OG Chris Owens

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Godz40acres, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

Chris Owens blocked well enough to help his high school quarterback earn a 4-star ranking and offers from top schools nationwide. That QB is UT commit Shane Buechele. And now Owens may be continuing their on-the-field relationship as he received his own offer from the Texas coaching staff.

Chris Owens ..... Lamar (Arlington, TX)
    4-star ..... OG ..... 6-3/307

Per BON:
    What stands out most about Owens is his natural punch and the strength of it -- he's capable of decleating opponents when he shoots his hands. In fact, his ability to to pancake a defensive end in pass protection is extremely impressive (check the :35 mark of his highlights).

Another clip shows Owens getting downfield on a screen pass, a play that highlights his athleticism, as Owens moves well for an offensive lineman and can chop his feet and re-direct even better for someone of his size.

Since Texas doesn't have a lot of spots for offensive linemen in the class, ...coach Joe Wickline is being pretty selective... [it] says a lot about how highly he rates Owens on his recruiting board.

Per Scout:
    "Something that has surprised me about college football is the amount of crazy decisions big time players are making. Not only costing themselves, but also making their team suffer," Owens said.

Head coach Charlie Strong has attracted the national spotlight with the way he has handled his football program.

"It is a very good program, and will always be a top football school regardless of record or rank," Owens said. "Especially with Coach Strong, he has added to the already prestigious image. When I hear his name, I hear discipline. One thing that sticks out to me is when he took the decals from his players and told them that they had to earn them. That is something I believe more coaches should do because those decals mean something, so why give them to players who aren't all in... I feel like Coach Strong did that to see which players were all in to see who would accept that challenge and earn them back, and I like that. I know his mentality is rubbing off on everyone in the program."

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per Scout and BON:
    Owens was excited about the Texas offer and hopes to pay the staff a visit very soon.

"I plan on getting up to Austin hopefully next week," Owens said. "I love the Coaching staff, especially Coach [Charlie] Strong. Like I've said in the past, his morals and the type of character building he can do is up there with the elite coaches in all sports."

When asked about the prospect of playing with fellow Lamar Viking, Shane Buechele, Owens sounded enthusiastic.

"Playing with Shane would be something that our mothers have been talking about for years, and would be unreal," Owens said. "It would be a complete blessing to play with my best friend since the 2nd grade. Shane and his family were amongst some of the first people to welcome me to Texas after Hurricane Katrina and have always been great to us. Shane is my brother no question about it. The fact that I have an opportunity to spend another four years on the same team as he is something that I have been thinking about for a while."
    [Full Scout article here] [Full BON article here]

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

This is one kid that definitely has a good head on his shoulders and has bought in to Strong's program. Yep, he's in! :hookem:

5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per HD:
    Owens more than likely will start out on the inside on the college level. "The strength in my game is pass blocking because of how good my footwork is," Owens said. "I want to work on my run blocking."

"I love Coach [Charlie] Strong and seeing the program come up," Owens said.

6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Owens visiting this weekend along with fellow Arlington Lamar WR Kofi Boateng.

7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I guess he wasn't in.