Random Season News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Oct 11, 2018.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Not eligible for the draft yet.
    And he's a punk *** chump.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Yea Stupid me
    HalRex pointed it out
    so I then asked about Young

3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think Young is the type who will just fit in anywhere. It doesn't matter if he's forced into starting duty for some ****** team in his first season, because he just makes throws and extends plays. That's pretty much all that's required of a serviceable QB. I think the closest thing to him in about 10 years will be how Drew Brees fared after 10 years in the league. He should be the first QB taken, because teams should see how guys like Baker Mayfield worked out.

Levis, Stroud, and Richardson will all get taken in the first round. I just don't think any of them will come close to Young's NFL success.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So TCU's Max Duggan declares for the draft. He has earned it!
    Will he play in playoff game? Yes he will

5. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Also, sorry, my mistake, I mispoke...it is not the Alamo Bowl that has a terrible reputation among the local disability community, it's the Alamodome. Big difference. My apology, didn't mean to impune the Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  6. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Just did a little searching on career ending injuries.

Willis McGahee had almost 10,000 yards offense in the NFL. Injury was kinda gruesome. No idea how the injury impacted his overall career.

Marcus Lattimore. Blew out a knee his sophomore year then blew out the other as a junior in a conference game. Not a bowl game. Not eligible to enter the draft prior to injury.

Sergio Kindle. Hurt in a bowl game that led to the end of his career.

Anthony Poindexter. Thought he never made NFL but read an article saying he played 3 years. Certainly impacted him, but he’s had a pretty nice career in football. Regular season game. Returned for Sr season.

Hodges Mitchell. Cheap shot in my opinion. Not sure of his chances pre-injury, but that seemed to end it.

Jaylon Smith. Still playing so who knows.

I would say far more dudes stock drops once true Draft evals take place than bowl game injuries causing injury concerns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Your.?
    Kindle was hurt in the bowl game? When?

8. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

He wasn’t. I threw that one in there to show that off field crap can play a part in hurting your career too.

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ok Got it and in Kindle's case it was off the field injury.
    I got confused when you said Kindle was hurt in a bowl game that ended his career. He actually had a good bowl game.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 1
  11. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

His last statement rings very true...re: National Championship rings, "I know you want one of these...you won't get one @ a&m."

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

IIRC, Kindle was hurt off season falling down some stairs. Harmed him in NFL draft.

13. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Big difference in playing in a game that can still lead to a NC and playing in what amounts to a meaningless bowl game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Kindle fell down the stairs 3 months after the draft.

There's a huge difference between someone bailing on a "meh" bowl game to protect their offseason training and draft status versus someone balling out in the playoff. Plus, Duggan can pretty much only help his draft status by playing. He's a late round pick at best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So if it weren't the play offs Duggan should not risk injury in a meaningless bowl game?
    What if Duggan gets injured but TCU wins?

16. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i think it matters more for RBs, OL, and front 7. jmo but those guys get injured at a much higher rate than QBs, etc.

i also agree on "meh" bowl game vs playoff games.

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So X
    If Duggan gets injured but TCU wins it was worth it because it was a playoff game?

18. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Dude, if you're in the playoffs then your season basically isn't over yet.
    You're still playing for a championship.
    If your team is in the Alamo bowl, your season is over.
    The bowl is something extra that hopefully allows you to travel someplace cool and pick up some gifts and have one more game with your buddies if you want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So Duggan or anyone headed to NFL Has to play in a playoff game even if they injure themselves and lose opportunity to play in NFL?.

20. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Nobody has to do anything they don't want to.
    But if you don't understand the motivational differences between taking your team to a National Championship and playing in a meaningless bowl game then I don't know what else to tell you.
    Really not sure what point you're trying to get across here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

TCU BMDs see to it that he never works a day in his life because he got them to the Championship Game

22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i mostly think it's the player's choice and if it's worth it to him then yes.

BUT...he's a college hero, a davey o'brien award winner, 2nd in heisman, but a Day 3 draft prospect. if I were he, I would play and it would be worth it.

EDITED: I think some guys wrestle with this a lot. And I understand why. They care about the team AND their future. Some guys don't care. But when a player opts out of a bowl game, I don't think it's a given that they don't care.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  23. LonghornCatholic

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Brilliant
    And she mentioned Justin Tucker:bevo:

25. LonghornCatholic

26. LonghornCatholic

27. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

And if Bijan plays in the Alamo Bowl and gets hurt?

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He's not playing, and it is NOT the final four.

29. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

I am thinking we’re kinda on the same page here. If you think the risk of losing life changing earnings or a dream nfl opportunity is too great, then playoffs versus a meaningless bowl game is not terribly different.

Kindles career was basically ended by an off field injury. Hodges Mitchell on field.

Jaylon Smith and McGahee did not have career ending injuries. You can speculate that it negatively impacted them, but we don’t totally know. Perhaps they learned patience. Maybe hard work. Perservearance. From reading Cowboys fans view of Smith, he’s not that great cause he can’t read a play which has nothing to do with injury. And an 8-10 year career ain’t too shabby.

Career ending injuries in college aren’t just terribly common for high profile, highly protectable guys. And I’m not sure whether Neyor or Angilau seasons ending injuries were non-contact, which could happen during training. Point being, bad luck can get you anytime, anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

It was a theoretical question. I know he’s not playing.

Just wondering if the BMDs woulda taken care of him. I’m quite certain he’d have the opportunity to work for the program in some capacity.