National Rankings - 5/4/24 -- we're #35

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Chop, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Diamond Sports Ranking • D1Baseball

4/3/2024

We're back up to #28

The Diamond Sports Baseball Rankings are the new thing, meant to replace the flawed RPI Rankings. It's created by the same folks that gave us the RPI. They recently identified some flaws in their RPI methodology, and have refined their methodology to give the baseball world the Diamond Sports Rankings -- the new gold standard in college baseball rankings.

One of the major improvements in methodology is that getting blown out hurts you much more than losing by 1 point. Same with winning big vs winning by 1 point. They're trying to gauge the overall quality of the team.

2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Wow Got a ways to go to be comfortable getting to play post regular season
    But it can be done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Making the Regionals (SOMEBODY'S Regional) isn't a problem. Getting to host a Regional could be challenging. We need to be Top 16 or so. When it's close, we will usually get the benefit of the doubt, because our facilities are top notch, we're easy to fly into, there's lots of good hotels, restaurants, and bars, and people want to visit Austin.

Also, we wear the Burnt Orange and have "TEXAS" on the front of our shirts--it's not fair, but that's they way it is in college baseball. Thank the giants of UT baseball from the near and distant past for that advantage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Any JUCOs above us? :fire:

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Just win the conference to host regional.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

4/11

We're #38

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

4/11

Conference Strength Rankings

1. SEC............826
    2. ACC............820
    3. Big 12........701
    4. PAC 12.......641
    5. Big West....640
    6. Southern....637
    7. Sun Belt......626
    8. Am Athl......596

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

5/1/24

We're #41

Diamond Sports Ranking • D1Baseball

The DSR, made by the creators of the RPI to replace the flawed RPI. They've got us at #41. I think they have TCU and Tech both too high (well ahead of us). Although, I would not want Tech to land in my regional with those bats--no matter how crummy their pitching can be.

Last edited: May 1, 2024 at 1:10 PM
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Disappointing. But losing series to last place lowly BYU, along with loses to UW, SWT, plus others I cannot remember, etc. didn't help.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I don't get OU's RPI ranking vs. ours. Over the weekend, they showed that OU was around #17 and we were about #60. But I know OU's overall record is about like ours, so they are losing lots of non-conference games too. Indeed, they have played Tennessee and Dallas Baptist, but they LOST. In fact, they have lost to DB twice. I don't see anybody impressive on their non-con schedule that they have beat. What gives?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

They beat #3 ranked Tennessee, swept all three of UCF, TCU and KSU. TCU was ranked 12th when they swept them. I imagine sweeping carries a little more weight than going 2 of 3. We don't have anything that looks like that. They have lost to some teams they shouldn't have for sure.

Any way, who cares? We have our own problems and if we can get them ironed out, we will go further than OU in the playoffs.

14. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

WRT Tenn, I read it wrong, they lost to Oregon, not Tenn as I thought. However, they lost to Wright State, to Pitt, and to Ohio State. Not exactly baseball powerhouses. OK St took 2 of 3 as did WVU. They were SWEPT by Lamar at home. I'm not saying they are dogmeat, I just don't see how they are ~40 places better than us.

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

16. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Chop, if I am reading that site correctly that only is accounting for Friday's win, Texas may be even higher after yesterday.

Really could use a sweep today!

• Agree Agree x 1