2019 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

UCLA visits Jordan Horston

• Like Like x 3
  2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Our first sighting from the Texas coaches!

• Like Like x 9
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  4. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I wonder about this home visit thing. Has this always been part of the standard recruiting practice? Now it seems to be expected. Another way for schools to compete with each other. Of course it's a little anxiety producing to read about other schools' visits and nothing about us having any, other than Celeste. Jaden Owens seems to be a hot item.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yes, in-home visits have always been part of the process. Of course, until twitter (Instagram, etc.) we rarely heard about them. Even now, it's really up to the recruit (or their family, etc.) to share that information.

For the junior class, in-home visits could not begin until March 5. Well, that just happened to be the day of the Big 12 conference tournament championship game. So, our coaches couldn't begin until the following day; not a huge issue.

Curious to know if our coaches visited Ashten Prechtel in Colorado, and Haley Jones in California. And of course, Rickea Jackson and Jordan Horston in the Midwest.

• Like Like x 6
  6. LutherIsMyDog

Haley Jones is a hot commodity

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  7. LutherIsMyDog

Haley Jones has a complete game. Her defensive skills are impressive and she is very versatile on offense.

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  8. LutherIsMyDog

The latest visit recap from Raoul.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

That could be a little taxing for Haley Jones' family, to have to listen to another bunch of coaches schmoozing them up just about every night.

10. LutherIsMyDog

Karen and Jamie took a road trip to Cali yesterday.

• Like Like x 9
  11. LutherIsMyDog

Coach Aston had to be impressed with Haley Jones' performance last night. She scored 32 points and had 11 rebounds.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

At that age, I think most recruits (in all sports) enjoy the attention.

Those that don't either commit very early, or narrow down their list of finalists to small number very quickly in the process in order to avoid interacting with too many coaching staffs.

• Like Like x 3
  13. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I'm sure you're right. It's just funny the way every coach and their dog have practically been fighting to visit with Haley's family since March 5. I believe I read that even Geno made the trek from UConn? (I could be wrong about that.) I'm anxious to see her play myself.

• Like Like x 3
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

This is at least the 3rd time Texas has been to see Haley practice/play. Jamie went and saw her before the Stanford game in 2016 and Karen went this past fall.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

To summarize what we've read about Haley Jones:

- Visited South Carolina and Texas unofficially in January/February 2018
    - Head coaches from Louisville, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Stanford, and Oregon have had in-home visits with Haley in early March 2018
    - Head coaches from Texas, USC, and Cal attended Haley's playoff game on March 13

• Like Like x 7
  16. LutherIsMyDog

Coach Aston appears to be saving her in-home visit with Jones until a later date.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I don't know the exact number, but they get several over the course (junior season, senior season, etc.). But, I'm sure she and/or her staff will make an in-home visit in the next several weeks.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Oakman

Oakman Guest

Would be an absolute big time get if KA can close this deal. I’ve seen her play more than a few times. She will be a stud on the next level. Very high IQ, can shoot, distribute, attack the rim also post up smaller players. Would be a good piece in the 19 class to go with Celeste Taylor might also get more chips falling in that class

• Like Like x 12
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Glad we followed up an appearance at Haley's playoff game with an in-home visit the next day! That's how it's done!

• Like Like x 9
  20. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I wonder if Destiny Littleton and Jones are acquaintances? Would be wonderful if Littleton could tell her how nice it is for a Cali Girl in Austin. Even though Littleton has had a tough year, she seems engaged and supportive. We need every advantage to get her away from the throngs of national coaches pressing.

• Like Like x 4
  21. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Of course, I think Coach Tina is a Cali girl also (may have been a long time since she lived there, don't know).

• Like Like x 3
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Hope we see some tweets about in-home visits with Angel Jackson in California and Ashten Prechtel in Colorado. With our coaches out West, that could be a possibility.

• Like Like x 4
  23. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Jaden Owens had a home visit with Texas!

• Like Like x 8
  24. LutherIsMyDog

Geno also stopped by to see Haley Jones.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Glad to see us involved with Jaden Owens. Seemed for a long while that we weren't really targeting a PG for 2019.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

To summarize what we've read about Jaden Owens:

- Head coaches from Baylor, Ohio State, Miss. State, UCLA, and Texas have had in-home visits with Jaden in early March 2018

• Like Like x 5
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Kennedy Brown did visit us for the Notre Dame football game, I believe; but, there never seemed to be much traction after that:

• Like Like x 1
  30. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Regarding recruiting for the classes of 2019 and 2020, if I were a player I would have second thoughts about considering A&M. As anyone who follows WBB very closely knows, their team this year has been dominated by Chennedy Carter. Yea, she's very good, but she is also a point guard who looks to win the game mainly by herself. It has worked out pretty well. (I just watched them eke out the game with Depaul). I guess Blair figured that was his best way to win this year. I can't see Carter changing her game to help other good players coming in get in on the action. Maybe for a 2020 player like Merritt, it wouldn't matter that much since she would be a freshman when Carter is a senior, but for 2019 players, that would be 2 years of probably not getting many passes from Carter. Blair seems to have cast his lot with her playing this way, for better or worse. Maybe it won't affect his recruiting, but it might.

• Like Like x 2