Your First Game as a Student

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MortimerTX, Sep 3, 2011.

1. MortimerTX

MortimerTX 25+ Posts

How did it go? Who were the Horns playing? When? Where? Was anything on the line?

7:00 can't get here soon enough.

2. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

My first game as a student (but far from my first game at DKR) was Rout 66. Yep. I went there on a date and we were all over each other on the ride down to the stadium. If I hadn't had tickets it would have been a far better afternoon. All we needed was a reason to celebrate.. like a powder keg waiting for a match. 4 quarters later... we drove back to her apartment in complete silence and said our goodbyes. I have still never felt a buzzkill like that in my entire life. A week or so later she transferred. That was my first game (as a student) and that's what was at stake. [​IMG] I would appreciate it if the team would kick the f**k out of UCLA this year. Just saying. [​IMG]

3. 1963_Frosh

1963_Frosh 250+ Posts

Wow, what a great thread! My first game as a student at UT was in 1963 vs. Texas Tech, the first year they were full members of the old SWC. The game featured two great sophomore RBs (Freshmen couldn't play in those days): Donny Anderson of TT, nicknamed the "Golden Palomino", a two-time All American and first round pick of Lombardi's Packers, and Phil Harris, who would later destroy Navy and Roger Staaubach that year in the Cotton Bowl, clinching Texas' first NC. Oh yeah, Tommy Nobis was also a sophomore that year and played in the game, which Texas won 49-7.

Those were great times worthy of nostalgia -- the Beatles would debut on the Ed Sullivan Show in February of that school year. I was so lucky to have had groups like the Beatles at the top of their careers while I was in school. Now, poor freshmen must listen to that skank Lady Gaga and other equally repulsive artists of the rap and hip-hop generation of "artists" (notice I didn't say musicians). I wish I could do a Twilight Zone in real life where the only music available today is the content of my iPod, where the chronology of pop music ends with ABBA.

Sorry for the extra bonus of social commentary. My bad.

4. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

My first game attended as a student was in September, 1958, against Georgia. This was DKR's second year to coach at UT and I was a wide-eyed, 17-year-old freshman from a tiny South Texas town. Don't remember much about the game except that it was a defensive struggle that Texas won 13-8 (I think). Georgia's QB was Fran Tarkenton.

Other significant things from that school year: The Kingston Trio was at the top of the musical charts that year, with "Tom Dooley" being their best. The UT Cultural Committee signed them up for a gig at Batts Hall that I attended. It was awesome (pardon the expression). After the concert, I, my friend and our dates drove in our borrowed car to Dirty's and bravely ordered a round of beer at the drive-in, which was delivered (thankfully). Wonderful times!

Other things I remember from that school year: Martin Denny's album with "Quiet Village", a Van Cliburn piano concert at Gregory Gym, Wernher von Braun lecture on campus. In early February, 1959, I was cooking breakfast at a co-op at around 6 a.m. when a student from Dallas came in and said he'd just heard on the radio that Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and The Big Bopper had been killed in a plane crash. The Dallas student's name was Jeff Mullins and I was cooking scrambled eggs and spam...funny how you remember such things at eventful times.

1963Frosh:

I was also at that TT game in '63 and I don't remember Phil Harris so much as Tommy Ford. Good, ***-kicking game!

5. Doughbroz

Doughbroz 250+ Posts

Sept. 30, 1967, one week after a 13-17 loss at #5 ranked USC. We were still #8 hosting Texas Tech. Sitting in the center of the north end zone we saw Chris Gilbert break an 80 yard run straight at us for a score that pulled us within 13-16. Tech later kicked a field goal and won 19-13. Tech had over 300 yards rushing in that game. We ended the season with a 17-24 loss to TCU and a 7-10 loss to aggy for a 6-4 record. Close games all, and what might have been. 1967 was also the year after Whitman shot all those people from atop the UT tower.

6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

My junior year of college but first in Austin as transfer student, Texas-OU in 1990. I had missed first couple of games that year for various reasons and this was first I one could actually make in person.

First time going to Dallas and walking on Commerce street late Friday. Arriving early at State Fair and wandering around seeing everything.

The Horns upset a top ten OU team in the blazing heat that day in the Cotton Bowl. Kerry Cash and Keith Cash with TD catches, Keith's coming late in fourth to retake lead. Then RD Lasher misses FG on last play of game as Horns won 14-13. [​IMG]

7. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

1964 vs. Tulane. Big win, went on to 11-1 season defeating #1 Alabama and Joe Namath in the Orange Bowl. Tommy Nobis! I was a freshman and brand spanking new. The band marched in filling the east side of the track and we were so impressed with its size and sound. Then the other half of the band marched in!! [​IMG]

8. brint

brint 25+ Posts

Sep 1, 2001. Texas v. New Mexico State. Saw Derrick Johnson and Cedric Benson both playing as true freshmen, and both making an impact. It was overwhelming going from high school games with a couple thousand people to 80k+ people in the stands.

9. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Don't ask. Sept 1986 loss the Stanford. My four years at Texas:

5-6
    7-5
    4-7
    5-6

At least I could always sit on the 50!

10. nwking

nwking 250+ Posts

Missouri,1985. Marched through the tunnel as a brand new member of the Longhorn Band. Fred Akers, Bret Stafford, Eric Metcalf, Edwinn Simmons. We began the season with 3 wins, lost a close one to OU and then got destroyed at Kyle Field tp finish the season 8-4. Lost to Air Force in the Bluebonnet Bowl.

11. el arroyo

el arroyo 100+ Posts

1977 vs. Boston College (as I remember) followed by Virginia and Rice (72-15). Earl was a senior and the team would go 11-0 until the Cotton Bowl. Amazing parties on the Drag after the games and especailly after the Arkansas game (on the road 13-9 late win). Living at Dobie and what a great freshman year. Recall Earl singing with Wiile Nelson at a concert at Waterloo Park on Trinity street. Great times!

12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Sept 12, 1981. Texas 31, Rice 3.

That was a good year until we went up to Arkansas.

13. camarojoe98

camarojoe98 100+ Posts

My first game is tonight! Im pumped! [​IMG]

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

2003: Texas 66, New Mexico State 7. Our offense took the whole first quarter to get in gear and NMSU scored first, but then Selvin took the kickoff right back to open the Texas score. We ended up with 28 points off of returns as we took 2 interceptions back for scores and Selvin also closed the Texas scoring by taking a punt back the distance. In-between all that, Chance Mock threw a pair of TD bombs to Roy Williams and Vince Young rushed for his first two touchdowns as a Longhorn.

15. SHS1984

SHS1984 250+ Posts

1984 vs Auburn - Saturday night on ESPN when it was a big deal to be on ESPN.
    Jerry Grey ran down Bo Jackson from behind and broke his collar bone. Horns win and move up in the rankings. The rest of the season was not as good. [​IMG]
    I was there with my girlfriend that is now my wife. When she cleaned me up later that night after I puked, I knew it was true love. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. longhorn_melissa

longhorn_melissa 250+ Posts

My first game as a student was during our NC year in 2005. We played Louisiana Lafayette and won 60-3... sigh

17. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Nebraska 14, UT 13. 1960.
    then....
    7-3-1, 1960
    10-1 , 1961
    9-1-1, 1962
    11-0 , 1963 Nat'l Championship

4 yrs. 37-5-2 Not bad, Coach !! [​IMG] And wishing you and Edith all the best as the Horns start another season today!

18. 1963_Frosh

1963_Frosh 250+ Posts

J.R.69, Phil Harris returned the second-half kickoff 83 yards. You're right, though, in this game (1963 vs TT) other players had bigger games. Everything the Longhorns tried clicked. 49 points was a huge score for 1963. Inflated to today's "Hang 50" offenses, it equates to 70-80 points.

19. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

Texas 27, North Texas 0 in 2002. I was too uber pumped because we had shut them out defensively to think about how awful we were offensively.

20. WabashCannon

WabashCannon 250+ Posts

First game as a student was also the 1984 opener against Auburn. Great atmosphere and great game. Todd Dodge at QB, Jerry Gray on defense, Bo Jackson for Auburn.

First game in LHB was the next year against Mizzou. Marching down from the band hall into the stadium through the tunnel and around the track (yes, there used to be a track around the field!).

21. jhwutx

jhwutx 100+ Posts

My first game as a student against California in 1970. It was HOT, just like it will be today. Kickoff was at 4pm. The upper deck on the west side was being built and the stadium had no lights, so the 4pm kick. I was in Austin for 4 years during undergrad school and then 2 more years while my husband was in grad school. Never missed a home game during those 6 seasons. Hook 'em!

22. spit and tears

spit and tears 250+ Posts

September 21, 1991: Auburn 14, Texas 10. Peter Gardere threw a pick-six and a ****** offense wasted a pretty darn good performance by the defense. (Very fair description of the entire 1991 season).

23. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

1995 vs. UVA. I was in the East side stands almost even with the goal posts as Phil Dawson hit the game winner.

Here's my recollection:
    We set up in field goal formation and just before the play a fan behind me yells "fake FG" in reference to what Mackovic did in the previous game against OU(that ended in a tie). We all laughed out of nervousness and it was nice comic relief. The ball snaps and Dawson kicks it. It was going into a stiff wind so the ball just looked like slow motion. Since my line of sight was right on the goal posts, its looking like it will never get there. But the ball keeps going and going. I see it go past the goal posts and look down at the refs and when they put their hands up, its back at normal speed and we all jump up and down. I look back and see the team lift up Dawson while UVA players collapse in agony.

I didn't get to see a lot of games as a student because I worked on the weekends. But one of the others was the 1996 51-15 thrashing of A&M so I got the best of the lot between 1995-1997.

24. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

Jan 1, 1982 in the Cotton Bowl. #7 Texas up against #3 Alabama and Bear Bryant. Two fourth quarter touchdowns by the Longhorns and we come from behind to win 14-12. [​IMG]