your walk from car to office desk

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by FirstTimeLurker, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Sure but this morning it wasn't anything remotely resembling a Texas summer.

2. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

Yeah but what if it's pouring rain at 5 when it's time for you to walk home?

Like right now, for example, I am stuck at school because it is raining like a mofo here in Houston. I can't walk the 1/2 mile to my car in this without ruining my laptop (thanks UH parking).

3. William Cannon

William Cannon 250+ Posts

4. irishtexan

irishtexan 100+ Posts

Walk to El train and wait for train - about 15 minutes
    Stand on El to bus -- 10 minutes
    Wait for bus and stand on bus to work - 15 minutes
    Walk from bus to work - 5 minutes

All of this is often done in sub-zero chicago winters. sucks.

5. CBDTexas

CBDTexas 100+ Posts

When I worked for the State, my building was at 10th and Brazos. I had to park at 13th and San Jacinto. 80% uphill walk. Took me about 10 minutes which wasn't that bad....but I started every morning drenched in sweat with the occasional irregular heartbeat.

6. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

3.2 mile drive. Park. 100 yard walk to office. I really should ride that on my bike but it's hard enough to make it to work alive in a car let alone a bike. After commuting on the Katy freeway for 5 years no way will I ever live further than 5 miles from my office.

7. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

Just moved from the 5th floor to the 2nd floor in my building!
    Shed at least 15-20 seconds off my time!

8. lnghrngrl

lnghrngrl 25+ Posts

Mine is about 2-4 minutes currently working in Uptown..... on Tuesday when I start my new job in downtown Austin..... that's a totally different story. I am estimating about 10 minutes to get from my car to my building.

9. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

I get to the garage in time to get a primo spot. Its connected via a bridge to the building. The elevators are in the core, so, its maybe two minutes there. Then up 30 floors, another minute. And its 4 minutes down Allen Parkway from the house to the garage. I love it.

10. TenaciousTgarden

TenaciousTgarden 250+ Posts

it takes me longer to walk to my office than it does for me to drive to work.
    10 minutes from my house to the hospital.
    get to the hospital, takes a good 5+ minutes to drive up to the 8th floor where I usually have to park.
    walk across one long *** sky bridge to the next long *** sky bridge (however, there is a starbucks inside one of them, so that helps). Ride an elevator or take the stairs down to the 1st floor. walk across another sky bridge (not that long). Navigate hallways and the ER (that's where the stairs are hidden). Walk up a flight of stairs. Navigate more hallways. Swipe my badge to get through one door, enter a code to get through the next door, and use my key to get into my crappy little office with one computer and one phone that i share with 3 other people.
    Boooooo!

However, in Columbus, I had to park two blocks away from the hospital and had to walk, come rain, sleet, and, yes, the effing snow. For that reason, I try not to complain about my 15 minute walk - at least it is all covered and climate controlled!

11. killerfrog17

killerfrog17 250+ Posts

1 hr. drive to parking garage, five minutes to park (usually level 5) & take elevator up to surface, 10 minute walk to office, up 29 flights.
    Well, up til last Friday anyway. No job there anymore.

12. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

From my home in Seabrook to Hobby, from Hobby to Love Field, rom Love field to the Adam's Mark hotel, check in, hang my clothes in the closet, iron my shirt (since I slept on the flight), take another nap, hotel room down about 9 floors, walk from the "Tower Royale" to the skybridge, skybridge to Bryan Tower, to the escalator down 3 flights, to the elevator to the 29th floor. About 3 hours, 15 minutes.

13. Mal

Mal 100+ Posts

10-15 minutes to bike to work. 15-20 seconds from bike rack to computer. I have the shortest commute at work, but I have a tendency to be quite tardy lately.