You've heard Craig Way, you've heard Musburger....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HuskerNKingwood, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Now you can listen to what the final seconds of the Husker Sports Network radio broadcast sounded like last Saturday night. WARNING: serious homer announcing follows in this clip. You have been warned. Apparently this got mentioned on the Ticket in Dallas. I'm disappointed because normally I like Sharpie, Fiala and Davison but this was disappointing.
    The Link

2. Seasick Sailor

Seasick Sailor 25+ Posts

I really don't think it's that bad. I don't expect a team's regular radio announcers to be unbiased. They gifted us the opportunity, and we damn near threw it away, literally. I liken it to earning a reprieve from the Governor on your way to the electric chair only to hear, "sike" a few seconds later.

How the Pellini brothers acted was inappropriate, and many of the Husker fans I have spoken to since Saturday have not shown the kind of sportsmanship that I once expected from them, but I can't say that I wouldn't be more than a little upset if a similar thing happened to us.

I must say that I have been impressed with how you've handled it. Impressed but not surprised.

[​IMG]

3. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

HNK, between this and the Pellinis' reaction after the game...I have absolutely changed my entire thoughts about the children of the CORN...

..."don't deserve the win..."

4. todobravo

todobravo 25+ Posts

It was a tough loss, so I will cut them a little slack. But saying Texas doesn't deserve to win, and bitching about the refs is BS. They had 5 first downs the whole game and had about 105 yards in total offense. Did they deserve to win anymore than Texas? If Kirkendol catches that pass, it never comes to this. It was cut off on this clip, but the color guy continues that he can't wait until next October when Texas plays in Lincoln. We can't either *****.

5. Horn89

Horn89 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, I don't blame the Husker announcers for saying Texas doesn't deserve it. But the Nebraska decision-making in the last 60 seconds was just as bad as McCoy's, and maybe worse.

6. todobravo

todobravo 25+ Posts

7. borninaustin

borninaustin 100+ Posts

Honestly, other than the color guy toward the end complaining about holding, I didn't hear anything that gave me heartburn. It was gut wrenching for them. Their comments about Texas not deserving to win stemmed from the clock management at the end, not the refs putting a second back on the clock. I think too much is being made of that call (and I personally enjoyed listening to it -- shows the heartfelt emotion of college football).

8. allweatherHorn

allweatherHorn 1,000+ Posts

The way some Cornhuskers tell it, you would think they had led the whole game only to lose on a fluke play. As mentioned above, it was only because of a ridiculous dropped pass that they were in the game to kick yet another FG to take the lead. Sorry, unless you are capable of scoring a TD on offense, you don't deserve to win.

9. hornyhoosier

hornyhoosier 500+ Posts

I love the announcers silence and the extended crowd roar after the field goal.

10. I didn't say I thought it was BAD, I normally like Greg Sharpe, Adrian Fiala, Lane Grindle and Matt Davison - like Sharpie much better than the previous guy Jim Rose. But I'd expect a little bit more from them. Just sayin

11. for_real

for_real 25+ Posts

Neb. beat themselves. Kicked the ball out of bounds and then the horse collar tackle. How can they be mad at anyone else??

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

13. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

Once, when I was a boy, my dad told me something after a particularly tragic loss by my team. He asked me, “Would you accept victory under the same circumstances?” And I realized that I would have.

I imagine the Huskers, and any other team or fan or homer sportswriter, would have accepted victory last Saturday night in Dallas under the same circumstances.

14. Unques prist

Unques prist 250+ Posts

It is sure easy to ***** about the one second being put back on the clock, but everyone (except a few bias Cornfans) accepts it as the right call b/c one second was left on the clock. Just like the first 3 points of the game. Texas gets the 4th and short stop and turnover on downs. The NU back was laying on top of another player. So the refs reviewed the spot, respotted and gave NU the first down which led to 3 points for NU. It was the right call on the re-spot, but without the review, Texas gets the ball, no points for NU and the game could have been entirely different. I guess only the last 1 second of a game matters. [​IMG]

15. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

does Craig Way go on about ou's HOLDING while he is broadcasting the game??? never heard of such...

16. seb44

seb44 250+ Posts

I guess they thought they their 106 total yards of offense made them deserve it more.

17. fall01nk

fall01nk 250+ Posts

It did make me happy when they talked about how much it hurt. I hope it still does.

18. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

Craig Way would never say the other team didn't deserve the victory. Craig has class. He is perhaps the best at what he does.

19. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Fundamentally sound call on the kick itself. Not nearly the objectionable stuff I was warned about...

As to the "deserve" stuff, I can't say I disagree with it in context, which was, how the final minute was mishandled. I am sure there were people who watched with no dog in the fight who thought the same thing.

20. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

I'd expect better from even a HS 6-man play-by-play team. These guys embarrassed themselves beyond belief.

21. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Of course they were bummed, just like UT's announcers were thrilled. But the pbp guy gave the result of the play and the score of the game.

22. Horn89

Horn89 1,000+ Posts

Slightly off-topic: I grew up in Houston and the Rocket radio guy (Gene Peterson) might be the most biased announcer in the history of sports, but he did a great job in describing the games, and he was wildly entertaining to listen to. I'm less bothered by "homers" than I am by utterly incompetent broadcasters (e.g. Dave South).

23. WhHorn

WhHorn 250+ Posts

The radio guy even says at the start, that when he threw the ball out of bounds there was one second left.

24. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

Those guys must be related to Dave South. Wow! Theyr'e horrible. : [​IMG]

25. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

I didn't think they were too bad. I expect a schools announcers to be biased and that was a killer of a game to lose. Yes the whole "they didn't deserve to win this one", was pretty lame, but I have heard A LOT worse.

26. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

27. Sultan5000

Sultan5000 25+ Posts

Does anyone have access to the clip from the "...darkest day in Cornhusker history" announcement?

Can't recall whether it was the first Big12 Championship or the breaking of the win streak at Lincoln.

I don't think it used to be this way with Neb. I recall them as being very good sports in the past. Remember the ovation given to Ricky Williams as he left the field in LIncoln?

I just think they're frustratred. And not just by Texas.

28. jamesmaner

jamesmaner 500+ Posts

Does anyone have a link to Craig Way's call at the end of the game? Its gotta be good.