Your Top 5 UT QB's - All Time

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by WorsterMan, Aug 21, 2019.

1. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

At the office, friendly argument broke out a short time ago among several Horn fans about the Top 5. This inspired me to start a thread during these dog days of August.

There was little to no argument about Vince, Colt or Street.

However, several issues about others... mostly about Simms, Applewhite, Gardere. Simms numbers may have been better than Major but I rank Major above him at #6. Gardere was 4-0 versus ousucks... Phillips team won a NC in 1970.

My top 5 in order:

1. Vince Young
    2. James Street
    3. Colt McCoy
    4. Bobby Layne
    5. Eddie Phillips

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  2. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

It's hard for me at 50. I know there are those before me, but I can't evaluate them.

1 Vince
    2 Colt
    3 James
    4 Bobby
    5 Peter Gardere (4-0 over OUsux my green donkey dik)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

If the world was right, Colt would've had a Heisman, 2 NCs, and would have gone down as easily the greatest QB in UT history. But the world ain't right.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'd have to put Bobby Layne at #2, and James Street was a friend, and Colt was outstanding.

My opinion that Eddie Phillips ranks with Jack Mildren are the two best Wishbone QBs of all time,

• Like Like x 2
  5. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

My favorite QB was James Brown but no he was not the best. Sam has a lot of the same qualities I saw in James. Far more talented of course.

1. VY
    2. Colt
    3. James
    4. Bobby
    5. Eddie Phillips, Duke Carlisle (tie)

6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

1. VY
    1a. Colt
    3. Street
    4. Phillips
    5. Marty Akins

I'm not disputing the legend of Bobby Layne, but I have a very hard time comparing guys from that era to those who played since the invention of the facemask.

7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Compared to many here I've been around the program a relatively short time since only 1990. However I feel I can say that I would not put Gardere in the top five just because he beat OU four times. That's a great feat and definitely deserves it's own special place in UT QB history, but the rest of his career he seemed unimpressive to the point of us calling him Incomplete Pete as opposed to Peter the Great. He was one of the most frustrating QB's outside of OU.

So here is a one eyed shot at my list:

1) Vince
    2, 3, 4) James, Bobby, Colt....you choose the order, splitting hairs here to decide
    5) I'm not sure but I might put Applewhite here (see below) not knowing a couple of the other ones listed above.

I wasn't a fan of Simms. He had great stats but seemed to always throw an interception, many times in the backfield for a TD, at the most critical times and to me he couldn't get it done when the game was on the line.

I loved Major and he may have had the biggest heart in a QB outside of Vince. Athletically he seemed inferior to everyone listed above, but man he seemed to know what strings to pull to make stuff happen or where to go at the right times to get that critical first down or TD and was a true leader of teams that weren't the best we've had. I've always wondered what would have happened if he were born later and been on those Colt teams.

Great discussion!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

1. Vince Young
    2. Colt McCoy
    3. Bobby Layne
    4. Major Applewhite
    5. Chris Simms

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

1. Vince
    2. Slick
    3. Carlisle
    4. Colt
    5. Layne

NC winners go first.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

1. Vince
    2. James
    3. Duke (who also played defense occasionally--winning int against atm)
    4. Colt
    5. Bobby Layne

• Like Like x 1
  11. WorsterMan

My 6-10... not necessarily in order:

6. Major
    7. Duke
    8. Brown
    9. Simms
    10. Akins

12. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Worster, where would you put Sam right now, top 10?
    Where do you project him on your list for one more year, and possibly two more years?
    Value your opinion, want to know what we’re witnessing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WorsterMan

Thanks. I purposely didn't include Sam as he is still playing. Kid has grit, drive, a determination to succeed and will to win we have not seen in a long time. He inspires others to excel and do their best because he is doing his best. Not many players can do that.

We don't know Sam's personal ceiling but most of us would agree it is very high. We are uncertain what achievements he will inspire the team to accomplish in the 2 years he has left, but I think most of us anticipate with the incredible talent around him and good coaching, we will see championships.

