Report site issues/questions here

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by MudHorn, Feb 16, 2015.

1. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

@NJlonghorn -- when you log in check the "Stay logged in" box and this should extend the period before it times out.

login.png

2. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

I think I have this solved now. If you click one of the old forum links it should redirect you to the forums page here now, so this should help anyone that’s still hitting the old bookmarks and getting the server error.

For example, the previous football forum was at this link:

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=football

That link will now take you to hornfans.com/forums

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

What is the address again to make a contribution by check? Really glad this site is continuing. Lurking since 2004.

4. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

@mchammer Thanks for the offer, it is much appreciated. :hookem:

Hornfans.com
    5554 South Peek Rd #26
    Katy, TX 77450

Also, sometime within the next couple of weeks I will set up the sponsorships so folks can help support the site if they want to. I will post something when it’s ready.

5. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Dion, I have a suggestion about sponsorship. Maybe it could be possible to donate or pledge sponsorship in the memory of someone. Maybe a family member, friend, or even a poster who was here and well liked.

Today would have been my father's 94th birthday. As some know he passed away last month while we were putting the site together and testing it. I would gladly do that as I would have anyway, but it is just a thought I had that might improve donations and sponsorships.

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Great idea @NBHorn7 — I will definitely look for a way to work that into the plan.

7. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

WOW! O.O

I turned off all the e-mail notifications and saved the changes, but I keep getting e-mails for EVERYTHING! lol

8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Same here.

9. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

10. snek

snek 500+ Posts

Walkinghorn and Chicago, that happened to me too but I think I found the solution. I had "followed" a thread at the thread itself and I kept getting emails about it. I had opted out of updates. I undid the follow that thread and the emails stopped. Maybe this is what is happening to you?

11. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Will check that, thanks.

12. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

See this post above with the big screen shot. Make sure you clear those options in your Browsing Preferences. If you're still getting the emails after that let me know.

Edit: also what @horninchicago noted above about "watched" threads and posts. Just have to tweak the settings a bit to get what you want.

13. TheWalkingHorn

Hmmm, don't know. It figured out the following a thread thing. And I DO want alerts on here when someone quotes or likes a post, but I don't need an e-mail. And I unchecked the e-mail setting. :/

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Another tip: if you want to link to a specific post, click the number at the bottom right corner of the post and you will get a popup window with a link to it. Select the top link in the popup and use that. It will jump directly to that post.

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 9.32.30 PM.png

15. TheWalkingHorn

Wait, wait, hold the phones. I have to ask wtf your avi is.

16. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

My inner child. He’s a teenager now and he wants to borrow the car. I don’t know what I should do. Also I think he’s been smoking.

17. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

@bevo barry Here’s what happened with the post counts. It took a while to figure this out after we converted the old site data into the new forum.

In the old site everyone’s posts were all tallied up from the beginning. At some point in the past a lot of old posts were deleted to clean up the database. Classic threads and such were retained but others that nobody looked at any more were removed. However, when these posts were removed, everyone’s post count remained the same, even though many of their posts were no longer in the system.

But when we migrated the data over to the new system, it counted actual posts that remained in the database. Make sense? So everyone’s post count is lower now, not just yours. There was nothing to be done about that.

18. TheWalkingHorn

[mcconaughey] smoking what? [/mcconaughey]

19. TheWalkingHorn

Why are some posts bold? Is that just because the user did that or is there some meaning behind it?

20. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

It’s only bold if you set your font that way.

21. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Because I'm a bold kind of guy and it's easier to read. All those baseball threads will make you appreciate bold, especially; a four hour game like last Tuesday night.

22. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

So, admins, what are the "trophies" and at what posting levels do you "win" them?

23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Trophies are a feature of this forum software that I have disabled for now. It’s really kind of a silly (in my opinion) hierarchy of messages you would receive based on your number of posts and likes. You can see an example of the default setup here and get an idea of what kind of messages you would get based on your post counts and “likes” received.

With everything else that needed to be done to get the site ready for launch, the trophy system was just very low on my radar, so I decided to disable it and focus on the more essential stuff.

24. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

After going to the link I say, Good Call!

25. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Because I haven't found a way to change a post's title, I've had to delete 2 threads and repost them with new titles due to content changes. Am I missing something so obvious that I'm revealing my well-guarded senility or that I'm revealing my well-guarded senility?

[nm, just found it. And it was kinda hidden - HA!]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I will put something in the FAQ about this -- thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

28. TheWalkingHorn

We need a random daily chit chat thread. For example: I am currently thrilled that AISD is on a 2 hour delay tomorrow. Ms. WalkingHorn is sleeping in. :D

• Like Like x 1
  29. snek

snek 500+ Posts

That would be the "Rub it in y'alls faces I don't have to work" thread?!

• Like Like x 1
  30. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

Would a general purpose Schadenfreude thread do?