DT Marcel Southall (Apr 30)(Feb 3 COMMIT)

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Godz40acres, May 1, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]
    Marcel Southall ..... Duncanville (Duncanville, TX)
    :hookem::hookem::hookem:-horn ..... DT ..... 6-3/270 ..... TEXAS

270lbs and he runs a 4.8; squats 500. Although he has no star rating Now rated a 3-star, his offer list includes Baylor, Illinois, ou, and Texas Tech - all in the last 10 days.

Will post more info when it becomes available.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

This kid is a wild beast - the other teams can't really block him - they just try to get in his way or slow him down. He is quick out of his stance, fast and uses his hands well.

Look closely at the still photo of those players for Duncanville or while it is moving. The 2 DE's, the DT and the Middle LB. Gosh they are huge and look much bigger than the OL on the other team.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  3. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per BON:
    Lean and without a particularly thick base, Southall looks more like a strongside defensive end at this time than a defensive tackle. Explosive in short areas, he actually plays some defensive end for Duncanville and can do a nice job of dealing with blockers attempting to take out his legs. Southall will probably grow into a defensive tackle at some point, but until he can fully benefit from a college strength and conditioning program, he's better suited to playing outside.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Thanks for your input, WM. I'm not the greatest analyst, that's why I don't often give my own opinion; and why I appreciate input from you, @BevoBeef, @mchammer, @Dionysus and others. I wish @jayakris was here - he's the official Recruiting Guru we all enjoy hearing from.

5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yeah, I agree with you. I suggested to Dion at the spring game that he appeal to / make Jayakris "The Guy" on the Recruiting Board. He reached out to him via email but had not heard back from him. Maybe he is on a recruiting re-con mission and will check in later....

6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per 247Sports:
    The 6-foot-3-inch, 270-pound unranked prospect, Marcel Southall, has been one of the state's high risers this spring because he brings a ton of versatility to the table.

The most intriguing tool Southall brings to the table is the ability to get up the field and disrupt the passer. He played defensive end as a junior and looks like a guy who could play the 4i role, but he definitely has the potential to slide down an be a three-technique tackle.

7. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Sorry for being away for quite a while due to work. Nothing much has been happening in recruiting for a while anyway, as both the recruits and our staff are on a wait-and-watch mode. Hopefully the coaches aren't overconfident about things though. But I am keeping an eye on any major developments. Except perhaps on some top OLs, we are still in on most of our targets. Will get back with some roundups in a few weeks..

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

@jayakris, you’re tardy. Do you have a note?

9. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Welcome back, Guru! Can't wait for your 'puts.

10. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per TFB:
    DT Marcel Southall (Duncanville, TX) holds offers from all over the country. He and his father, Marcus, were in attendance at the Red River Rivalry game last weekend and they came away impressed with Texas’ performance. Southall’s father tells me that they had some time to speak to coach Brick Haley and said Haley is, “a great guy…we had a good time talking with him.” Mr. Southall also said that they like Texas’ attacking style defense, “that’s what we’re looking for…we don’t want to be eating blocks.”

Southall tells me that they haven’t set up an official visit to Texas just yet but one is indeed in the works.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

12. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

DO IT MARCEL!!:hookem::bevo:

13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

— According to 247Sports’ Alex Gleitman, Duncanville defensive tackle Marcel Southall will make official visits to Oklahoma State, Miami, and Ole Miss next month. Southall would then have one official visit remaining, meaning he could see Texas, but it would have to be during the week. Right now, Southall appears to be a long shot.

[Per another poster]

14. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  15. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

W
    i cannot see Ole Miss being in play for anyone right now. Okie Lite- umm against UT - again why?
    Possibly the U because of Richt.

16. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Bobby Burton also said, probably a litle bit before Super_K, that he was feeling good about Texas landing Marcell Southall. I am counting him in. He has an early announcement on NSD, and I think he wants to lock up his DT spot. Same thing with Chris Daniels. Both at 7:30 am. Then there is the big bunch at 12 noon, DCG, Elliott and Stephon Taylor. If we get all of them, we are talking about 6 DTs. May be one could be a DE. I guess we'll take them all if they come. Chances are that somebody or other may bail on us though. I just don't know who. Maybe Taylor, but all 5 of these guys have been tending heavily for us lately.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

HEEZA HORN!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  18. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

19. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 2
  20. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Welcome to the 40 Acres, Marcel!

• Like Like x 1
  21. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

That's DT #3 with Chris Daniels at DT #4. Welcome big guy!

• Like Like x 1
  22. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Welcome to Texas Marcel!

23. arieshorn

arieshorn 1,000+ Posts

Man this is going to be defensive monster class! Welcome to the 40 Marcel! :hookem::bevo::texasflag:

24. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Way to go. :bevo:

25. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations and welcome.