Yukon/Tahoe vs. Pathfinder

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by RichUT, Jun 10, 2005.

1. RichUT

RichUT 250+ Posts

The wife and I are about to buy a new vehicle, and I think we have it down to these two. We love the size and look of the GM vehicle, but have concerns about build quality and overall reliability.

We love the price and dependibility of the Nissan, but aren't sold on the exterior appearance and smaller interior.

Do any of you have any thoughts or experiences with either vehicle that you would like to share? In particular, I am curious to hear from Yukon/Tahoe owners and hear what kind of experience they have had as far as mechanical issues.

2. HKemhorns

HKemhorns 25+ Posts

We have a year and a half old Yukon XL. No problems.

....except some shithead stole the TV out of it. They are theft magnets.

3. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

friends have abd have both. as a Texan now living in NY and wondering why folks buy more car then they need....go ahead and get the size of the American car and the GM over the Chevy (as I guy who owned a Chevy truck and loved it)

get tint, get cloth seats, get 31" tires and diesel or dual exhaust. trust me, its about gas cost and performance not testosterone. the tires are just enough for going to a ranch w/out buying more tire than you need.

4. Mizzou415

Mizzou415 100+ Posts

I have a 2001 Z71 Tahoe with 92k miles on it and haven't had a single problem. The only expenses have been gas, oil changes, tires and brake pads.

5. My neighbor got a nissan armada and loves it. It seems like it is much closer in size to the chevy/gm.

6. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

I have a 97 Pathfinder and have had few problems other than wear and tear.

I hate the look of the new Pathfinders. They've gone too boxy. However, as far as durability goes, you can't go wrong with Nissan, Toyota, or Honda.

7. nysooner

nysooner 25+ Posts

I actually just bought a new trailblazer after narrowing it down to the trailblazer and the pathfinder. The final deciding factor for me was the fact that the chevy dealers were much more willing to make a deal than the nissan dealers. In fact, I got about 9K off MSRP on the trailblazer and they threw in the 5 year 75K extended warranty in for free when I expressed concerns over long term reliability when compared to nissan and toyota.

8. 7Titles

7Titles 500+ Posts

I'm suprised most like the look of the Tahoe over the Nissan. Nissan's SUV's are selling very well. The GM design is 5+ years old and has argueably looked the same since about 94. Almost all cars are becoming more straight lined. The new line of GM's big trucks and SUV's will be out in about a year to a year and a half and the car will look dated, if it doesnt already.

9. WooHorn

WooHorn 250+ Posts

The GMs are tanks and are very durable. Don't worry about that. I've had both and had some expensive repairs on the pathfinder (exhaust manifold, cat. converter) that were disappointing, but I drove it for 12 years. The Yukon is tough and sturdy and I will replace my current one with a new one in 5 or 6 more years.

PS - I saw a new Pathfinder this weekend and I do NOT like the design. Waaaaay too boxy, but that is the style I guess. I don't dig it at all.

10. Pancho Villa

Pancho Villa < 25 Posts

I posted a few weeks ago that I was down between the new Grand Cherokee and the new Pathfinder. I thought the Pathfinder drove smoother than the Grand Cherokee...and certainly smoother than my wife's Tahoe.

So I went with the.......Toyota 4Runner. Out of curiousity I pulled in to the Toyota dealership to test drive it and was sold. Give the 4Runner a test drive, one of the smoothest riding vehicles I've driven.

11. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

how is the gas mileage on a pathfinder vs. 4runner?

Texas97

12. The Bandit

The Bandit 100+ Posts

It's hard to beat a rearwheel drive, V8, automatic from GM. They are very durable and fuel efficicent considering the size.

13. 7Titles

7Titles 500+ Posts

The Cherokee probably rides less smooth because it actually has a suspension that could be considered sufficient for offroad use, unlike all other SUV's.

Anyways the Nissan and the Tahoe arent really comparable, the Armada would be the comparable NIssan vehicle.

14. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

I'm driving a '99 Tahoe with 120K on it. I had less problems than I had in the 50K I put on my honda civic.

I had one front end "deal" but that's IT.

15. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

16. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

I bought a 04 armada for the same price as a Tahoe and got A LOT more size. I looked at both, had my heart set on a Tahoe but felt I got more for my money with an Armada. I'm curious to see what the price difference is between a Pathfinder and Armada? I know I bought my Armada for less than 35k.

17. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

I've got a Yukon, black one. Also got 9k off msrp with a great interest. Only compaint is the back panel isn 't sealed all the way for some reason, so be careful. PUrely cosmetic, but annoying nonetheless. Be careful either way.