Your Texas - Ou Traditions..

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Lidig8r, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Lidig8r

Lidig8r 250+ Posts

Finally recovered from the UCLA debacle. And looking forward to this weekend. So, what are your Texas - Ou traditions?

Friday night the past 2 years, Ive taken the wife to Craft steakhouse. Have some great food, go up to the Ghostbar for a bit... don't stay out too late, home, some rousing night before the game sex... then...

Wake up Saturday. Burnt orange polo type shirt, khakis, burnt orange ostrich boots. Start with a strong home made bloody mary (cardamon is the secret ingredient). Small flask of Makers Mark to slide in the boot.

Leave the house at least 3 hours before the game. Take the secret back roads to the Fairgrounds where traffic is very light.

Fletchers Corny Dog and two beers... light up a cigar before the game. Meander over to the Texas - Ex tent behind the Natural Science museum.

Take in the game and always get there before the Showband of the Southwest plays.

When we win, light up cigar number 2 in the stands... slow walk back to the car and usually...

Mi Cocina after the game.

Been to every Texas - Ou game since 1977 except for one (2000 ... Indian Princess campout!).

Hook 'em till their trailer home collapses.

2. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

Fletchers & and ride the big ferris wheel pregame.
    Has been successful 4 time recently, goin' for 5.

3. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

Golf Friday Morning.
    Fair Friday afternoon.
    Javier's for dinner w/ Friends

Saturday
    Secret back way to the Fair.
    Should be there by 10AM
    Cold foamers with friends.
    Head into the mighty Cotton Bowl at 1:30.
    Midway after the game.

23 straight games. Now about to let a headless offense spoil the best weekend of the year.

4. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

Lots of this: [​IMG]

5. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Week preceding-- Make special "Red River Jams" mix for CD/iPod. Distribute multiple copies to friends so they can be as pumped as I am.

Leave Austin early Friday to beat traffic, arrive noon, hang out at hotel drinking beer with friends all afternoon.

Take cab to Campisi's Egyptian for dinner with large group of friends.

Take cab to wherever we go next, often Lakewood Bar and Grill to see the world-renowned Diamondbag show live in concert

Take cab back to hotel.

Wake up early Saturday morning, screwdrivers in the hotel room, two Keystone Light tallies for the cab ride to the Fair (tradition dates back to poor college days, please don't ridicule me for this [​IMG] ), usually instructing new cab driver in secret back roads to Fair Park.

Arrive Fair Park by 8:30 (even for 2:30 games), immediately get $100 worth of coupons, hit Fletcher's for corny dog breakfast, hit Bailey's for cheap wax cup beer

Car show, midway, rides, German beer booth for more beer, Bailey's for more beer, until gametime

Watch Texas BEAT THE HELL OUTTA OU

More wax cup beer, more Fletcher's, stick around Fair until dark

Take cab to sports bar of some kind to watch night games.

Take cab to hotel to get some sleep

Wake up first thing in the morning, get Dallas Morning News with articles and pictures of sweet victory over hated Sooners.

Give beaming smiles to other Longhorns in the hotel lobby who are proudly wearing their burnt orange.

Give polite nods and knowing grins to the few Sooners in the hotel who are brave enough to wear their crimson gear even after yet another loss to Texas.

Smirk at the people checking out of the hotel early, dressed in Dallas Cowboys blue or neutral gray. I know who you are, Sooners. I saw you yesterday screaming at me that "Texas sucks." Enjoy the trip back to Oklahoma.

Go to special secret breakfast place that I won't name, but many of you know it because I see you there every Sunday morning after TX-OU.

Drive home to Austin, listening to Cowboys on radio if there's a noon game.

Those are just a few of my traditions. [​IMG]

6. BLESSMEHORNS

BLESSMEHORNS 250+ Posts

This will be my first time in many years so input needed to get me going....................

7. MaxHorn

MaxHorn 250+ Posts

My band has been playing on TX-OU Friday in Dallas for the last 10 years. It's a huge Longhorn party. Shameless plug:

The Link

We drink heavily. We sing "OU SUCKS" in place of 'SWEET CAROLINE." A splenid time is had by all.

[​IMG]

8. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

do what I can to pass the time. Only invite 1 friend over to watch the game with. Try not to get too drunk in the event of a Loss. Pretty much become utterly useless the rest of the day because... well... I am mentally exhausted.

9. b UT ful

b UT ful 250+ Posts

Going to see Tosh's standup at the PAC Friday night. So that kinda messes up the tradition in Dallas Friday night.

What time should I leave Austin Saturday morning? Well earlier than the sun. Meet up friends at a hotel. Flasks, fair, fletcher's, fun and hopefully a Hook 'em win! [​IMG]

Oh then drive back that night because my brother has work on Sunday. [​IMG]

10. SWHorn

SWHorn 500+ Posts

Alright, where is the cheap beer? I'll buy you one if you'll tell me. [​IMG]

11. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

I always cook a huge pot of chicken and sausage gumbo.

12. suekel

suekel 25+ Posts

Leave Austin by 10AM latest on Friday to beat traffic. Stop in West along with 456,767 other fans for Kolaches and a restroom break. Chill at hotel for a couple hours, having drinks. Head to Iron Cactus around 4-5 to get our spot on the rooftop deck. Eat and drink with our group of 14-18 til about 10. Stumble out and hit a couple other area bars before finally hailing a cab back to the hotel.

Saturday, up early, plan to be in a cab on our way to the fair by 9 this year. As soon as we get there, buy $100 of coupons. Have our traditional "beer and a corndog toast" right off the bat. Wander around the fair a bit before finding a table in the food court a couple of hours before game time. Group grows as more and more friends meet us in food court to eat bad food and drink beer from wax cups til it's time to head into the stadium. Watch Texas kick OU's *** (or at least just win, hopefully), then spend the rest of the day wandering the fair and celebrating. If the headlining act is good we'll hang around, otherwise we might head over to the Bar of Soap for a last drink or two before finding a cab back to hotel.

Sunday, I always have to drive home because my husband is too hungover. Get back to Austin and spend day on couch watching NFL.

This will be my 18th consecutive year, my husband's 23rd. We never miss it.

13. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

I traditionally leave early like a little ***** when we're getting our *** whooped [​IMG]

14. SWHorn

SWHorn 500+ Posts

Good grief that crap is getting old in every thread, Taps. Let it freaking go.

And I wasn't even a part of that argument. Geez.

15. darius

darius 500+ Posts

Fletcher's corn dog...turkey leg...funnel cake

16. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

17. muschyD

muschyD 250+ Posts

18. I Mess With Texas to prove that their state motto is incorrect.

I used to burn Texas flags and destroy Texas prafernelia, but then someone told me it was an anti-litterin campain, so now I just drive across the border, throw trash on the ground, and drive back to Norman.

19. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

20. Unques prist

Unques prist 250+ Posts

Get to my in-laws house outside of Denison, Texas Friday afternoon. Hit the sack early. Up at around 5:30ish and out the door by 6 with my son. Drinking lots of water to hydrate. Pick up dad and mom at their hotel off of 75 around 7:15. Take secret back road to Fair Park and park on the Fair grounds. Enter the Fair before 8:00 to soak up the day and watch the Fair wake up. Beer in wax cup around 8:00 and head to Han's to harrass the staff to get the beer tapped. Get another beer and walk around and watch folks, enjoy dad's company while my mom takes son to walk around the Fair to get away from mine and granddad's debauchery. More friends show up at Hans' and the drinking, laughing and lying is in full force. Eat a Hans' Plate, more Spaten OctoberFest see my ou friends as well. Made every game since 88 except 1996. Love this day.

21. ATXMAN_76

ATXMAN_76 < 25 Posts

Started in 2003. every year until this one....
    we go to the westend and hit up the hooters. Usually pre drunk, get cut off, talk smack to the ou homos that are there, ask every year why all the Dallas Stars jersey. Remember why. then off to the Hoff. on the way make friends and enemies. Start chants like "F**K this guy" and "OU sucks" threaten to spank an ou kids *** because nhe was raised wrong....and his dad too. End up not beating the kid. better off. Jump the rail and stand in the middle off the yearly ou parade. NO FEAR! but it stinks out there. Wobble home withg beers in my pockets. get told by police to pour it out. police leave, pull out other beer. yell at ou fan for not warning me. find some others to yell at. pass out. wake up early because the game seems to have to be on bright and FN early. make it to the fair and gobble down some fletchers and get some beads for the collection!

