Your rights when luggage is missing.

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by l00p, Jun 7, 2010.

1. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

My sister showed up where she lives but her luggage did not. She arrived past 11:30 p.m. The Pittsburgh airport is way out of town and a haul for her to get to but they offered her a 25 dollar voucher if she drives to pick it up IF they get it tomorrow. She would have to take off work, bus home, drive out there. Or, they will deliver to her. There is a catch to that.

They will not deliver to her workplace, it has to be her residence which is an apartment building. What **** is this? They lose the bag, offer a pittance of compensation AND make it impossible for her to realistically get her bag at home. She has recently moved there to start a position and is the newest person in her workplace. WTF, Southwest?

So I ask you hardened experienced travellers, what can she bargain towards and what can she get out of them in the way of concessions to either deliver to her work or anything else? We both understand that things like this happen. Fine, she can deal with that. But their response is less than expected.

She does not want a plane ticket or a pedicure, just some semblance of effort and atonement for their mistake. In waiting for her bag that never showed and the process of making the claim she almost had to pay for an extra day of airport off site parking. The guy took pity on her for not having her bag and cut her a deal.

Thanks.

2. Gone To Texas

Gone To Texas 500+ Posts

Why doesn't she just give them her work address? How do they know it's not an apartment? My luggage has gotten lost plenty of times and the couriers have gone just about anywhere to get it to me. Typically they deliver to my house and I'm home, sometimes to my office, and once they even drove my bag from London to Manchester and dropped it off at my hotel. If they refuse, then accept whatever deal is most convenient and write a strongly worded letter to customer service. You'll probably get an apology and a voucher for a free ticket. Better than nothing.

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

She tried that but her work address has security and is on a college campus so they figured it out. They flat out refused even after she said it was inconvenient almost impossible and that as a female, she felt odd having a stranger know all of her info.

They found her bag and could get it to her apt. bldg. before she had to catch her bus. She met the guy up front as he has no access to their security doors. She is going to write a letter about their practices relating to women and their feeling of security. She figures people are just happy to get their bags back but SW manages to lose her bags just about every third flight. It may be time for them to pony up for her.

4. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

l00p...Sounds like a job for the red-eyed suit case mamba!

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

*chortle*

Actually, I thought that a suitcase Anaconda got to it. Turns out it is safe. When I saw your name as the last to post I could not open the thread fast enough to see what you came up with!

6. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Nope, Anaconda's don't fly well. Now Mamba's can fly like the wind!

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

They can also ride in coach or in a Coach bag.

8. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

That's the infamous hanging coach-whip mamba....

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

No you didn't...