Zogby: 'Race continues to tighten'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ruidosomike, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ruidosomike

ruidosomike 100+ Posts

2. Runamuck

Runamuck 25+ Posts

LOL zogby basically crucified all the other polls a week ago saying they where wrong that it was tightening.

3. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

Both campaigns don't care what the national polls say after the conventions. The state polls are the be all and end all.

4. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

A team in my kid's soccer league also closed the gap this weekend. We beat them 7-0 last weekend and they lost 7-1 this weekend. The fact they "tightened" up the score cannot be disputed. The gap has indeed narrowed!

5. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

6. RabidLonghorn

RabidLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Obama is ahead by about 10 points nationwide.

7. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

8. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

9. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

Individual state polls are all that matter right now.

That said, 100,000 people showed up for Obama today in Denver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. sak

sak 250+ Posts

National polls have it's uses. But whether Zogby, who uses a more traditional model, which I think overstates republican turnout this year, is correct remains to be seen.

11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Austintx is right. The state polls are what are really important. The RCP avgs have Obama ahead in too many states.

12. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

I still think Obama has an enthusiasm from his voters unlike anything ever seen. It's very hard to measure that with polls. 100,000 people showed up in Denver? Just last weekend, 100,000 showed up in BOTH St. Louis and Kansas City on the same day.

Besides, McCain has always had electoral problems and they're getting worse by the day.

13. Namewithheld

14. LittleBunnyFooFoo

LittleBunnyFooFoo 500+ Posts

15. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

I'm sharpening my knife now.

No...wait.

I'm dulling my knife now.

16. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

I can see many races tightening. The last 10% are making their decisions. I can see many people, especially conservatives unsure about McCain/Palin but they're unable to make the choice of Obama.

Obama has probably pulled as many undecideds as he can. However, unless McCain can convince those already decided on Obama to switch, its looking very unlikely that he can win. And with a fraction of the money that Obama has, McCain will have a hard time getting his message out to the voters. But anything can happen. McCain needs another Joe the Plumber moment that puts Obama on the ropes for a short period before people realize the issue is a paper tiger. And in 9 days, Obama might have trouble getting past that like he did with ol' Joe.

17. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

18. bub

bub 100+ Posts

Zogby is not a good pollster.

19. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

John McCain is a very well known commodity. I fail to see how a majority of undecideds would choose the best known commodity at the last minute when they didn't choose the best known commodity before? Would they ahve been waiting for new information? Hoping for a new repackaging to make the product more appealing?

20. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

I keep hearing reports of the race tightening, then I look at the actual numbers and see nothing of the sort. Maybe a little statistical variation but that is all. If the polls are even close to correct this is going to be a blowout. The Reps are going to need to take a long hard look at a lot of things, including their nomination process.

21. Namewithheld

22. abqhornfan

abqhornfan 100+ Posts

For those of you talking about the race tightening and how anything can happen, I have two words: Land. Slide.

It's not going to be close - the only race that is currently tightening is the one in Arizona, and it's tightening away from McCain.

State Polls

Obama will win Virginia. He may very well take North Carolina, too. It will be over before the west coast finishes voting.

You can comfort yourself by talking about him being ousted after four years, but I see a lot more similarities (in the way the country "feels") between Obama to Reagan than I do Obama to Carter.

23. LoneStarSpur

LoneStarSpur 25+ Posts

Well, according to Limbaugh the fact that early voting in California is split 50/50 between Dems and Reps means that it's close, close, close!!!