Zone Read

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BigCityHorn, Sep 27, 2010.

1. BigCityHorn

BigCityHorn 25+ Posts

After running the play very well for at least 6 years, why is it that we are so bad at defending it. Rice kicked are butt with it. So did UCLA. It seems our D-End just crashes down instead of stopping and playing the quarterback.

2. b UT ful

b UT ful 250+ Posts

I wish DE's would punish the QB every time if close enough to not get a penalty of course....

3. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

lack of defensive discipline. Many UCLA posters pointed it out before the game.

4. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

5. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Our players are young and aggressive.
    Jeffcoat is badass but he over ran this play a couple of times.

6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

7. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Carl Reese is probably rolling over in his grave. Well, if he was dead.

Stopping the zone read is all about assignment football. When you're playing in Muschamp's nickel package and you've been told all offseason to fly to the ball, you're no longer covering an assignment... you're just going where you think the ball will go.

Having Kenny Vaccaro out there is nice, but nothing stops the zone read like having a DE who will stay at home on every play (at the risk of letting the opponent make gains in the opposite direction). Having Acho at the end would help, but I don't think our defense is headed in that direction.

Plus, the linebackers got caught up behind the play too much. The line would drive in the opposite direction of the read (imagine that... drive blocking??), and the linebackers would naturally follow the line's movement because their RBs were toting the ball pretty well. Then the QB would make a read and easily go the other way because the DE wasn't in his face.

And finally, the DBs were woefully out of position. I posted this yesterday, but for the life of me I don't understand why the Statesman gave them an "A" for their performance on Saturday. The corners were running into the play from the outside, leaving the outside wide open. Gideon would shuffle step up to the front seven, only to find that the play was already right next to him, so he'd whiff. Christian Scott was just plain absent. Vaccaro was the only one making plays, but as the announcers rightfully pointed out, his tackles were all downfield. We could have defended that zone read with 10 defenders equally as well as the 11 we used (or 12 on the punt).