INFLATION--the Gold bugs are back, led by major Chinese Institutional Investors

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Personally, I grew up on diet soda, because it's what my parents bought. When I became an adult I tried regular soda, and I didn't like it. Too syrupy and sweet from the HFCS. I tried Dublin Dr. Pepper and liked that, but it too was very sweet and too much hassle to get to make it a regular thing. What was interesting is that in Germany, they sold "Coca Cola Light" instead of Diet Coke, and it had Cyclamate (banned in the US). It's pretty good.

2. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

More sodium. More expensive also

3. Horn2RunAgain

After re checking, heb diet Dr B is the same cost as Walmart brand after Walmart raised their price

I liked the heb knockoff but it has a bit of a bite to the taste. But I liked it.

2 weeks ago I stopped buying diet sodas altogether. Switched to iced tea

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Typical nutty comment below by the doomers. Maybe there is a 3rd way where you keep the interest rate slightly higher than the inflation rate to keep it under control but not high enough to cause deflation?

We have a 1930’s style deflationary depression, which is what happens if we keep raising interest rates. Or, a Weimar Germany kind of hyperinflation, which is what happens if we try to inflate our way out of our current debt problems. And that’s it. This is not something on the distant horizon anymore. It’s something right here staring us in the face.”

"Welcome To The Endgame" - Rubino Warns "Everyone's About To Realize There's No Fix For This" | ZeroHedge

5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like it's a good time to hit the brakes, pause, don't raise or lower rates for a bit, and see which direction things go.

But don't take it from me. The only country for which I'm qualified to be the Fed Chairman of is Western Sahara.

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Never thought to check the sodium. I'm a little surprised there would be much of a difference.

You're probably better off drinking tea. It's definitely healthier even if you sweeten it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    Since you are across the pond do you do tea the English way?

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I stopped drinking sodas during and after my first trip to Italy about 10 or 11 years ago. Now it is unsweetened sparkling water or tea for me, in addition to too many alcoholic beverages.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

CPI comes out tomorrow.

10. Horn2RunAgain

Unsweet tea for me, and I can tell a difference in just a couple of weeks.

Like hot tea in the winter as well. Add honey and I'm good to go ( local honey here cost me $12 @ the health food store in nacogdoches. Don't recall it being that high before)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

At home, I drink quite a bit of unsweetened sparkling water. It was big in Germany, but I didn't go for it much, because the only good brands of it were pretty expensive for how much I like to drink. On base, they sell a UK brand that's pretty good. In British stores, it's priced like the good German water, but on base, it's dirt cheap. The main time I drink diet sodas is out and about.

And of course, I drink beer, and very recently (last few months), I've started drinking a little whisky. Never liked it before, but I'm starting to develop a taste for it.

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

COLA .5% in January. Largest increase in 3 mos. Consumer prices up .1%, but the projection was for a decline.

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The correction in the CPI actually increased inflation, not lower it contrary to expectations:
    28679850-24CE-4327-8C15-AEA5AB1FD0F3.jpeg

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The new CPI calculation increased inflation.
    71E891B3-F144-441D-BDEB-40488ECEA04A.jpeg

16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Half of the increase was due to rents, which is already going down but CPI doesn’t pick up rent changes until 6-12 months later than what happens in the real world.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Also adding to the dovish picture was that core CPI services ex-shelter (one of Powell's preferred supercore inflation measures) rose just 0.27% in Jan, down from 0.37% in Dec and the lowest since October.

“we continue to forecast inflation will rapidly decline as the BLS slowly reflects the reality of housing deflation in their estimate of shelter inflation. This lag is approximately 12 months, so second-half inflation numbers should come down rapidly.”

18. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

But Joe told us inflation was under control - can't we even believe the POTUS?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Rubin i is a bit crazy and hates Bitcoin. But he’s on the right track. Lyn Alden is the best global macro economist though. NONE of them agree with you McHammer. Rates will keep rising and a stock market crash is eminent! Just a matter of when. Even at 6% or 7% Fed Fund Rates. Inflation will stick! They call it sticky inflation.

20. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Read the creature from jekyll island. That would help!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Please reply with the opening paragraph of the book. I recall that it signaled the book was an unintended joke.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

As long as interest rate is above the inflation rate, the inflation rate doesn’t matter because you can still increase your wealth.

23. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Had the calc been same as before CPI, would have been higher.

24. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Not true for lower end middle class and below.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

You in the loan business Mc?

26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

In my scenario, wages are keeping up with inflation. Why would real wages not recover?

27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

No, I am in the wealth business, as in my own wealth.

28. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Your scenario? FFR is 4.5% - 4.75%. Maybe you’re looking at mortgage or car loan rates. I do not ever borrow money so I don’t follow that. I just know annual returns of 130% to 140% over 3 years beats everything else. Everything. Scarcity matters!

29. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

From Lyn Alden.
    The ratio in the CPI calculation is in this attached graph. CPI is NOT real inflation but it’s not coming down to Trump levels anytime soon. This ratio and this graph is why.

30. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts