2015 Incomer - DE Charles Omenihu

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, May 14, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

If you were in the class of 2015 and received an offer from the Longhorns, you almost assuredly heard from Texas’ ace recruiter.

And no, that adjective does not refer to head coach Charlie Strong or a member of his staff. Instead, “ace” describes a stringbean defensive end from Rowlett, Charles Omenihu.

The 6-foot-5, 245-pounder committed to Texas following the team’s junior day in February of last year. From that moment on, one of Strong’s earliest commits became his most vocal. Omenihu did not just speak to potential Texas signees. He tweeted, texted and pushed them on almost any social medium possible.

Omenihu knew who he wanted to play with, and that’s why he would pitch with such frequency. He only wanted to be teammates with the best.

“I don’t want to play with sorry players,” Omenihu said. “I expect to win national championships, and you can’t win national championships when guys are average.”

Coaches often give the same spiel to each recruit, according to Omenihu. They complement them, talk about their school's strong academics and push the overall culture of the program. But what they can’t do is tell a player how other recruits are feeling, and that’s where Omenihu felt he could help.

“I feel like I backed up what the coaches said from a player’s perspective,” Omenihu said. “It’s different than how a player and coach talk, and I want to relate.”

“I honestly believe our class is a stepping stone for us to come back to the peak,” Omenihu said. “If you look at our class and our film, we’re a bunch of savages. We just don’t care about the opponent on the other side.”

When he arrives in Austin, Omenihu said the recruiter side of him will come to an end. He’s ready to focus on adjusting to the college and transforming himself as a player.

“Once I’m at Texas, I don’t want to sound selfish, but it’s kind of about what I need to do,” Omenihu said. “When I’m there, I’m not worried about making friends or having someone come here. I’m worried about making plays for the team.”

[Full article here]

-----------------------------------------------
    G40A says... What's not to love about this young beast? He worked so hard coming in and I have no doubt he'll work twice as hard while he's here. He may not start for two years (maybe just one), but he'll push himself and those around him relentlessly.

One of my all-time favorite quotes: "We just don’t care about the opponent on the other side.”

2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

“Once I’m at Texas, I don’t want to sound selfish, but it’s kind of about what I need to do,” Omenihu said. “When I’m there, I’m not worried about making friends or having someone come here. I’m worried about making plays for the team.”

Wow, the quotes from this kid. We gotta have him!

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

He's a Sergio Kindle clone. Hopefully without the drunk/texting while driving incidents.

He's got the height and frame to be imposing on the end, but I'd love it if he basically played the buck position his entire career. He doesn't need to add a lot of weight. If you watch the direction of his helmet on film, it's obvious what he's doing on every play... honing in on where the ball is going to be. It doesn't matter if he gets someone in the backfield or right at the LOS or 5 yards downfield; he knew exactly where that ball was going to be by the time he got to the carrier. Doesn't hurt that he's got the speed and moves to make it hurt a little either. Glad we're not going to be playing against him for the next 4 years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

The Rowlett standout checks in at 6-foot-5, 245-pounds. He was the No 2 ranked end in the state of Texas.

”I’m looking forward to a new start and opportunity to start my life and start the road to success and playing big time college football,” Omenihu said. “I have been focused on getting stronger and thicker and as a person would be just able to handle things better. On the field, I expect to be a monster and develop into the next great defensive linemen at Texas and off the field I’m going to be a leader.”

Omenihu is a lanky defensive end who is a bit of a project from a frame standpoint, but certainly has an extremely high ceiling. He has the height and length to develop into the elite category once he adds the size and strength. That added weight and power will also translate directly over to his game on the field, especially when using his hands and arms to create separation from offensive tackles. He is quick off of the ball.

[Full article here]

5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I like this guy's attitude. Focus on getting the job on the field not only done, but done well. Seems like a lot of our incoming guys have that attitude and that's great! :hookem:

• Like Like x 1