 (in person anyway).

I should have quit while I was ahead.

30. TumpTheWagon

TumpTheWagon 25+ Posts

1991. Bubba!! Been to every one since...was doing pretty well with a 6-2-1 record until 1999...not so good since. record overall: 9-8-1. i hate them, they are dirty people.