#1 seeds?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by orangecat1, Mar 5, 2011.

1. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

so, imo the #1 seeds are OhioSt, Kansas, Pitt, and .........? Notre Dame, BYU,?

You don't put Duke in there do you? lost two in a row, haven't played a schedule worth a darn, but have only 4 losses.

If we had lost one fewer game down the stretch, say if we had won at Colorado instead of losing, I could see us in the picture for a #1.

We're a solid #2 now assuming we win at least one game in the tourney.

I disagree with the announcers who think N. Carolina has a shot to be a #1 seed. Too far to go, imo.

2. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

We really stubbed our toe when we lost at home to K-State. At this point, I don't think Texas would get a No.1 seed even if it won the Big 12 Tournament, but maybe there's a chance if we do it at KU's expense and a couple of other heavy hitters fall.

3. BigVegasHorn26

BigVegasHorn26 250+ Posts

If we stubbed our toe in losing to KState, then when slammed our dick in the door when we lost to CU.

4. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

It's Notre Dame's to lose at this point. Texas is really the only other team with an outside shot if they win out. Purdue and Duke lost their chances today. BYU is unlikely since no one will know how good they really are now. I don't see anyone else reasonably in the mix.

If ND loses in the BigEast Tourney and Texas wins the B12 Tourney, it becomes an interesting argument. Both were #2 in the conference, both have lots of good wins. Notre Dame plays in a ridiculous conference. But ND has 5 double-digit losses; Texas has 6 losses, but 5 of them were very close. I think Texas probably gets it in that scenario.

That said, we improved today, but we're still nowhere close to midseason form. I don't see us beating Kansas again. Our best shot would be Kansas losing to KSU and us beating KSU. But that denies us the chance to beat a top 5 team, which would be great for the resume.

5. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

6. TXThorn

TXThorn Guest

Glad to see KU and KSU won't be facing us until the final if we get there. KSU is hot...if those two throw down in a rough, tight battle...could help us alot in a rematch with either. As far as who I'd rather play, not sold on that one. If KSU wins out to final, their momentum would be enormous, and they do have scoreboard on us at our place. And we did take out KU in Lawrence. That figures into the psyche somewhat when facing off again. KU is a notorious monster for us, but I wouldn't sell KSU short right now. Sure would be nice to take out Baylor, Aggie, and then top it off with another KU upset. With the season going the way it is, I assume at least a few big conference favorites will lose unexpectedly. I could see North Carolina, ND, and/or BYU all going down. We take care of business, a very tall order, I think we have a decent enough shot at a #1. But let's just get the first win and then go from there. A rematch with Baylor would still be a tough game.

7. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

8. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

#1s
    Ohio St.
    Kansas
    Pitt
    Notre Dame

#2s
    Duke
    BYU
    Purdue
    Texas

San Diego St. is going to have to be a 3 seed or lower. I can't see them getting a #2 seed meanwhile they lost twice to another #2 seed. They just arnen't on the same level. The Big East really tore itself up this year and consequently there are going to be some very dangerous #3 and #4 seeds in this year's tournament.

9. TXThorn

TXThorn Guest

Just looking at that last lineup of 1's and 2's tells me this tourney is gonna be one hell of a battle all the way around. I don't think any of those 8 teams will be happy to see another. All are very capable on any given day. The winner is gonna need some serious luck somewhere along the line.

10. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

11. tholly

tholly 1,000+ Posts

I am a little more pessimistic. I believe a #1 seed is simply gone. Even a #2 could be gone if we don't make the B12 finals. Should we lose to Bay/aNm in semis, that would be 4 losses in last 7 games and 7 losses overall. NCar could slide up to a #2 ahead of us. The way we look on offense right now, I have no reason to think we're a threat to win it all

12. starchild

starchild 500+ Posts

agree with tholly 100%

13. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Most analysts think alot higher of Texas than Texas fans do right now. Texas has some very good quality wins under their belt (NC, Kansas, Michigan St., A&M (twice), Mizz.

Big 12 tournament shows Texas with 2 very favorable likely matchups in the quarters and semis. The seeds for the NCAA will be decided before the championship game results IMO. Texas has a great shot at making the finals.

Texas is not a #1 but has a great shot at a #2.

14. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

I could really see the committee letting Duke keep a #1 and moving NC into the final #1 just based on RPI.

I think Pitt and Irish are going to be #2's. I feel Texas is now a lock for a #3 with their win over Baylor - and their body of work for the season. I think conf. tourney is irrelevant.