Random West Mall Postings + Theological Discussions

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  2. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Sounds like she'd addicted to pregnancy. And she must have quite the egg - nest egg, that is - now.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  3. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I just won the NOW Internet poster of the month award for that one.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I wonder how often a Supreme laughs at something an attorney before the SCOTUS said? Here Alito does, Is it like a duh ha ha?

6. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Those who oppose (most of) the policies of Ronald Reagan are not Conservatives.

Reagan defined Conservative.

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If the anti-Reagan crowd has their way, we might not have won the Cold War. There might still be a Soviet Union.

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Al Davis—“Just Win Baby”

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/19/...e_code=1.tE0.IXv7.ESww6Fc4A4fI&smid=url-share

"Marc F. Scholl, who served in the district attorney’s office for nearly four decades and worked on dozens of cases that included the false records charge, said prosecutors have checked all the legal boxes.

“If the jury chooses to believe the government’s evidence, then a conviction is warranted,” he said, though he noted Mr. Cohen, with all his baggage, “remains the linchpin” of the case. “The jury does not have to believe all of what Cohen has to say, but they have to believe enough of it.”

I can't believe a lawyer actually said this. Cohen got caught lying on the stand. What say you @Mr. Deez

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It sounds ridiculous, but what he's saying is technically true. A jury can believe some of what he says and can disbelieve other parts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 2
  16. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Take that Voltaire, you commie pinko!

17. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Really bizarre to me that someone would look at a ~1500 year old book (roughly 382 AD to sometime during Voltaire's life) and decide that it's going out of vogue in 100 years. I don't like the Quran, but I don't think people are going to stop following it in 100 or 200 years. Good grief.

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

For his friends group he was probably correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So was France correct in persecuting the Hugenots, killing them, and driving them from France?

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

One man's prayer went like this:

"So I don’t speak any longer to men, but to you, God of all beings, of all worlds, and of all ages; if it is permitted for weak creatures, lost in immensity and imperceptible to the rest of the universe, to venture to ask for something from you—who have given everything and whose decrees are immutable and eternal. Deign to look with an eye of pity on the errors that our nature leads us into! Let not these errors be our downfall! You have not given us hearts to hate one another and hands to kill one another; grant then that we may help each other to support the burden of this painful and transitory life! May the trifling differences among

•the garments that cover our frail bodies,
    •the mode of expressing our insignificant thoughts,
    •our ridiculous customs,
    •our imperfect laws,
    •our absurd opinions, and
    •our various conditions that appear so disproportionate in our eyes and so equal in yours

—may all these little shades of difference among the atoms called ‘men’ not be use by us as triggers for hatred and persecution! May those who worship you by the light of tapers at noonday look kindly on those who content themselves with the light of your sun! May those who wear a robe of white linen to teach their hearers that you are to be loved not detest those who say the same thing wearing long cloaks of black wool! May it be accounted the same to worship you in a dialect formed from an ancient language or in a newer dialect!

May those who, clothed in crimson or violet, a rule over a little parcel of a heap of this world’s mud, and b possess some round fragments of a certain metal, enjoy without pride what they call a ‘grandeur’ and b ‘riches’, and may the rest look on them without envy; for you know that nothing in these vanities should inspire envy or pride. May all men remember that they are brothers! May they abhor the tyranny over souls, as they execrate the thievery that takes by force the fruits of peaceful industry! And if the scourge of war is inevitable, let us not mutually hate and destroy each other in the midst of peace; but rather make use of the moment of our existence to join in praising, in a thousand different languages, from Siam to California, the goodness of you who gave us this moment!"

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  21. LonghornCatholic

:smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I agree with your overall sentiment but the dating is off quite a bit. All the biblical writings were written before 100 AD. The gospel of John was written around 110 AD at the very, very latest with good evidence that it was written before 70 AD.

Other than that carry on.

23. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

You misunderstood. 382 is when the texts spanning the current Bible were consolidated into one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. LonghornCatholic

Yep!
    New Testament canon wasn’t determined until the late 300s but books the Church deemed sacred were proclaimed early on at Mass, read and preached. Early Christian writings outnumbered the 27 books that became the canon of the NT. The shepherds of the Church, through spiritual discernment and investigation into the liturgical traditions of the Church which had already spread throughout, and distinguished between books that are truly inspired by God and originated in the apostolic time.

In 382, could be off a year or two without looking, at Council of Rome, under leadership of Pope Damasus, promulgated the canon….reaffirmed by the councils of Hippo 393 and Carthage 397 :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

No it isn't. That is when a council ratified what already existed. The canon list was set at least as early as the 360s by Athanasius.

26. LonghornCatholic

Any chance you can share a historically acknowledged source?

But one could argue how much does that matter? Though I stand by my historically proven sources....and truth matters., by that I mean, who cares if the Dallas Cowboys won those super bowls in the 90s because of Jimmy Johnson or because of Troy Aikman? They won 3 super bowls!

The historical evidence, and Luther agreed, is the NT was canonized by the Catholic Church at historically proven councils, with or without the great Catholic Saint Athanasius of Alexandra. Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, was no doubt a champion of the Hypostatic Union at the Catholic Council of Nicea; see The Nicean Creed; and quote "Let what was confessed by the Fathers of Nicaea prevail!" - great man! A few anti-Catholic folk try to cherry pick a couple (maybe more) quotes from Athanasius to pit against other early Church Fathers to prove a particular Protestant doctrine, but that's difficult to defend when quotes are read with full breadth of his writings. To be fair, not all Protestants fall for that trap.

Always open to comparing sources and learning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This sort of thing would be considered normal in Japan.

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Was there any known written correspondence by St. Paul that did not make it into the Bible?

29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I've studied this, and listened to people who have studied it a whole lot more. The Catholics (actually the Orthodox/Catholics) win on this debate.

Now what segments of the Catholics (Jesuits for example) went out and did to innocents like the Huguenots (the "t" is silent...) was horrific and a big stain on Rome. One of the Popes applauded the mass murders, I think it was a Borgia Pope.

30. LonghornCatholic

I think you’re referring to the massacre that occurred on the Feast Day of St Bartholomew in the 1500s? I’d love to read your source. I know there is debate if it had been premeditated by the French court (among others) and like clockwork, a few claim the Holy See is to blame. Most historians conclude Holy See was not an accomplice. But we may not be talking about the same event. Not denying church history wasn’t always pretty, so looking forward to studying your source.