Your Mike Leach Prediction

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horn69, Feb 18, 2009.

1. WTHorn

WTHorn 100+ Posts

2. Booyakasha!

Booyakasha! Guest

WHAT ABOUT FLUVANNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Kadabra

Kadabra 100+ Posts

I haven't been following too closely.

What were the 4 clauses in the contract that are causing so much controversy?

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

One says he has to pay a $1.5 million penalty if he talks to another school without notifying the AD (about job openings).
    Another denied his request to be paid in dubloons.

5. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

6. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

some, uh, interesting developments today.

7. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

My prediction: He'll be fired, sit out a year, and be hired as the new head coach of Notre Dame as they will have had enough of Weiss and want something totally different.

8. lanceut

lanceut 250+ Posts

Sounds like they may be coming back from the brink. I guess somebody out there finally found some sense and realized that going full blown sand aggy and firing Leach would just about destroy everything the program has accomplished this decade.

9. BMBMD

BMBMD 100+ Posts

"WHAT ABOUT FLUVANNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Death to Fluvanna.

10. mackfan1

mackfan1 1,000+ Posts

I can't believe so many of you are defending Leach, talking about what a great coach he is. The guy is an overrated egomaniac who stabbed his employer in the back by interviewing for the UW job without consulting Myers.

The regents are sick of dealing with his stupid antics, and I think they'll fire him tomorrow.

11. malageno

malageno 25+ Posts

Don't count the pirate out just yet... things are brewing.

12. mackfan1

mackfan1 1,000+ Posts

With the players he lost, Leach will have a hard time even coming close to matching his '08 success this year. He might be well advised to let the regents buy him out, sit out a year, and take the next good job that comes open in 2010. (ND? Maybe, but I don't think he meshes well with their Catholic sensibilities.)

13. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

While the regents have considerable influence, they do not have power to fire Leach. Also, FOIA requests have revealed a communication from Myers to Leach from before the 2008 season inviting him to look elsewhere for work.

The contract Tech rejected as not worthy of response (Leach's latest counteroffer) is almost identical to the one Tech offered Leach in December before adding the now infamous January quadruple poison pill.

Some of the Tech players and recruits have been so bold as to join a Fire Gerald Myers facebook group. I don't think they believe Leach is knifing them in the back.

Tech acts happy to have an attorney/offensive genius coach and then acts hurt and surprised when he and his representation push the envelope in response to Tech's failing to keep his contract longer than 2 -3 years remaining.

The history of Tech football and the current state of its other major sports are markedly inferior to the product Leach puts on the table. The on-field success his teams enjoy is complemented by the press his unconventional ways generates. Tech never once sold out season tickets before Leach.

Tech is on the verge of firing the man who has won half of all of its bowls, scored its biggest win both regular season and bowl in terms of opponent ranking, and brought national recognition to its program. For hurting the feelings of a 71-yr-old AD with lackluster performance in other major sports.

EDIT I think a kiss-and-make-up moment is entirely possible. Would I bet money on it? No.

14. lanceut

lanceut 250+ Posts

15. Kadabra

Kadabra 100+ Posts

I will ask to be excommunicated from the Catholic Church, if Notre Dame chooses Leach as their head coach.

16. theropods

theropods 250+ Posts

17. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

i understand and am okay with the fact that criticizing tt is pretty much sop here.

that said, i'm more than a little entertained with this notion being expressed here that had leach left tt, tt is surely doomed to failure in that he was the best coach tech could possibly hope for.

i heard the exact same thing when spike dykes decided to "retire".

you can get a pretty good football coach for $2.5 mill a year-- i don't care who you are..

18. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

It is true Tech could end up with a better coach than Leach if the Pirate jumps ship. But it is not that easy, and Tech could either go through a painful adjustment period, or end up with a coach who just plain doesn't work out.
    Just ask A&M how easy it is to bring in a new coach and expect a big upgrade. It doesn't always happen, and in fact the opposite is more often the result. It's a gamble, and Leach is good. You could do much worse.

19. lanceut

lanceut 250+ Posts

No worries for Tech as the deal is finally now done. And I'm quite glad that Leach will be there for the epic mudholing he's going to experience on September 19th now as well. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Link

20. theropods

theropods 250+ Posts

21. laidbackex

laidbackex 25+ Posts

For that same money, A&M got Shermwow.

22. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

done deal so it doesn't really matter now, but a&m's last 2 hires were sherman and fran.

tt hired leach (and rich rodriguez was the other finalist) and spike dykes.

anybody notice a trend there in good hires versus bad hires?

23. baylorbear245

baylorbear245 100+ Posts

Leach and Tech just agreed to a 3 year extension through 2013 per espn.

24. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

While the most far-fetched part of my prediction - firing Myers - did not happen, the bottom line is that they did keep Leach, which is hands down the smartest decision that could have been made.

And the fact that Myers was left out of the conversation not to mention his absurd 4 vindictive clauses were either dropped or modified shows what a complete dipsh** he is and my guess is Leach has more years left at TT than Myers does.

The [​IMG] lives!

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]