Random Season News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I have said this before. I have been to many many meaningless bowl games.
    In addition to the benefit of extra practice time which any coach thinks is a benefit
    For the fans, those of us who go to ANY bowl our Horns are in being there is great.
    There are Texas sponsored events in days before bowl. The fans get closer to the team than anywhere else.
    I doubt anyone who has attended what some on here call meaningless bowl felt it was a waste of time.
    Being there when the team get off the bus is special. The players really appreciate the fans who travel to be with them.
    BUT there is nothing like walking up to the venue in Burnt Orange and seeing all the others in Burnt Orange, hearing our band. Special no matter where it is ( I might make an exception for Shreveport).
    Yes the 05 Rose and 06 NC were extra special
    But I wouldn't have missed a one.
    Then I consider other schools, most of which do not get to bowls often and when they do are lesser bowls.
    Do you think those teams and fans don't have a good time?
    That is what College football used to be about.
    Will it continue?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  2. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I never said 15 was fine.

And I need to remember only two teams would play 16 and only 4 teams would play 15.
    And I still favor cutting out the league championship games. That will reduce some teams by one game. I am only thinking of the players. In reality i want them to play many more games.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  3. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Are some saying a bowl the Horns are in is meaningless?
    I do not know what points those defending hornbowl skippers are...But as for myself... the criticism of the bowl situation is a general one about the current state and trajectory of bowls. Im all about any game with our players wearing the name. Cant speak for the others. I guess some here were saying our big3 skipped a "meaningless" game?
    I'd have to disagree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RainH2burntO

5. RainH2burntO

6. RainH2burntO

7. RainH2burntO

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Rain,

As someone who attended every game during the DKR & Fred years, I am one of the few that paid the fees and attended the most worthless bowl of all time - The Freedom Bowl. The administration wanted to refuse the invite, but Fred accepted it on the advice from Bear Bryant that if they think enough of you to invite you, you do NOT refuse.

If you recall the Freedom Bowl, there were no lines at the concession stands or restrooms. Not traffic jams. I think all the fans would have fit in a church bus. That was truly a worthless bowl game and we played like it.

I have always taken a very dim view of those opting out, buy my original point was that we as fans owe RoJo a debt that can never be repaid. Without him, we might be the new Berzerkley program, mired in political correctness rather than aspiring to National Championships. Roschon did the job that Tom Herman was paid to do, and potentially saved all our non-revenue sports.

As Viper said, bowl games are now ESPN's answer to Christmas TV specials. There is better football played in the three days before Christmas at JerryWorld than in a number of those bowl games.

As for Roschon and the division in our locker room, problems created by woke professors and students, players quitting during the game, I shall always believe Roschon Johnson was our MVP. Had he chosen to quit during the season, I would still feel the same.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wait a minute, moving Red to RB? That speaks of RB questions, no? I thought we looked pretty good there. Or does it mean WR is loaded? Or just that Red has the elusiveness more suited to RB? Don’t believe the latter cause that would serve him well at receiver too. What the heck, whatever is best for him individually and the team.

10. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

it speaks mostly of Red being talented but the wr position is stacked with talent that Red is given a chance to showcase his stuff at rb. We have lots of talent, folks, at the skill positions:yippee:

• poop poop x 1
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think Red wants the ducking ball and doesn’t want to be dependent on the QB to find him open. He may also getting tired of all the balls going to alligator arms. I don’t blame him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Sabre,I have been going to games since 1960 and thought there were a lot of worthless games in the 80s and 90s. I still attended them and rooted for the horns and donated.
    I have always liked Rochon and appreciated what he did for our team.However I will never support players who opted out of games. Money should not take precedent over commitment. There is a good possibility the Alamo Bowl would have turned out different if two RBs had not opted out. They were not fair to fans,teammates or their commitment to the school. I know that some readers will not agree with me and they may poop to their hearts content.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. RainH2burntO

Couldn't agree more, Sabre. Very well said.
    I have a personal opinion and view related to bowl-skipping but will not hold this against these boys. Some type dude that comes through here...maybe...not sure.
    But these guys...all 3 of them...chose this school, came through here at a time when we needed solid guys, and they did it on and off the field...now excepting the bowl game. I don't like that personally...but I still love those dudes and appreciate RJ especially....another level there like you said.
    Give him a statue beside whoever or name something after the guy, because what he did and who he was for us at the particular time and the particular circumstances during which he did it are at least as valuable as any other individual records, accomplishments, accolades, or awards one could acquire/achieve while here.
    I have posted on RJ and his role/value quite a few times here myself and yours is right on.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  14. RainH2burntO

I feel you ER and, though I posted the above, I still hold a similar general view as you and appreciate the values and conviction there.
    Lord knows we need some...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

It’s an unfamiliar world we’re in or perhaps I’m just in an odd place. Maybe both.

