Your scariest situation as a fan

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Golden Steer, May 23, 2011.

1. Golden Steer

Golden Steer 250+ Posts

With the brutal beating of the Giants fan in mind, what’s the scariest situation you’ve been in as a fan going to a game? In terms of having a crime committed against you, not seeing GD up in the booth, watching a 4 yard pass on 3rd and 8, etc.

I’ve never been in a situation where I’ve felt things could get ugly, but the games I’ve been to are the big rivalry ones, OU, ATM, UF-FSU, etc, where as bitter as the game is, there’s a sense of respect between the two groups of fans. I would think that college FB games don’t bring out the casual thug element like either NFL games do, or the cheaper NBA or MLB games. Typical college towns aren’t as rough as big cites either.

So recap the worst situation you’ve been in as a fan? I imagine there will be good stories about UT-OSU from a couple of years back.

2. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

I've been at a Chargers/Raiders game.

Raiders fans are the scum of the earth.

3. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

In my case, I'd have to say leaving Ohio Stadium after our win in 2005. I saw a group of "students" attack a UT senior citizen after the game. He was clad in burnt orange and was walking away from the stadium when he was cussed and then shoved into the ground. Virtually every Horn fan in this part of the Ohio State campus was being cussed and threatened as they walked by. It was dicey all the way to where we were parked on the Ohio State campus. If you were wearing orange, you were a marked man. (I felt safer only because I was walking with an Ohio State friend and we were wearing t-shirts commemorating the game.)

Even my Ohio State friend was shocked by the local fan behavior toward our fans.

4. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

Mine was at Ohio Stadium after the victory in '05. We were walking back to the car as fast as possble when I dodged a an unopened beer can that was thrown from a second story balcony. Rudest fan base by far!!

5. Golden Steer

Golden Steer 250+ Posts

Details on the Chargers/Raiders game?

As for OSU, besides the cowardly pushing of an old guy, was there a chance of a real fight if you talked trash back, or was it all posing about "you better leave you steer, etc". My thoughts on such a situation would be to walk up to the nearest thug and without saying anything punch them in the face, then turn around and leave. But then once you've been shot at (Desert Storm '91) you don't have a lot of patience for trash talk. Either fight or shut up.

What teams have a gang following to them (like the Dodgers) who are just looking for a way to talk trash and/or jump somone when they outnumber them?

6. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

Walking out of the stadium after the Horns beat USC, I was expecting some sore losers to act out. I was pleasantly surprised to not come across that, though, especially since alcohol was served in the stadium. The only comments that I received from USC fans were a simple "good game" and the like. It's sad that the tOSU fans can't act like that. Seems like corn has a good fanbase to start a new rivalry with.

7. Golden Steer

Golden Steer 250+ Posts

I think bowl games get a very different fan base than home games. You have to be dedicated to fly away, spend $$$ on hotels, rent cars, and so on, so it weeds out bandwagon fans, and gang members.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

You younger guys missed all of the fun. Try walking down Commerce Street on the Friday night before the ou game with chairs, bottles and couches flying from the Adolphus and Baker Hotels in addition to the ou crowd.

Also, Fayettenam in '69. I never thought the oklahoma state line would be a savior for anything. After that game you got in your car, joined a convoy of Texas license plates heading west and got the hell out of Dodge.

9. BeatYaEasyEasy

BeatYaEasyEasy 250+ Posts

Member of LHB. At Kansas State in '06 wasn't the worst, but it wasn't great. The "always classy" Husker fans were pretty ****** that year, too. Worst for me was at Texas Tech in 2002.

10. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

We used to travel to one road game for the Cowboys each year. I have seen them play in some venues that you would think would be pretty hostile, including Oakland and New York. As a quick side note by the way, the Giants fans were very cool. Not at all what we were warned they would be. They invited us to their tailgate party, offering plenty of food and drink, and were all very gracious after the game considering the Cowboys beat the crap out of them 35-0 that day. So hats off to them.

By far and away my scariest moments were seeing the Cowboys play the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field in 1996. The situation was ripe for trouble too. It was Monday Night Football, meaning both a national stage and all day to drink up. Opening game of the season. The Cowboys were coming off a Super Bowl win. Then Emmitt Smith gets injured early in the game and the Cowboys were losing from the get go. And the fuels for the fire just kept coming. Fights kept breaking out around us, Bears fans throwing beers and food, mob mentality, police arresting folks all around us, etc. Just very vicious and physical and totally ******* behavior from the home crowd. Had never seen anything close to it before. I just tried to keep a low profile and get out of there without getting my *** kicked. And it is a shame because Chicago in itself is such a great city. But I never looked at the same again.

11. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

i agree with the OSU comments. I was there with my son. He was about 10 at the time. No one touched him but he was screamed and cussed at many times.

12. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Arkansas at Little rock 1991. We lost 14-13, probably the worst game I have ever witnessed other than rout 66, and the inbred fans were bad from the start. This was last game we had to play with them and I believe they were letting us know how they felt about us. We had whiskey bottles and ice thrown at us in the stands and after the game they were bad. That was the only time at any football game I thought I would have to fight a crowd to get out. Pigs have always been the worst fans when playing at home, but seem to be worse when they win than when they lose. Not sure why we scheduled them again. Good riddance.

