ZeroU O-Line Recruits

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Slick16, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Slick16

Slick16 250+ Posts

ZeroU has a big rebuilding job to do on their offensive line. They just signed three three-star recruits and one two-star to replace Loadholt and Co.

Player-Height-Weight-Rivals * Rating

Tavaris Jeffries -6'5"-320-**
    Jeff Vinson-6'6"-348-***
    Tyler Evans-6'6"-299-***
    Josh Aladenoye-6'5"-347-***

Jeffries and Vinson are JC transfers.

My question is, with what they have coming back, can Stoopsie's staff teach this group to hold well enough to make a serious run at the title in '09? I realize Bradford is good, but can these guys keep him in one-piece with the help of Big 12 officiating?

Discuss...

2. busterbrown16

busterbrown16 1,000+ Posts

I know they have Stephen Good. Not sure where he is in the depth chart but still remember losing him in the recruiting battle. That still hurts a little.

3. Depotdog

Depotdog 25+ Posts

In Stoopsie we trust..If he thought they were good enough to recruit,then that's all we need to know.

4. vculou

vculou 250+ Posts

Hmmm? I guess stoops knows the checks did not bounce,

5. Fritz

Fritz 500+ Posts

6. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Stoops has his own rating system. Each one of those guys received five stars for hand grasping strength, the key physical attribute he seeks.

7. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Much weaker o-line and sans his two best receivers, I think Bradford may suffer a drop in productivity this year.

8. Ruby Soho

Ruby Soho 100+ Posts

Well they do get Jarvis Jones next year, whose supposed to be pretty good.

9. everybodygodeep

everybodygodeep 500+ Posts

The fact that they have gone after JUCOs at OL and WR suggests that they are not happy with what is on campus.

10. Jerry World

Jerry World 25+ Posts

I love it when Hornfans predicts doom for the OU line. I'll admit this class isn't too exciting but it's far from doom and gloom.

The JC guys this year will provide depth like they mostly do (Loadholt being the exception). The two HS kids are solid 3* guys. OU's had success developing some of the 3* talent in the last 3 years under Coach Patton (See Cooper and Trent Williams)

Also OU will sign 3-5 O-linemen in the 2010 class. Texas has room for maybe 1 OL so that will help OU get some of the state of Texas kids.

11. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

12. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

Different Jarvis Jones...this one is a former LSU kid

13. NorthCoastHorn

NorthCoastHorn 500+ Posts

14. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

UT has absolutely killed in OL recruiting lately. With a top OL class in 09 and a deep OL on campus the 2010 recruits may see this and give OU an edge. OU will be looking to bring in a class of beef in 2010. The 2009 guys are just meant to fill in the gaps until then.

Interesting to see how OU recruits though are generally bigger guys than the athletic all-around OL guys that UTgoes after. It works for OU's system (and we all know what that means) but can suffer against quicker DE's and doesn't always translate as well to the next level.

15. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

OU is trending down.

Last four recruiting classes, per RIVALS:

2006 ranked 9th

2007 ranked 14th

2008 ranked 6th

2009 ranked 13th

Compare that with the previous four Sooner classes:

2002 ranked 7th

2003 ranked 4th

2004 ranked 8th

2005 ranked 3rd

It's pretty easy to see where this is headed for the Sooners.

16. Victorious1

Victorious1 250+ Posts

Don't underestimate OU...they are no slouches when it comes to holding. They may draw a few holding penalties in the OOC games but Bob will have them ready for us come Oct.

17. snotrocket

snotrocket 100+ Posts

Besides Good I remember the Habern kid at C. I think with the one returning starter and these 2 kids the line will be okay. It won't be what it was in 08 but above average. I still see Bradford running for his life a lot more in 09. [​IMG]

18. Slick16

Slick16 250+ Posts

19. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Nobody around here who knows anything about football is predicting doom and gloom for the paper clips.

That being said, there is no instant cure for graduating essentially your starting offensive line. Cohesiveness of line play is a product of repetition, of playing together over a year or two. There's no quick fix, and zero-u's offensive line play this coming season won't be up to last year's level. Bradford won't be able to sit back in the pocket so much and pick lesser teams apart.

okie will start in the top five or ten, but okie fan should NOT be surprised to see next year's team drop more than one game, and not play in a BCS bowl.

20. Chance74

Chance74 25+ Posts

In response to your quote, "So, the next question is, why in the hell doesn't Mack bring this out-of-control holding to the attention of the conference and insist that it be corrected?" Perhaps it is only the longhorn fans who believe OU holds excessively. Perhaps the coaches (even Mack Brown) and the officials -- the people in the know -- recognize what holding really is and isn't, and they have determined that OU's linemen do not hold -- except for when the penalty is actually flagged. I seriously doubt there is some giant conspiracy in the Big 12 to allow OU linemen to get away with holding more than other teams.

21. Slick16

Slick16 250+ Posts

Yeah, you're right. The only team that holds more than ZeroU is Tech. But I'm not surprised you would pretend it's not a problem.

22. Chance74

Chance74 25+ Posts

I'm not pretending it's not a problem. I'm saying it's not a problem. If OU holds as much as you horn fans allege, then surely some coach somewhere would be in the league's face about it -- whether they complained up front or did so anonymously. Just because hornsfans posters say OU holds, doesn't mean it is so! Well, maybe it does to you all, but not to the people who count.

23. Slick16

Slick16 250+ Posts

OU cheating is overlooked on so many levels, one can't help but wonder why they get away with any of it. Perhaps Rhett and Jerry Bomar will shine some light on one aspect of it at a later time. [​IMG]

As for the holding, I feel sure it will continue because Mack is too nice to make a big deal of it. That's not the same as believing they don't do it.

24. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

OU and cheating go together like biscuits and gravy...and the NCAA is powerless to stop it, even if they wanted to.

As for Mack turning the paper clips in, forget it...this isn't the SEC, and Mack's too busy getting started on another awesome recruiting class for 2010...he has better things to do than joust with windmills. [​IMG]

25. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

but blackman....everyone knows that OU doesn't will bowl games any more....at least not BCS bowlgames....maybe they should start holding in bowl games too?