last year which i hope doesn't become a tradition....got the riot police involved because an ou fan pushed me from behind [​IMG] i indeed pushed him and all 4 of his friends back. I was told that 3 out of 5 fell to the ground. huh maybe i should play o line this weekend. huh any how the plastic shield police showed up in a flash but i was gone because my sober better half saved me. this time the retaliator got away. that is all i remember or am at liberty to say. hookem and here's to many more memories. love the game and don't move it. 35-17 lock it in! [​IMG]

22. TorontoMick

TorontoMick 100+ Posts

Morning of game I walk my dog Bevo with his state flag bandana(only day he wears it every year). Right before kickoff, I go out behind my lil neighbourhood pub, look southwest, and shoot my good vibes to our boys gettin ready to run out of the Cotton Bowl tunnel. And, if the boys are behind going into the fourth quarter, I switch to the fourth quarter bottles of Bud from what I was drinking for the first three quarters. Hook Em Baby! Beat the shite outta ou! [​IMG] Mick

23. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

From the past, a tradition I need to renew somehow, people move, friends get distant, relatives pass on....

When in Austin, I'd call up a buddy or two on Saturday AM about 9:00 am, pick them up, ice down a small cooler with a quart of beer for each, plastic stadium cups, and....

...hit the back roads to Elgin, driving probably 20 mph or so, listening to sports talk, and just getting silly about anything and everything, current/past girlfriends, past UT-OU games, work, ... whatever.

Wind up at the Southside Market, and each buys a few pounds of raw Elgin hot guts --- can't buy it in Austin, a meat inspection/regulatory thing I guess ---- on the way out of Elgin stop at a convenience store, reload as it were, and drive the slow drive back to ATX.

About 11:00, at the home base house, whoever will have the largest supply of col'beer, fire up a grill, haul the TV out onto the front yard and turn it up real loud, get out the lawn chairs, grab a beer, put the 20 pounds or so of raw sausage on the grill --- have a kitchen towel handy to grab and turn the glorious meat-filled intestines to keep them from burning --- get out the white bread and mustard, grab another beer, oh, the sausage is already done, break off a piece just long enough for a piece of bread, spluttt a gob of mustard on it, grab another beer, listen to the opening intro of the Red River SHOOTOUT (sorry, it's NOT the Red River RIVALRY), wobble out of the lawn chairs to stand for the "Eyes" before the kickoff, grab another beer....

and for some reason don't remember too much of the game details, but mostly, except when the paperclips steal a win, feel groovy, grab another beer, pass out in a lawn chair on the front lawn.

Doesn't EVERYBODY do this? [​IMG]

24. pgv645

pgv645 25+ Posts

On Friday I leave work after lunch, because I usually get caught up in the moment and throw down some beers. In the meantime my wife meets her mom halfway (Woody's) to Houston to drop the kids off. That night we'll have dinner with friends, this year at Tillman's Roadhouse. We'll finish the night at bar in Uptown or near SMU.

Saturday we wake up late, 9am is late when you have kids. Depending on weather its always an orange polo with khaki shorts and tennies or blue jeans with alligator boots. My flask is always filled with Jim Beam. Bloody Marys at a friends house around 11. My friend has a parking pass (Rockstar). Hang out under the tree near Fletcher's eating corn dogs and sippin' on beer. At halftime same tree more corn dogs and beer. I seem to alway miss the first series in the 3rd qtr.
    After the game we head to TABC or The TOT. Head home and watch one qtr of the night game and pass out.

25. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Come Early
    Be Loud
    Stay Late
    Wear Orange....

26. senorhuba

senorhuba 25+ Posts

- Golf Friday...every year since 85

- Friday night party at my folks house....every year since 81

- Pregame egg puff & bloodies at friends house near fair park...every year since early 90's

- Park in private lot...every year since 76

- Meet up with friends at right heel of Big Tex, source 5 coupon beers, consume several in lovely wax cup, get corny dog pregame, black-eyed peas w/japs post game, consume more 5 coupon beers including half time beers, generally visit the midway, ride the twirling swing ride, meander thru car show, yell OU sux & poooor Sooner and sing Eyes of Texas, etc.....

- Attend game...every year since 76 (except 80 - had mono)

- Post game either go out to eat or eat at folks house, start watching replay, pass out before end of 1st qrtr.....every year since 81

- Sunday wake up, take advil, read paper to make sure that what I seem to remember actually happened, nurse hangover till Cowboy game...think about driving back to Austin....every year since 81

It is 6:33 and OU STILL SUX! Hook 'Em!