13. UT Rules

UT Rules < 25 Posts

OK, i've actually never told this story, but I believe the statute of limitation has expired.

It was the night before Texas/OU Sux in 1990. Was out on Commerce street with some good friends (brothers) and we were drinking quite heavily. I had somehow met up with a couple of attractive OU co-eds (yes, they do exist) earlier in the evening and was at a local establishment busily drinking them into compliance with my FMF orgiastic fantasy. Before my plans could pay off beyond a couple of sapphic kisses, several Sooner guys showed up and in an unfortunate coincidence one of them knew the girls. He was quite irritated that she had switched allegiances to the Horns and immediately starting agitating other Sooners to do harm to me and my buddies...

We ignored them until one of them grabbed a girl, at that point, and sensing my plans for later that evening might not come to fruition, I reacted inappropriately. Realizing that my buddies and I were in the definite minority, I struck my Tecate bottle indelicately on the underside of the table, producing a rather jagged shank. I then rose from my seat and set about threatening every Sooner I could see (and I was likely seeing double) with my recently fashioned shiv, telling everyone that we were just having drinks and were in no mood to tolerate ungentlemanly behavior - my buddies stood behind showing solidarity, and in no more than a couple of seconds quite a bit of space had opened around us. I was feeling ecstatic, believing my evening was now set, when my best friend noted that Imy hand was spraying blood across the table and floor.

What I had failed to notice was that there were several significant shards of glass stuck in the meaty part of my hand between my thumb and index finger and that I was bleeding rather profusely, with a bit of spray.

A less inebriated friend assisted with the removal of some larger shards and insisted that a doctor's visit was necessary. At this point the young ladies begged off and my conquest was lost.

I still have the scars and because of the shape of them had a difficult time convincing the doctor that my wounds were not the result of a human bite - which would have required a much more extensive treatment.

All misery was made up for on the following day when St Peter pulled another miracle and we won 14-13.

14. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

I was in College Station- weeks after the Bonfire tragedy. The night before the game- at the Dixie, while waiting to urinate- someone yells out- "Does anyone here think the horns have a chance against my ags?" I said - "I do!"- that was pretty much all I said.

When i came out of the bathroom- people were staring at me. It was very, very awkward to be in a bar, and get stares from all angles. 10 minutes later- my group/table was beginning to be surrounded- the jackass from the bathroom started telling people I was making fun of the bonfire victims- it took 2 ags (that we were friends with) plus 2 Horn friends to surround me and tell everyone that I would never say anything about the victims. I was about 2 minutes from being jumped on by 10 meat heads who lied about me to start a fight.

I am still shocked today..

15. Thunderlips

Thunderlips 25+ Posts

September, 1997 - Rout 66. Nothing violent happened, just general fear for the state of the program.

16. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

Just about every home game last year.

17. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

Well, OSU was pretty rough... Lots of drunk people. Middle-aged guys in their Katzenmoyer Jerseys and Cut-offs...

Fortunately most of them were past the point of real belligerance and were tipping towards sleeping in the street.

But had people throw bottles at us... Had one fellah follow us several blocks screaming and slurring incoherently about Steers and turds and somesuch...

He was eventually distracted by four elderly Longhorn Fans in a big white (rented) Lincoln. He started banging on their hood and windows like a lunatic.

At one point we were on bus... and two guys got on and started screaming about the game and threatening people... I thought the bus driver would intervene, but after a few stops one of the drunk guys, who had been inching closer and closer to the side exit steps, fell *** backwards out of the side door, and his buddies followed. that was pretty hilarious.

While it was not a threat to me personally, it was pretty scary, right after the game... being a bout fifty feet form the entrance to the Varsity... there were cops in riot gear lining up, a helicopter overhead and Buckeye sorority girls literally throwing bottles at cops next to us... I thought, well, this reminds me a lot of Blackhawk Down.

I recall telling my fiancee, hold my hand, don;t look anyone in the eye and walk fast. We spent the next hour or so veerign towards our hotel and sticking as close as we could to groups of cops. It was a pretty weird experience.

18. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Univeristy of Central Florida.
    It was like walking a 2 mile gauntlet to the stadium from our hotel.
    I had my daughter and 16 yr old niece. This is what my frightened niece said to me about 3/4 of the way to the stadium, "Haven't these people ever heard of Jesus?”

That’s how classless the meth heads were.

19. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

tOSU in 2005.
    Events before the game:
    -In your face screaming at us
    -"Someone **** on your shirt" comments
    During the game:
    -"Spill" drinks on us
    -"Accidently" push us
    -Spit gum on the seat so we sit in it
    -Non-stop swearing at us
    Thankfully the police were able to (mostly) stop the in-game idiots.
    Returning to the car was the safest part...

20. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Have been told by friends who went that Columbus was worst by far but for me it was Lubbock 1998, closest I have ever come to getting in afight as a couple of Tech fans after the game followed me and a group to our cars cussing non stop at us and challenging any or all of us to a fight. Have never been back as that is not an experience i would ever want to repeat.

I mean seriously I am as big a fan as anyone but who gets into fights over a football game!!!!!

21. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

Leaving the 1997 Rose Bowl after the Ucla loss. Angry young dudes lined the sidewalk (I question their allegiance to Ucla; they just looked like all-around dullards) . They were looking to make eye contact with anyone to start something.

Another one was, Syracuse after the Final Four loss in 2005. That was no picnic. The Syracuse student section, nearly as a whole, lined up in (essentially) a phalanx to taunt TEXAS fans. Although they lacked hoplons and spears, they did however possess the requisite menacing taunts and malicious intent. A bare few guys in TEXAS orange took the bait.

They actually had to come halfway down the side of the Superdome to get closer, because they were in the Southwest corner of the stadium.

Syracuse fans are my least favorite fans to this day.

22. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Sitting in the stands after the 1969 UT-Arkansas game, was the only time I really feared for my safety at a game. We celebrated longer than the locals thought appropriate, because pint whiskey bottles started sailing down from above us and shattering on the cement all around our area. We got the hell out of...hell, and quickly.
    Then there was the near melee that somehow failed to erupt after an aggy baseball game in College Station. I wandered over towards the railroad tracks after a big UT victory there to get a picture of the postgame scoreboard, apparently upsetting some of the local pick-up truck fans parked right at the tracks (they didn't bar that back then). My UT baseball hat was knocked off by some brave soul, and rocks started flying, then a bunch of UT fans at a nearby tailgate came to my aid. Much colorful verbiage ensued, but the incident ended without EMS assistance.
    Nothing tops the early OU weekend Friday nights. How anyone survived is a mystery best left to the research of future historians.

23. converse

converse 250+ Posts

Not as bad as some of the other stories, but I made the mistake of sitting with some HS buddies in the aggy student section in 1987. IIRC, Horns were big underdogs but were making a game of it. Early in the game, I would cheer when we made a good play. A little after halftime, my cheers would be greeted with a forearm to the back of my head. Turned around and the guy acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. Fellow aggys around acted like I was instigating something (I was sober and definitely not looking for trouble).

Horns ended up dropping the game 20-13 (or something like that). I was more than a little relieved - but hated myself for it [​IMG].

24. HornDawg1957

HornDawg1957 100+ Posts

My friend and I got off relatively lucky at the Ohio State game in 2005, based on what the other posters are saying.

While we were wandering on the street next to the stadium one jerk did get right into the ear of my friend and yelled, "Texas sucks!" My friend's ear was ringing for 15 minutes after that. But a family of tOSU fans invited us to join them at their tailgate, so we spent a couple of pleasant hours hanging out with them before the game.

During the game, we were surrounded by tOSU fans, but none of them bugged us. We didn't do anything to antagonize them, either, even when Limas made the game-winning catch.

After the game, we were happy that it was dark enough that burnt orange and scarlet looked pretty similar. We took a roundabout walk to our car, about 20 minutes away. We heard a lot of irate tOSU fans yelling at UT fans, but we didn't see any incidents. Other than a couple of guys who yelled at us from across the street, we didn't get hassled ourselves. When we got inside the car, I said, "I can't believe we won!" My friend said, "I can't believe we're still alive!"

25. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

I was in agroidville one time and I dropped my wallet. I kicked it all the way to Hearne before I would bend over and pick it up. Pretty scarry!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

27. Dovey317

Dovey317 250+ Posts

I had the privilege of tackling a Tech fan in Lubbock in the middle of a crowd of Tech students leaving the game. He ripped a stetson off a LHB girls head, leaving a scar on her neck from the string that was holding it on. He took off with the hat, I dropped my drums and ran after him. He thought he lost us in the crowd and turned around only to be thumped by my shoulder to his gut and a clothesline by another band member. The cops got there in less than a minute and he was arrested.....and the girl got her hat back.

28. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Scariest was the l969 Arkansas game. I was in the LHB, and they threw bottles at us all night. One came at an angle and went over my shoulder but straight to the ground, so didn't hit the person in front of me. After the game, we were celebrating and thought everything was OK when an older woman (I was 20 so don't really know how old she was [​IMG] ) came down the steps and started yelling at us. A police officer walked up to her to get her to leave, and she pushed him backwards down the concrete steps. That's when it became obvious that this wasn't normal "rivalry". They finally had to bring a lot of the Arkansas band back to surround us so we could leave the stadium. We were just lucky that no one was hurt, because that was certainly a possibility. I don't think I have been back to Ark. since.

Didn't reallly have any trouble at OSU - one guy said we were just lucky and I just replied "You started at about the 40 everytime and we still won, so I don't think that is lucky". He didn't reply and we just kept walking! We did get lost going to the car, so someone might have given us wrong directions. [​IMG]

29. KEYSERSOZE

KEYSERSOZE 100+ Posts

30. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts