2015 Incomer - LB Anthony Wheeler

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

At 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, Anthony Wheeler is a monster at middle linebacker. He’s strong enough to bowl over running backs and fast enough to chase them down on the second-level. Wheeler said he enjoys the mike linebacker role because he can funnel to the ball and “be around it every play.”

Wheeler, who at excels at pushing downhill, said he still needs to work on his footwork, especially in coverage. He also said he’d like to get better at reading the play before it happens, a crucial skill for a middle linebacker.

There may be room for him to grow, but Wheeler will have a chance to compete for playing time immediately. Senior Dalton Santos currently owns the middle linebacker role, but Wheeler said the staff thinks he can challenge for it early.

“They’re talking about me playing early,” Wheeler said. “They want me in the middle.”

Four years down the line when Wheeler is a senior?

“I envision (us) being a great team, really put Texas back on the map and be competitive with anyone we play,” Wheeler said. “Seeing the recruits we got, I think it’s the start of the foundation.”

[Full article]

Anthony Wheeler is a 6-foot-3, 225-pound wrecking ball of a linebacker. He plays the game fast, physical and aggressive. He has great size for the position and will continue to get bigger, stronger and faster. Wheeler is at his best when he is playing the game downhill and attacking the ball.

He is one of the more physically imposing players in the class at this early juncture. He looks like a kid's wrestling figurine. Wheeler runs well for a bigger framed linebacker and should be a perfect fit as a MLB unless he grows into a true DE over the course of his natural development. Hits like a ton of bricks and ball carriers do not escape his grasp.

[Full article]

2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Sometimes this 2015 Class seems like an embarrassment of riches at some positions, especially at LB.

Wheeler is an absolute BEAST! On our D can you imagine Wheeler at MLB, Cherry on strong side and Jefferson on the weak side LB positions? Or change that up that combination if you prefer, but what intimidating group.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015