This is the first year that I can recall not particularly caring about recruiting. I like getting Arch cause the Manning’s are iconic. Maybe it’s the portal impact or NIL impact. It feels that any incoming frosh will only remain here if the money is right and playing time is in accordance with their schedule. And you also may get passed over by some damn transfer if you try to be patient and await your turn.

It could be the increase in opt-outs or changing conferences or perhaps playoff expansion. I used to watch college basketball 7 days a week now I may not even watch 7 games a year. Part impact of one and dones but also transfers. It’s not just my team but my opponents. I need reasons to dislike certain teams. Will football head that way too?

Not that the world cares about my opinion, but that’s even less so now. I understand the Bijans and the Roschons opting out, but it doesn’t improve the game. It does not positively impact society with the ultimate decision being about money. Loyalty and patience will always be important in my world. I don’t believe that message exists any longer.

For now there are no meaningless games. I miss not being there far more than the game misses me not being there. In spite of 10 plus years of futility, it’s still a part of me. It’s been 25 plus years of watching live and tuning in when not there. Lots of miles traveled, lots of dollars, lots of emotions., lots of well - everything. Now, yeah, I’m a little fearful of all that once was eroding. It always was about the moment and the season. Now, I’m just not certain.

• Like Like x 2
  16. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

IMHO: "WOKE vs ANTI-WOKE" = BS political opinion that belongs on West Mall, not sports. Pls take your "woke/anti-woke" **** elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am for players being loyal to the team every game.
    On the other hand, I understandwhy players would opt out of games that do not lead to championships.
    But I would be upset if a player opted out of the playoffs. That's like screw you teammates and fans.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Easy to speak of commitment and loyalty when nobody is trying to scramble your brains and rip your limbs off.
    I dare say if you polled the locker room their teammates stand with their decision.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Right now it actually has more to do with Brooks and Blue recovering from injuries and needing a body on the field.
    However, if he fits in well who knows.
    Him gaining more knowledge as a running back could make for interesting play calling.
    I saw one quote comparing his size and attitude to RoJo.
    Interesting moves.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

I think part of this is making sure we have someone who can run but can also catch the ball out of the backfield. Maybe the younger running backs haven't demonstrated that capability as of yet.

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Maybe Red has the biggest balls in the skills positions on the offense side of the ball, including the RB’s.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

love his attitude and his confidence. Wears his heart on his sleeve. A guy you would want in a foxhole in a gun battle.

23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  24. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I want this. Seriously…

upload_2023-2-13_20-49-45.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I was there too. What an abomination. It was rainy and cold, miserable. Iowa and Chuck Long shredded Jerry’s Kids. Ugly. I still have the program somewhere.

26. everette

everette 250+ Posts

We have rugby?

• Like Like x 1
  27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Is it a club sport?

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Your boy LC tonight :fire::yes::fire:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

There are no meaningless games. If Texas plays a game then everybody on that team needs to be available to play and win the game. Not standing on the sideline yukking it up while we are losing to Washington. Why was he even there? He had quit. Not sure what he did for the team during the eyes baloney, but I damn sure didn’t see Roschon on the floor on the Cotton Bowl singing the EOT with Ehlinger. By not playing, he shows me he is part of that problem by quitting. So adios. You let Texas, your team mates and the fans down.

I did not go to the Freedom Bowl, sounds like it was as bad as the game.
    The worst game I ever attended was the last SWC game against pig at Little Rock in 1991. We lost 14-13 after missing two field goals and an extra point. Worst fans ever were even worse having to walk through those toothless inbred hillbilly’s after the game.
    Should be in the top five worse losses.

I cant believe we have to play them again every year. I guess a whole new generation will learn about pig fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Texas releases their spring and summer schedule.

That March 25th weekend is a big one for recruiting.

• Like Like x 1