Random Season News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Oct 11, 2018.

1. mmsnake

mmsnake 250+ Posts

Roschon is the ultimate longhorn. He has my full respect. Can you imagine if we had 85 of him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

SH-I liked him too and appreciate how he felt about UT. I just dont agree with his decision not to play. Of all people you should know every game should mean something to players and the team. Geez Why even play the game if it means nothing.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That was the exact question RJ had with respect to the Alamo Bowl. You just agreed with his analysis of the situation.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

The meaning was-Why should UT even play the game if it was useless? The same could have been said for every game after we knew we were not going to the championship. You and I have had this coversation before, I am not changing your opinion and you are not changing mine.

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

How much does extra work out and practicing contribute to the next season?
    Is there any benefit recruiting wise to another game on national tv?

6. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Exposure, recruiting, extra practice time & most importantly, $$$$$$$$. But those things are for those remaining in the program & The University. But those things don't mean the same thing to people looking @ a potential multi $ MM contracts in the NFL. I don't blame those who sat out of the bowl game. It's not that bowl games mean nothing, they mean different things to different people depending on circumstances. If you would honestly recommend to your son to risk $ MM's to play in a 2nd/3rd tier bowl game, good on ya. I don't think I'd make that same recommendation to my sons, but we will never know 'cause my boys dropped football to join Varsity Swim/H2O Polo Teams after Jr. High.

7. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

If the games are now meaningless, then they shouldnt be played.
    If they are meaningless then lets not keep continuing to act as though they matter to us.
    Either they matter or they don't.
    Guess we can expect a good majority of them to go the way of the Pro Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

The pro bowl was always a meaningless bag of crap. None of the players in the game ever gave 100% effort. None of them wanted to get injured. I never watched it anyway. Glad that it's gone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Moon,

Only difference in the Pro Bowl was/is that the platers ALL have a bonus clause in their contract for being selected (not playing but being selected) - usually $10 - 25,000,

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  10. RainH2burntO

Oh..I totally agree, Moon. I don't watch any of that junk.

It will be interesting to see what the future of CFB bowl games is. They have already lost quite a bit of luster.

11. RainH2burntO

Now you may be giving the NCAA/CFB programs ideas, Sabre. They may at some point have to start incentivizing players by some means..monetary or otherwise.
    Im old school ..so I dont like any of it...but I see the reality and where it is all likely to head. The opt outs , transfer portals, NIL, upcoming playoff format, effects on bowl games...are all just the beginning of massive shifts/changes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

if we go to an 8 team playoff format then 2 teams may play as many as 16 games.
    12 regular season +
    1 league championship game =13
    #1vs8,2vs7
    #1vs4,2vs3
    #1vs2=16 games
    I like it but that's too many games for the players even if they are getting NIL.
    So they need to do away with league championship games at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Div II has a 24 team playoff bracket.
    I think we can handle it.

14. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

Watered down with too many bowl games. Seems to me it’s the everybody gets a trophy mentality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

The difficulty of a free market economy. We have as many bowls as can be financially sustained by the fans/consumers.

16. RainH2burntO

From the looks of the stands, I'd say that is barely happening for some of these.
    I understand it isn't that simple and there are multiple revenue streams, but....don't football games exist for the purpose of being watched?
    For many of these there aren't many butts in stands nor eyes on tvs.
    Good extra practice avenue for the participants at least...assuming their coaches take the opportunity seriously .

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I say we go back to 11 regular season games, even with the new 12-team playoff format. That push for everyone playing 12 about 20 years ago was due to perceived differences in ad money and "getting to .500" being enough for a bowl berth and more postseason revenue. I don't think that's as much of an issue any longer for the middling Power-5 teams or the decent midmajor teams.

We can start the season a week later or add a second bye.

Playoff octafinals coincide with the Heisman weekend, so might need to move the trophy ceremony to a weeknight or something.
    Playoff quarterfinals the same weekend as Texas HS state championships.
    Playoff semifinals and finals where they are now.

I think the pushback is less about the physical toll on the players (HS teams do this) and more about the $$$ toll on the fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Why exactly is it that 15 is just fine, but 16 games is too many?

19. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

If we had 85 like Roschon, we would have had to cancel participation in a bowl game as we would have no one to play the game. Pisses me off they don’t play in the bowl game. You decide not to play, clear your locker and dorm room and pay your own way as you are no longer have a scholarship. The entitlement that you think you have for what you did yesterday wont work well in business or life. Unless you are retiring.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

IF WE HAD 85 LIKE ROJO WE WOULD BE IN THE PLAYOFFS AND EVERYONE WOULD BE PLAYING.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  21. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

:headbang::idk::idk:
    85 running backs ain’t going to win jack.upload_2023-2-7_11-46-3.gif

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. horn_fan_cpa

horn_fan_cpa 100+ Posts

85 tight ends, though..... eh @mchammer?

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Of course, speaking more about attitude and ability not necessarily the same position.

24. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Ask Roschon. He’s the one who didn’t want to play the extra game. And it wasn’t even the 15th or 16th.

25. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

So you’re suggesting I took it too literally.

26. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Either that or I'm missing the sarcasm.

27. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

It wasn't a playoff game.

28. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

I knew what you meant so sarcasm in taking it literally was my attempt at humor.

• Like Like x 1
  29. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

IDH-It is called commitment and most folks dont know what that means anymore.It is all about the money. Maybe the folks who bought tickets to the alamo bowl should get a partial refund. Unfortunately, some folks on this thread will never get it. Maybe they dont know what commitment means either. If these kids dont want to play then dont accept the schlorships.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Most of the Bowls are ESPN programing so as long as they can get the marketing bucks, the minor bowls will continue.