DE Rahssan Thornton (Jun 14)

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Godz40acres, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]
    Rahssan Thornton ..... Shoemaker (Killeen, TX)
    3-star ..... WDE ..... 6-3.5/225 ..... LSU​

Per 247Sports:
    Killeen Shoemaker defensive end Rahssan Thornton arrived at Texas with one goal in mind — earn an offer.

Mission accomplished. Thornton impressed at Texas' second and final minicamp and came away with a scholarship after meeting with head coach Charlie Strong. Thornton told Horns247 that he is “excited about the offer” and that it “changes things” in his recruitment. LSU [and Michigan are] considered his early leader.

Per Scout:
    Rahssan Thornton has the frame and look of an elite edge rusher. Then you hear that he is a kid who runs track and is competing in the 110-meter hurdles. That is a scary combo of skills wrapped up in a nice package.

Rankingswise, you can expect Thornton to settle in as one of the top-rated defensive end prospects in the region and a certain Texas Top 100.

"I remember the days when I would just be in the weight room working angry, doubting myself. But my coaches always said that if I would work hard it would come and it came, so I thank God himself."

Per IT via OB:
    How he fits at Texas: Thornton's ideal fit would be as a 4-3 DE where his likely body trajectory and ability to play the edge would keep him in a three-point stance. He's fast in space but he is capable of working into the B gaps and his ultimate upside is probably in between a Fox and a strongside end in a position that doesn't really exist at Texas. - IB

Coach says: Thornton reminds me a bit of the Jackson kid in the sense that they are both twitchy athletes that play the game fast and violently. The kid posted 22.5 TFLs as a junior and watching his tape it is clear that number wasn't an accident. He is constantly in the backfield and he has the ability and athleticism to chase down plays from the backside. Thornton may not have the same kind of fanfare that his teammate Kendell Jones has, but he certainly has the ability and upside that could have some schools taking a closer look.

How this affects Texas: Thornton is still mostly known for being the teammate of the Hulk, Kendell Jones. Then you watch his tape. His 6-foot-4, 225-pound frame suggests OLB. But if he maintains his fluidity with added strength, DE could be in the cards. Thornton is that guy that nobody talks about, then sits quietly on the bench for two seasons, develops, and destroys the Big 12 by his junior year. If UT offers, I think they nab him. - JW

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  2. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I like his film. :hookem:

3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Great film and the team is thin at DE - we could use him this season !!!:hookem:

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I see his potential.

5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

He's projected at the Fox, has speed to burn (4.55ish), and is long and strong. Of course, he has a good head on his shoulders - below he discusses his UT offer:

"You actually have to earn, earn that one,” he said. “Not just on the field but as a person too. The coaches want to see who you are as a person. You have to hang around the program for a good little bit and get to know the coaches before they offer just like any other college. It's like a family thing basically.

"When they take their time and analyze you it shows that they really care." [citation]

6. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

DE Rahssan Thornton, Killeen Shoemaker — Speed. Thornton is everything Texas should want in a “Fox” end. The 6-foot-3, 225-pounder is one of the fastest defensive players I’ve seen in a while. In passing situations, it seemed like Thornton was already laying a hit on North Mesquite’s Jacquez Gooch before he even had time to take a three-step drop. Thornton got the best of four-star offensive lineman Jean Delance on a few possessions and had a monster night as Shoemaker held North Mesquite to just seven points in regulation — North Mesquite won 14-13. But what was just as impressive as his speed was his versatility. Thornton lined up at outside linebacker, a foot five end and as a head up four. This dude is a baller.

[Per a poster on another site]

8. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Texas is no longer is in the running for Thornton - he's totally solid to LSU and won't take an OV to Texas.

I’m shutting things down. I haven’t really been talking with the Texas coaches lately, and I’m comfortable with everything with my commitment to LSU. Texas just wasn’t the school for me at the end of the day.

Honestly, I’m from Louisiana, so I’ve always wanted to go back home. Ever since I was a little kid, I dreamed of playing for LSU one day. When I got that opportunity, I took it. I listened to Texas because I loved it at one point, but LSU was always my dream school.

I would have loved to have had him in burnt orange - he'd have filled a beastly need for us.

• Like Like x 2