McKinney - a true Texas hero

Discussion in 'Classics' started by bclarke, Nov 4, 2001.

1. bclarke

bclarke 25+ Posts

Commandancy of Section 15
    Jones Stadium, Nov. 3rd 2001

To the People of College Station & all Agro-americans in the world --

Fellow farmers & 12th men -- I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Techsicans under Leach -- I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 60 minutes & have only given up 12 points -- The enemy demanded passage out of the stadium, otherwise, the fans are to be put to the goalpost, if the section is taken -- I have answered the demand with binoculars, & we are still humping it proudly from the walls -- I shall never surrender, or go to my car. Then, I call on you in the name of RC, of Reville & everything dear to the aggie character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch -- The enemy is receiving reinforcements every hour & will no increase to three or four thousand before they decide to go get some dinner and something to drink. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain as long as possible & then run to the newspapers and tell them I work for the governor.

Victory or Shreveport!
    William Barret McKinney
    Chf. Gomer, Comdt.

2. 97C5

97C5 First Time Poster

*laugh* Good job!

3. Papichulo

Papichulo First Time Poster

Good stuff! "A"s for both imagination and execution.

4. Now that is funny. [​IMG]

5. 69horn

69horn < 25 Posts

William Barrett McKinney?

Wasn't he the corps turd that broke his sword and threw it at a cheerleader?

6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

OK, since McKinney is a public figure, he's open to this and I'll allow it. But I'll go on record as saying the following:
    1. I don't buy the "those people shouldn't have been there" arguement now, just like I didn't buy it when the Ags were pounding on babies and old women with walkers back in '95. The Tech fans are SOLELY responsible for what went on. There's no way trying to shove goalposts into occupied stands (no matter the reason why the stands were occupied) can be justified, and I'm not going to sit in judgment of someone who felt the need to defend himself and friends/family from what could have been a dangerous situation.
    2. I know the McKinney family to some degree, and they're good people. Should they have sat in the stands instead of getting out of the way? I don't know, I wasn't there. But I know most people on this board probably would have responded the same way.
    3. That being said, this post is hillarious. Nice use of historical satire.

7. Orange Salad Ranch

Orange Salad Ranch 250+ Posts

That's the funniest thing I've read in awhile.

"Victory or Shreveport" LOL [​IMG]

8. I believe

I believe 25+ Posts

Public figure status confers a lot of legal legroom to lampoon someone. This is classic stuff.

9. BornOrange

BornOrange 100+ Posts

Instant classic!

10. CraigHorn

CraigHorn 500+ Posts

Two points:

1. Techsters are largely to blame here
    2. This is the funniest post I've seen in a long while

11. 69horn

69horn < 25 Posts

You know, I have been to Lubbock in my Horn regalia to watch the Horns--a couple of those we lost and I was surrounded by Raiders. Though I yelled my head off and in general acted like a "fanatic", I never had a moment's problem on the way to my seats, during the game, afterward or on the way to my car. Some of the Raider fans were loud and obnoxious, but that goes with the territory.

I feel bad that anyone was injured, but I have learned the hard way that offensive behaviour is best ignored and/or avoided.

It could be constued to be just a tad grandiose to compare some overzealous, out-of-line, hell raising football "fanatics" toting a goalpost around to Santa Anna's army overrunning the Alamo.

12. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Great stuff !

13. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

Maybe you ought to forward this to ESPN for their Sidelines program! [​IMG]

14. Turn the page, Fred

Turn the page, Fred < 25 Posts

I love this quote from the Houston Chronicle:

Mike McKinney, chief of staff for Gov. Rick Perry and father of A&M offensive lineman Seth McKinney, suffered a one-inch gash above his right eye when he was punched by a man as the crowd in the seats tried to keep the goal post from injuring people in the stands.

"I was trying to keep them from coming up in the stands," McKinney said. "I pushed two of them down and grabbed the binoculars and said the next one that comes up gets it.

"Then somebody who was already in the stands I guess, came up and knocked the fool out of me. I saw him hit me. A kid in a red shirt. That's all I saw.

"It was like the Alamo, they were coming up over the wall."

---WTF???

"Who wants a piece of me?!!...(thwack)...OWWWWW!!!"

15. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

"McKinney, 50, said when one Tech fan tried to grab his binoculars, he shouted, '"The next one who comes up, gets it!'"

In true Texas revolutionary fashion!

Let's replace the cannon with a pair of binoculars
    "COME AND GET IT!"

16. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Brilliant!

Maybe the book should be entitiled 13 Stitches to Glory.

17. bear 19

bear 19 < 25 Posts

another example of why hornfans is my favorite.

18. DrJ

DrJ 25+ Posts

I certainly don't condone the actions of the Tech mob in this case. But given that no one was seriously hurt, this post has me rolling. Extremely clever.

I vote it be moved to the Classics!

19. 3shot

3shot < 25 Posts

Wow. I am speechless!

"Victory or Shreveport!"--bclarke

20. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

Great stuff, bclarke.

Here are a few pics I found of McKinney.

[​IMG]

"Don't you know that I'm the Gov's Chief of Staff? You can't shove that goalpost in the Gov's Chief of Staff's section."

[​IMG]

"Don't you know that I'm the Gov's Chief of Staff? That eye you just punched is protected by the State of Texas. That is like punching the State of Texas in the eye. Gov Rick will not be pleased."

[​IMG]

"One of my duties as Gov Perry's Chief of Staff is to protect the visitors section of all stadiums in the state of Texas from terroristic threats from out of control goalposts. This maroon blood streaming from above my eye was shed while protecting all Texans from this very real terror. Next to me here is the wife of the Gov's Chief of Staff and you can tell she ain't too pleased with the immature acts of machismo that she has witnessed today. She had a few unkind words for those wild Tech fans too."

21. texashero

texashero < 25 Posts

And I thought I was texashero.

Seriously: funny stuff. Thanks. FWIW, though, young Col. Travis used a lot more exclamation marks!!!

Hook 'em.

22. Bosshorn

Bosshorn 25+ Posts

Now that post is truly a classic. Great fun.

23. HookemHorns

HookemHorns < 25 Posts

Classic!! Nice Job.

24. Scipio Tex

Scipio Tex 100+ Posts

Great post.

I like how you modeled it on the Gettysburg Address!

25. garrett

garrett < 25 Posts

26. LonghornMM

LonghornMM 100+ Posts

That is too funny. Someone needs to post this on Texags.

27. navyhornO6

navyhornO6 < 25 Posts

28. Fritz

Fritz 500+ Posts

Hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

Victory or Shreveport!

Hook 'em

Fritz

29. BongoHorn

BongoHorn 25+ Posts

Hilarious! Classic material, hit the target squarely between the goalposts.
    In my limited experience, it takes two to fight. The ags could easily have avoided such a confrontation. The band "commander" withdrew the band from the battlefield, for example. Don't whitewash the incident.

30. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

Hilarious. Were Tech fans to blame? Probably....WHO CARES?!?!?

LMAO