I believe he is potential Top 5 among UT QB's, perhaps top 3 if he stays healthy... I love the kid.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  14. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm going

1. VY
    2. Colt
    3. Bobby Lane
    4. Major Applewhite
    5. Chris Simms

• Like Like x 1
  15. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Top 5 as what they meant to the program:

1. Vince
    2. Colt
    3. Layne
    4. Street
    5. Brown/Applewhite

:texasflag:

• Like Like x 1
  16. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Thank you sir! Solidifies my opinion on his play, absolutely concur with all the above

17. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

1. Street
    2. VY
    3. Layne
    4. Colt
    5. Applewhite
    6. Carlisle
    7. Mike Cotten
    8. Eddie Phillips
    9. Marty Akins
    10. Gardere

• Like Like x 1
  18. Paul S. Nichols

Paul S. Nichols 25+ Posts

19. Paul S. Nichols

Paul S. Nichols 25+ Posts

I have had the pleasure of seeing all of the great ones perform in person (except Layne only as a professional), and based on that I have to go with this ranking:

#1 James Street...Never lost
    #2 Colt McCoy.....Amazing consistency and accuracy...wish he had not had the pinched nerve.
    #3 Vince Young...probably would have been #1 if he had stayed for his Sr year.
    #4 Eddie Phillips...if you ever saw him run the wishbone it was something...as close to perfection as you could get...he was like a machine and had incredible ball handling skills & instantaneous decision making ability.
    #5 Bobby Layne....Played in single platoon days, was good enough that after seeing
    him play as Freshman QB...fellow freshman QB YA Tittle (from Marshall, Tx who QB'd the NY Giants in the NFL and won 3 NFL Eastern Division Titles & was 1963 NFL MVP) left Texas
    before UT classes started and enrolled at LSU.

As an aside, there is no telling how good Layne could have been if he had not been such a party animal and had taken care of his
    body...he was legendary for partying all night before games.

When I was 5 years old I had the opportunity to go meet Bobby Coach Blair Cherry and Doak Walker when Texas came to Dallas
    to play SMU (1947 )...got all their autographs in the lobby of the old
    Stoneleigh Hotel in Dallas on Maple Ave...it is still there today.

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  20. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Vince
    Slick
    Bobby Layne
    Colt
    Marty Akins

Major
    Eddie Phillips
    Duke Carlisle
    Donnie wiggington
    McEachern

* had Jon Aune not been injured he might have been good enough to join that top 5. Very under rated skills as a passer and would have liked our chances vs ND with his arm. ND didn't respect Randy at all that game, loaded up at the LOS.

* would have loved to have seen Donnie Little red shirted and given quality coaching at that position. Just never had a chance to pan out really

• Like Like x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Run,

Love your list except for one. I agree about Aune. Guy had a cannon arm. With ND loading the box, AJ and Lam could have had historic days with his arm.

No offense to Randy, who has been a friend for over 40 years and continues to tell the story of me in Section 106 that day in October, 1977.

:hookem2:

22. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

any top 5 that doesnt include Slick is BOGUS IMHO........it was obvious that Bradley couldn't run the Bone and James revived the program in 68 and may have saved DKR from being canned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Absolutely no offense to Randy. He led us 11-0 with some nice throws... his pass to Alfred Jackson vs OU is still my favorite... Alfred adjusting during the route to sidestep the hit was a thing of greatness... Randy was a gift to us

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

James was pretty damn talented and knew how to win. He needs to visit the program more often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. BurntOrangeLH

Hence his true quote, "If someone had told me I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself." Last NFL player to not wear a faceguard, ever.

26. BurntOrangeLH

My list until Ehlinger finishes, except Layne at the top.

27. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Ehilnger still has the potential to be as high as #1. He's probably top 4 in running, top 5 in passing, already got a Sugar bowl win and a OU win. or he could regress..who knows.

28. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I was alive when Street was playing, but I can't remember much. My favorites in order.
    1 Vince
    2. Colt
    3. Major
    4. James Brown-- I had a blast watching him play.
    5. Chris Simms... He'd rank higher based on talent, but I just hated that when a rusher touched him he would collapse in a heap.

29. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Amazing how short this list is!

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

On talent, Rick McIvor, Jon Aune, Garrett Gilbert would make the list.

Putting Chrissy in the The top 10 (maybe top 25) is an insult to the great players that gave their heart and soul to our program.

:hookem2: