Zimbabwe or Rhodesia?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by TahoeHorn, Dec 13, 2008.

1. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

Kindly point to where in this thread he makes that statement.

And, I would say you are the one that is incorrect in your assumptions. There, we have now both made statements that have the sound of truth but little in the way of evidence or analysis to back it up.

2. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Buckhorn rhetorically asked, what exactly does Rhodesia have to do with anything? His main point was that Rhodesia's problems are far different than Zimbabwe's problems. His secondary point was that the only reason to bring up Rhodesia is for prejudice reasons and a desire to return to colonialism. As I have pointed out 3 times now, the primary problems that existed before still exist today. And the solutions are the same as they were years ago.

3. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

4. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

If I missed your point and your argument is that Tahoe and Wulaw are prejudice at worst and at best used poor wording, then it seems like I've been reading 4 pages of worthless accusation. Perhaps I was hoping for a conversation about Zimbabwe and ways to bring it into the news and make it a better country and in that hope saw ideas that weren't really there.

5. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Uninformed

One point is, if one wishes to speak of bettering Zimbabwe, then using verbiage that seems to yearn for colonial days will get you derailed. Tahoe says he wishes to draw attention to Zimbabwe. It didn't take long for people to begin to discuss returns to colonial rule and fixing Africa in general. I didn't start any of that. It occurred because the OP was sloppy at best. I think it is worth the while involved in discussing such sloppiness. What is wrong with pointing out that Tahoe's method is awkward?

I didn't accuse anyone of being prejudiced, though I noted that the wording they used is reminiscent of colonial apologists and the like. Wu made a pointed statement that very much sounded like he wished for a return to colonialism. I responded. I have not in any way challenged his assertion that, for him, it is not a 'black or white' issue.

I addressed both Tahoe's and Wu's ideas for fixing Zimbabwe. I prefer Wu's approach, though I find it annoying to wade through some of the sillier things he says. I also tried to present some views on discussing Africa that would allow participants to get outside of strictly western norms regarding corruption, nation building, etc. Without accusing anyone of having done so, I think that it is worthwhile to be aware of the tendency to expect that Africa behave like America, and that such is problematic.

6. TahoeHorn

TahoeHorn 1,000+ Posts

buck,

You never said which was worse. Which was, Rhodesia or present-day Zimbabwe?

7. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts