Your guide to happy surfing

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by schnarkle, Aug 6, 2004.

1. schnarkle

schnarkle 500+ Posts

As a system manager for over 100 pcs that I deal with on a daily basis, here are some tips for solving the problems that keep showing up everyday on these forums. Browser hijacks, mysterious toolbars appearing, search engines that you can't uninstall, slow surfing.. etc. Hope it helps!

1. If you use IE, STOP. Use Firefox instead. Trust me, Firefox blows the doors off IE in speed, security, and features and it isn't even close. You will not get 1% of the spyware that IE is exposed to. And all your bookmarks and cookies are imported from IE if you wish.

2. If you've been using IE, download
    AdAware or Spybot (or both) and run to clean the crap off your pc. Make sure you update the definitions after you install to get the latest configs.

3. If you want to keep using IE (God knows why...) download and install this for protection Spyware Blaster .

4. If you still want to use IE and wish to get rid of pop ups, use Google Toolbar. Popup blocking and google search are standard in Firefox.

I'm sure there are other programs out there that work well, but be careful with spyware removal programs. Many of them are spyware themselves. Each of the programs I've linked to are FREE and heavily tested and free of spyware.

The internet is a jungle and getting worse everyday, especially if you are an IE user...

Hope this helps!