Coaching News and Rumors

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Dec 1, 2019.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Despite alot of "L"s...they looked pretty competitive against some good competition this year IMO. ...Tough schedule

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. RainH2burntO

I disagree, Sabre. Unless TH wants to move on permanently ...you will see him again somewhere as an OC before too long.

3. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Whew, serious bucks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Whatever that means. Those are ceremonial titles IMO.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. LonghornDave

Agree, many of those "titles" are to skirt contracts that have buy outs if you make a lateral move.

7. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I know we are all jilted by TH time at Texas but there are plenty who remember the OhST natty run, the impressive Cougar high teams and also view Texas as a dysfunctional mess and will give him a pass for his time here.

As crazy as many of us may think it sounds, I have seen his name mentioned as a possible HC replacement at Wash and Cincy should Fickell leave for USC.

8. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

By all reports Scott is still respected among the fans. The record is not stellar this season, but the Huskers have been reasonably competitive against some very good teams. Guess we'll see if he can deliver some progress next year.

9. LonghornDave

I could see him landing at Cincy...

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

That's the thing. Nebraska has played maybe the toughest schedule in the country this year. Coming into the year on paper .500 was the realistic expectation and the schedule ended up harder than what it looked like before the season. Still, Nebraska has been competitive in every one of the games but can't keep from tripping themselves up. You can SEE that Nebraska can go toe to toe with this year's heavyweights. We've lost to 4 of the last weeks top 8 CFB Playoff ranked teams by 22pts total, all by single digits. It's truly befuddling. Who could have planned for the B1G Kicker of the year to be 7-13 FG kicking?

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  11. LonghornDave

And 17 years ago, who would have thought Texas, FSU and Nebraska would have losing records? And Cincy in the top 4.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Seattle Husker

It's crazy. I'm a bit concerned for Texas that they may be entering into the same quandary that Nebraska did when they joined the B1G. You'll love the $$$ but worried the record will be a frustration point for UT faithful.

• Hot Hot x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Problem is that Herman is disliked by virtually every HS coach in Texas. I know only one that doesn't despise him, but that's because while every school was all over his athletes, Herman never called or showed up. Tom Herman would be a bigger detriment to Nebraska recruiting Texas than an asset.

These are excuses to give raises to coaches, like Coach Boom being "HC in waiting" when everyone knew that title belonged to Chris Peterson until Mack screwed over Harsin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. RainH2burntO

Yep
    Look...as pointed out by another poster, TH didn't get run from here for on the field or W/Ls stuff.
    He is qualified, somewhat proven, and will be back somewhere sooner rather than later. He needs to humble himself and learn a thing or two and may come back improved even.

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nice thought, but that's damn near impossible for "the world's smartest human being".

His non football actions will make him toxic for almost any program

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. RainH2burntO

I wanted to rate this^^^^ "likely" but all they had was "like"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Seattle Husker

I'm aware of his participation in that fracas regarding Domestic Violence by the OSU Assistant. What other skeletons in the closet does Herman have?

18. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Yet you continue to post about Art Briles getting another shot. Herman is Mother Theresa compared to him.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

IDE,

I don't like Art Briles, and he knows it. I have dirt on him unrelated to the problems/assaults at Baylor. I purposely kept that stashed away should some moron like Billie Powers decide he was coming to Austin.

Some facts about the Baylor scandal that are not popular:

1) Cocaine & steroids were a serious problem at Baylor dating back to early 90s.

2) Sexual assaults were a problem at Baylor long before Briles arrived.

3) According to court documents, Briles was cleared of wrong doing as he took "action" as called for in Baylor protocols

4) Only two high ranking Big XII administrators tried to take action against Baylor by cutting off the head of the snake, which they eventually accomplished.

5) Briles was swept up and ruined while the real culprits escaped and are still controlling Baylor.

Briles wants to coach because that's who he is, while most of us would be happy counting our $15 million settlement.

Herman may indeed coach somewhere, but if you are a P5 HC, would you hire the guy?

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You really asked that question, or are you being sarcastic? It is all visible for the world to see. I wish they were in the closet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Apples and oranges, IMO. Nebraska joined a conference with zero rivalries. And cut off their Texas recruiting pipeline in the process. In the SEC Texas will have ALL of its major rivals in conference, and see an uptick in recruiting as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Seattle Husker

Sorry, I thought there might be more than simple arrogance.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

As far as I know, only Sandusky outdoes Art Briles when it comes to off the field issues. And, yes, Sandusky’s issues were far worse than anything Art Briles did.

• Like Like x 1
  24. LonghornDave

Don't know if this was posted but TH reportedly drank a lot. His players are said to have nicknamed him "Titos". To some extent I assumed one of the reasons Sark was hired was to avoid that issue.

Sark and his staff are the exact opposite of TH, I thought by design. I apologize if I am wrong but I thought this was widely "known" and was told by a friend connected to the University. I will delete this post voluntarily if y'all are sure that this is wrong or think this is mean spirited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Consumption of Titos is NEVER a mean thing...at least that spirit comes from Austin.

26. LonghornDave

Not saying it was mean but heard that was why Ewers decommitted.

27. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

*sigh* you missed the effort at some light Austin humor...

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Yep. Sark is a 180 degree turn from TH. He's definitely passionate about coaching. But he's also very disciplined and professional. He's not going to lose control, and certainly not in public. He appears to be a man who has been through the wringer, in the most public way possible, and came out the other side a better/stronger human being.

This is a vital component of his hiring. The old adage of "as above so below, as within so without" is quite true. If a person can battle and defeat their own demons, chances are they can help do the same for other people. And organizations. And that's exactly what I expect Coach is going to do here.

• Like Like x 6
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well put. That seems to be the strength in his character.

• Like Like x 3
  30. LonghornDave

I could not agree more. It is amazing the things people that gain strength through adversity can accomplish for themselves and others.

• Like Like x 2
    • poop poop x 1