2015 Incomers Update (Clarington/Merrick/Burt)

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, May 8, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

As of Thursday, we are unsure if tight end Devonaire Clarington will be with this group.

Clarington is trying to become academically eligible, and despite numerous attempts to reach him, he has not returned any messages. I do know Clarington transferred from Miami’s Booker T. Washington to Miami Southridge after the football season. It remains to be seen whether his latest transfer will help him hit the Texas campus this year.

Quarterback Matthew Merrick is not expected to be among the group of players who show up at the end of this month, but that does not mean he is relaxing on his sofa. Merrick, a grayshirt player who will join the team in January – unless the coaches have a change of heart – is working out on his own to get prepared for when he hits campus.

“I am throwing twice a week with my QB coach, Kevin Murray,” Merrick said. “I throw with some of his receivers, some guys that I know are going to play D-I. Then different receivers I need to get used to the speed of the game, so we’re throwing to college-level receivers. Then I’m in the weight room four or five times a week. I’m doing some footwork stuff with a coach at school. I keep playing a lot of pickup basketball at my friend’s house. We keep getting up and down the floor, which is good for me. I used to be a basketball player and haven’t played in a while. I’m doing a lot of things to stay ready, and I really enjoy the process, so it’s fun for me to be able to focus on football.”

Merrick is optimistic Texas coaches will pull his grayshirt and allow him to become a part of the 2015 class. It could occur if Texas does not land a graduate transfer quarterback, and so far that market appears to be thin. If not, Merrick is content to follow the plan and join the team in January.

“I didn’t think it would be as tough as it is,” Merrick said. “Now that it’s kind of sinking in that it looks like I’ll be starting football in seven months, or January, it’s tougher to find as much motivation since there’s not really a time limit. I don’t know that I’d be ready in one month, or whenever you report if you’re part of 2015, so I have to find ways to keep myself motivated, and I do. On the flip side, it’s kind of a blessing to have six extra months to develop before I even start my eligibility. That’s kind of a blessing, too.”

Future Longhorn receiver John Burt will hit campus with a ton of momentum after an incredibly successful track season. Burt qualified to participate in four events at the Florida High School Athletic Association’s Class 3A track meet, and the incoming freshman had a great day.

The receiver finished first in the 110-meter hurdles (13.64), he won the high jump (6-6), his 4 x 100 team finished second with a time of 41.08 (South Ft. Myers was first at 41.02, and Burt was eighth in 300-meter hurdles 38.69). According to Corey Poole, track coach at Tallahassee Lincoln and owner of The Speed Guru, Burt’s foot hit a hurdle during the 300 meter race, and he was unable to catch up with his competitors.

“He’s one of those rare kids,” Poole said. “I don’t know of any kids who qualified in four events, and had a chance to win all of them. That day it ended up being very warm, very hot, but John came out and surprised us with the high jump. He wasn’t the favorite to win the high jump. He comes out and wins the high jump. We start on a good note. Then he goes and runs one of the fastest times in the 110 hurdles again, which was the fastest overall in Florida. Just to help his team run the 4 x 100, and compete in the 300 hurdles, that’s a tough day.

“For an athlete like him before he signed a scholarship, to come out and put forth his whole effort, I’m just excited for him. I’m excited. I’ve received word he’s going to be nominated for athlete of the year in Florida. He was already nominated in Leon County here, and the school. I’m just proud of him.”

Poole is also enthusiastic about Burt’s impending college career.

“You’re going to be getting a competitor (at Texas),” Poole said. “John likes to compete. John likes to win. He’s a focused competitor. He wants to be the best in his position and help team win.”

[From an unidentified article]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

This Burt kid sounds like a sure-fire miss. I don't know what Strong was thinking.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

INCOMING!!!

4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Bring 'em!!!

I'm your Huckleberry!!

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

When I was reading about Burt during recruiting, I always got the impression he was a good athlete with decent speed but not really a burner. Kind of sounds like he might stretch the field a little bit. I would be surprised if he's not a Day 1 starter at this point, particularly the way the receivers underwhelmed in the spring.

6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Can't wait to see him blow past DBs on the field! :hookem:

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Like the QB situation, I see the returning WR's upping their game when the newbies show up. i doubt Burt starts in the first 6 games.

8. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Somebody help me understand the Merrick situation. He is paying his own way and apparently projects as a backup. Why would we not need him more this year than next. He might possibly be the third QB this year and the fifth next year. What gives?

9. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Here is a link: http://longhorns.blog.statesman.com...chool-coach-qb-could-join-2015-signing-class/

On Merrick: Somebody please correct me if I've got this wrong, but, as I understand it, he is currently a "grayshirt" and will not enroll until January, but is assured of a scholarship at that time. He will be working with his personal QB coach, Kevin Murray, until then. There is still a possibility that he can receive a scholarship with the 2015 recruiting class if the UT coaching staff does not find a suitable graduate QB transfer and all parties want him to enroll.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Good point. The vets better start catching everything thrown their way, too! These new guys seem to be biting at the bit to get playing time.

11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That's how I understand it works. I think that we may have 2 scholarships left form 2015, but I'm not sure.

12. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

We will have 3 QBs this season as Sir Kai of Locksley will be arriving on the 40 next month.

I believe you're correct that we have 2 left, but no more than that.

13. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

To put that in perspective, Jamaal Charles won the Texas 5A 110m hurdles in 13.69.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Damn. I had no idea Burt was at that level. Jamaal’s speed was just ridiculous.

16. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yeah, I remember one of the excitement elements around the recruitment of Burt was that the kid has speed to burn! So he is in the Jammal Charles galaxy of amazing speed. If the kid can learn the offense pretty fast during summer workouts and fall camp, it may be hard to keep him off the field. He may not start Sept. 5th, but he might start by the ou game or maybe even before that.

17. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Hopefully Burt's arrival on campus will also inspire the other receives to polish up and bring their A+ game from here on...