Your thoughts

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by live&die40acres, Oct 8, 2011.

1. live&die40acres

live&die40acres 100+ Posts

What are your thoughts regarding this game? Is this more of OU being "THAT" good, or us playing that bad? OU has executed very well today. I see our defense out of place time and time again, being beaten by OU's receivers and our offense, well, you know...

So what do you think? Were our hopes that it wouldn't be a blowout too high after decent performances against mediocre opponents?

2. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

We're too young, inexperienced, too intimidated, not prepared to play a team the caliber of OU. This is a murphy's law day for us, but in a couple of years, we'll be really good. Give it time. This is not an "instant gratification" season. We're better than last year, but just not there yet.

3. atxbomber

atxbomber 1,000+ Posts

OU is better and more experienced across the board.

We got a lot of young guys including true freshman at key positions. We ran into a buzz saw in an OU team playing really good ball and looking to make a statement and its showing.

We'll get better. We're young and green.

4. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I think it's a bit of both. OU has fully legitimate top 5 team that we would still be losing to even without the turnovers. We have a new DC a new OC and a team full of underclassmen. OU is just more experienced and polished across the board. I didn't start worrying about saving face against a blow out until they converted on 3rd and 25 and went in for the touchdown. That's when I knew this game was over.

We are going to be salty as hell on both sides of the ball in 2-3 years. Keep the faith [​IMG]

5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

OU is good, for sure, and we just have too many utes on the team to hang with the best teams in the country.

6. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

This team is young and inexperienced at almost every key position and those with some level of experience are having to operate in completely new systems on offense and defense. Games like this one (especially given the caliber of OU's team this year) should not be surprising under those circumstances. Frankly, this is close to what I suspect many on this board expected to happen when the season began. The team's performance in the first 4 games created a lot of optimism, which it should have to some degree. Games like this one (and possibly next week) serve as a reminder that these kids still have a lot to learn. They will.

7. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

Straight up, they are better and the odds makers were saying they would win by 10-11. We were going to need to win the TO battle and get some ST scores to stay in the game. Those have gone OU's way other than the one kick return. At some point our freshman were going to make freshman mistakes, unfortunately they made them all today. Our #11 ranking had more to do with potential, teams ahead of us losing and our name than it did with us being a team ready to compete with Top 10 caliber teams.

8. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

It's just not our year, yet.

9. Dovey317

Dovey317 250+ Posts

OU is just that good and Texas is just that green.

They've dominated us in the trenches and have forced many poor decisions by McCoy and Ash. Texas D-line has gotten some pressure on Landry, but he has continually made class decisions with the ball that minimized any potential damage for the Sooners. McCoy and Ash both lack that type of poise right now.

Our secondary has also been outclassed. Numerous one on one match ups put us at a great disadvantage simply because of the Sooners experience at receiver and Texas' youth. There's nothing to panic about. People just need to keep realistic expectations. The combination of Landy's poise and a Texas secondary that has not had time to develop chemistry amounts to another great advantage for the Sooners.

All in all, we got taught a lesson by a much better team. There's no shame in that. Now let's see what the coaches can do with the ample amount of game tape and learning material they will have this next week. We should expect some more growing pains, but the future is still bright.

[​IMG]

10. L4UT

L4UT 100+ Posts

We are too young and they are that good - I just wish we wouldn't have given away so many points so it wouldn't have been such a blowout- brighter days ahead- I still like the attitude of this group - they'll get their turn

11. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Another year. A slightly different set of excuses.

12. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

All of the above.
    They are that good, that experienced, that well coached.
    And once the turnovers pushed the score and momentum, it snowballed.

This game is notorious for momentum.
    More than any other game I know of.
    With half the stands a home game for the team with the momentum, there's probably a mathematical equation on how much harder it is to get it back, even with 50 percent of the fans present, than to maintain it and build on it.

Talent, experience, coaching, turnover advantage, early lead, momentum is better than Texas' talent, inexperience, coaching, and nothing but disadvantage after the turnovers and scoring started.

13. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

Wow ... I'm surprised by the optimism on this thread.

I didn't see a single positive out of this team today ... NOT ONE! Poor execution, play calling, tackling blocking ... it reminded me alot of last years team.

6-6 looks about right ... we beat KU and somebody else ... not sure who ... maybe tech.

14. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I don't believe McCoy has the arm to be a long term solution at QB, but can be a capable backup. Either Ash improves and steps up, or Brewer takes it at some point next year. Whoever is in there needs a better offensive line, or it's going to be more of the same.

On defense I think the young CBs will get better, but we need some serious upgrades in the middle.

15. lanceut

lanceut 250+ Posts

16. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

The more I think about it, I'm still not sure how good OU is really. Checking the FSU score and seeing them getting handled by Wake Forest its clear they were not a legit Top 5 team. Its obvious we are not a Top 15 team, so OU hasn't really been challenged yet. The way we've played today we would lose to just about anyone.

17. Horn_in_Toronto

Horn_in_Toronto 250+ Posts

I think whats really worrisome is that the Texas WR, O-line and secondary are probably among the worst in the conference, maybe even in all of college football.
    OU D was just too much for the O to handle! And the secondary couldn't cover an 80 year old on crutches. Landry Jones could have hit him for 15+ yard gains against the Texas secondary.

18. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

OU is a lot better than us, but losing the TO battle 5-0 and giving up 3 defensive TDs made it look a lot worse than it should have been.

19. BigVegasHorn26

BigVegasHorn26 250+ Posts

Paging DJ Monroe? Anyone? Harsin went full on Greg Davis today.

20. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

21. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

Way over our heads today..the youth, inexperience & intimidation showed we've got a lot to learn to be consistent & compete for the MNC. This team will definitely improve & they know this. Our time is coming - remember, we're playing mostly fr/sophs, new OC/DC (amongst other new coaches) - this was a wake up call.
    Having said all that, I'll be in Austin to watch this same team beat Okie State next Saturday [​IMG]

22. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Maybe stoops and ou, like a&m, get up to play Texas more than Texas does.

23. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

24. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

We need to work on these things

1) Leadership
    2) OL
    3) get a nasty attitude
    4) DB's
    5) Recruit better OL

25. BurntOrange4ever

BurntOrange4ever 250+ Posts

We will see if this week was an abberation or the norm next week vs Okie Lite. IMO, everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong this week. Say what you will , but majority of this team, including the coaches are only 5 games in for Texas. We took a beating like this in 03 and won NC 2 years later.

26. HornsSeraph

HornsSeraph < 25 Posts

We consistently have very good to great recruiting classes every year. Yet, we have a high percentage of young players seeing significant PT, which should mean that those young guys are better than the older guys- and those young guys were horribly out-talented by OU today.

Is Mack not nearly as good a recruiter as he is purported to be? Are we unable to coach up our guys to the same extent as other teams? Is it pure scheme that is destroying us?

I'm no football guru, I don't know the answer to these questions. I just know how utterly frustrated I am at not only losing to OU but coughing up record setting losses in the past decade and thinking about "next year".

The team has heart. Unfortunately I don't think they have much else at the moment.

[​IMG]

27. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

my thoughts: OU STILL SUCKS

28. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

Some you over react much? Hope none of you have jobs that require a set of balls.

29. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

The DBs were no where to be found today.

30. Texasboozer

Texasboozer 25+ Posts

For those of you excited about 2-3 years down the road, what are your thoughts regarding why we should have to wait for 2-3 years down the road? This is Texas last time I checked. It should not take 3-4 years (including last year) to ever rebuild to the point we're competitive with OU. I'm proud the kids fought and played hard. Good for them for not giving up. I still don't understand how the hell we got into this position in the first place though.