As the offensive line goes so goes the offense

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by baoklhorn, Oct 9, 2015.

1. baoklhorn

baoklhorn 1,000+ Posts

It's been about two years since Coach Wickine arrived on campus. He was thought of as the best college OL coach in the business. Expectations were high with what his coaching ablities would do for the Texas offensive line.
    So here we are at a dismal 1-4 entering or should I say limping into the Cotton Bowl with the arch rival OU.
    And what we see in 80% of our offensive plays is the running back or quarterback deposited on the turf after 1 - 1.5 seconds after the snap. You find most of our OL turned around , standing upright and observing said tackled or sacked quarterback or running back.
    No wonder Jonathan Gray isn't running for 1,000 yard seasons that last couple of years.
    And this is why David Thomas said we have no short to intermediate passing game.
    Surely we all thought the lazy line play and endless whiffing on blocks would have come to and end.
    BUT THE PROBLEM IS STILL HERE.
    The main culprits in order of the worst are # 65 #66 #74 but all are guilty. Tommorrow's game will be won in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
    Will this line wake up in time knowing that their performance will determine the outcome of this big game and the season?
    PLEASE NO WHIFFING AGAINST OU.
    NO STUPID PENALTIES.
    GIVE US A GREAT GAME AND YOU WILL GET CREDIT FOR YOUR EFFORTS. We are counting on YOU NOW!!
    HOOK'EM

2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I think it's difficult to objectively judge the O-Line because for the entire preseason they practiced with a different QB and prepared for a different scheme. Everything changed after ND.

I'm willing to cut them some slack...until tomorrow. It's time to get it together.

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

And so it was. I have no idea how, given how we play all year up to this point, but we beat Oklahoma because our OL beat their DL and our DL beat their OL. It reminded me of 2013 a bit the way we didn't have a dominant offense, but we ran the ball the majority of the time and had much more success with it than the Sooners did.

• Like Like x 1
  4. baoklhorn

baoklhorn 1,000+ Posts

Stat
    You summed it up perfectly. Games are won or lost on the
    LINE OF SCRIMMAGE
    LOS