Zyrtec versus Claritin

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by CleverNickname, Feb 4, 2008.

1. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

I see that Zyrtec is available over the counter now. I've been a claritan taker for years. It mostly does the job, but some days the pollen count is beyond even what claritan can handle. Is zyrtec different enough to try out? Can you take two antihistamines together?

2. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

Antihistamines affect everyone differently and seasonally. Try the Zyrtec and see. Claritin doesn't do crap for me but Zyrtec does. I have been taking it daily for over 4 years. Zyrtec treats my wife badly while Claritin is perfect for her, when she needs it.

I will occasionally take Zyrtec and Benadryl when I have an allergic reaction to something.

Zyrtec going OTC pisses me off though. With my insurance, it cost me $3 for a month's worth. Now that it is OTC, it costs me about $18. Oh well.

3. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

I asked about this at the pharmacy. I was told to continue to use Claritin if it does the job since the generics for it are much cheaper than Zyrtec.

4. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

I'm going to try Zyrtec after reading this. Claritin doesn't do anything for me as well.

5. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

Generic claritan is very cheap. A 300 count bottle of 24 hour loratadine is like $20 at Costco. Its basically a yearly supply for what a single package of zyrtec runs. But I'm going to try it. I may also see about the antihistimine eye drops. Cedar fever is generally not my worst time, my worst is in April when the oaks drop their pollen. That stuff gets in my eyes like sandpaper.

6. TenaciousTgarden

TenaciousTgarden 250+ Posts

my zyrtec copay was much higher than the price at the store, so i am pleased.
    it is the ONLY thing that works for my allergies. i used allegra for awhile but i think i became immune to it. claritin never touched my allergies. zyrtec is excellent, but it does make me a little sleepy, so i usually take it at night - it is 24 hours so it doesn't make a diff to me.

7. Mr Bean

Mr Bean 100+ Posts

There's a new prescription antihistamine out called Xyzal. I think it's pretty similar to Zyrtec as far as potency goes, with a few less side effects. It works great for me.

8. William Cannon

William Cannon 250+ Posts

I wouldn't mind tyring out Zyrtec, but generic Claritin is so damn cheap now that I can't justify paying the extra cash. Claritin works good enough - just not with freak'n cats