Random Season News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

So it knocks off how many plays/game on average? Won't be any more offensive records being set, probably a lot of new defensive records.

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I mean, I don't think it's going to help defenses as much as you seem to think.

Texas/OU 2022 had 47 total first downs. But 7 were from TDs and 2 were from penalties, where the clock would stop anyhow, so it goes down to 38. And of those, 4 were in the final 2 minutes of either half. Down to 34 now. The amount of time that would elapse from the game clock before the play clock starts (based on how quickly the proceed in the NFL) would probably come out to about 7 seconds per first down. Honestly, it's less than that for rushing plays.

34 x 7 = 238 seconds. Broken down by quarter, it's about 1 min of running clock that we didn't have before. And that's on the "pretty forgiving" side of how much time will actually elapse, as my guess is it'll be a lot less on "normal" 1st downs like run plays and passes that go just beyond the line to gain.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

If they really wanted to cut down on game time, keep the clock running on incomplete and complete passes, like they do on a rushing down.
    That would at least eliminate those throws into the turf to stop the clock.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Better idea:
    Game clock stops until the ball is spotted. Resumes as soon as the ball is spotted.

Regardless of 1st down, rushing, passing, incomplete, out-of-bounds, last two minutes of the half, whatever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I approve of this message

6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Clearly and unmistakably a TD.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. LonghornCatholic

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  8. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

It’s pretty simple.

Refine the replay process. Head ref keeps his *** on the field.
    Shave some off halftime.
    Get creative with advertisements. Scrolling ads. Split screens. Immediate transitions to commercial on injury or replay.

Until you’ve exhausted all those efforts, you don’t screw with the game. The 3.5 to 4 minute TV timeouts are *** kickers. Never more than 3 minutes. Not game action. Not in between plays. Excessive dead time drags them out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Only FSU and State Penn fans are more clueless. You would be hard pressed to get a single correct rules answer out to that entire left side of the stadium. If you do, the guy is likely seated toward the far endzone and is a student from Texas.

11. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Coach Prime will have kind of a rough time when he finds out that team success isn't about him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

But as he always does it will be about him. This is one of the reasons that his charter school in Dallas was shut down - he thought that all of the money from the State was his.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  13. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

He's got to come up with 63 players before next season. I know his roster produced 1-11 but man, you can't really upgrade when you have to take just about anybody to fill your roster.

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

If Sanders is so desperate he has to take just about anyone why did so many Buffs enter portal? His record at Jackson State suggests he can coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Article I read says Sanders was very up front with the team from the early days, telling them to get ready to portal out. If the article is right then Sanders isn't desperate, he is following a plan.

Whether the plan works out or blows up in his face remains to be seen.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I saw the video of his first team meeting.
    That's exactly what he did.
    He told everybody he was bringing his own stuff in so get ready to hit the portal.
    So I guess now we'll see what his own stuff is.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

My money would be on blowing up. It is bad enough to be cu/pac leftovers, and have a risky coach also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Not that it changes the overall point, but a couple of the TDs were on first and goal, which aren't recorded as "first downs" in the stats.

19. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 2
  22. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 2
  23. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Did anyone know this piece of trivia?
    Pretty wild.

• Like Like x 2
  24. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

For those that don't know or don't remember.
    Big win for coach Drayton.
    Not quite the Arch hype but no one gave us much of a shot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Nice to know that family does it the right way, they always have class in what they do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 1
  28. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Mannings have some sort of "family" deal that money goes into. For some reason that isn't clear, if Arch took NIL money that would run against the family pool. (Doesn't make much sense, but that is what I was told two different people.

29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

That could be. It would also be in keeping with the Mannings that they would want him to wait to take NIL money. Taking NIL money also means diluting focus.

30. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1