Your pet peeve about college basketball

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by bierce, Mar 3, 2010.

1. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Mine is those damn TV timeouts with the first deadball after a team has called a timeout. Invariably, we are treated to 15 seconds of action before it's back to the sales pitches.

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Something about college basketball specifically that's not true about HS / NBA / international ball?

3. updog07

updog07 500+ Posts

4. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

Its true at all levels, but I hate that the last minute of a close game takes 20 mins in real time. We lose exciting, fast paced finishes to free throw shooting contests.

5. Heretic Horn

Heretic Horn 250+ Posts

#1 Tie ups decided by alternating possessions. C'mon man - how about a jump ball?

#2 Ed Hightower

6. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

- constant interruptions in play because of the fouls

- last two minutes taking forever no matter the score.

- fired up rivals playing 1000x above their head, then sucking against the rest of the conference

7. Bluepies

Bluepies Guest

Like everyone else, fouling or taking a timeout on every possession in the last two minutes.

Proposed rule changes:
    You get three timeouts per half, not five.
    ENFORCE the intentional foul call. Everyone and their dog knows that every foul committed by a losing team in the last two minutes is intentional. Call them as such and they will no longer gain an advantage. In the interest of fairness and sportsmanship, there should be no such thing as a smart or strategic foul. That, and watching a free throw contest at the end of every game is obnoxious.
    If that doesn't work, once in the double bonus, fouls behind the three point line get three foul shots.

8. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

9. scottnaustin

scottnaustin 25+ Posts

Brent Musberger....

10. Games that always run 10 minutes over into the ONE game I wanna watch...

11. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

Ive never been a huge fan of college basketball and one of my biggest reasons is the 35 second shot clock.

Makes the game way to slow.

12. adUTleander

adUTleander 250+ Posts

13. Hornoholic

Hornoholic 25+ Posts

The 18 timeouts per game kinda bugs me.

8 tv timeouts + 5 per team.

14. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

The main problem is the players leaving so early for the pros. This is a sport I will never have the depth of feeling for like I do college football. One year, then pro? How much of a fan can you become for any player with that going on?
    Secondly, the last minute or two can be very anti-climactic, as several have already mentioned. Borrrrrrring.

15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Jump balls decided by alternating possessions.

Too short of a 3-point line still ... it's closer to the high school / middle school line than it is to the NBA line.

16. txhorn2010

txhorn2010 250+ Posts

Dick Vitale, Dick Vitale, and Dick Vitale

17. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

That the season doesn't last an entire calendar year...I could watch college basketball every day.

Really, it's the one-and-done season that players utilize to jump to the NBA (sorry KD!). Wish there were a two year minimum at least.

18. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

that they think opening the tournament to 96 teams is a good idea.

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

20. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

not having won a Nat'l Championship.