10-3 possibility...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by mop, Nov 3, 2012.

1. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

if we win the next 2 games (quite possible) and lose to KSU (quite likely), we will be 9-3 with a bowl game. if we manage to win that bowl game (which could quite possibly be A&M obviously) then we are 10-3. to go from 5-7, to 8-5 and then to 10-3 is a reasonably good recovery, OU game aside. That puts us in a good place to "come of age" next year and have a competitive season. I know this isn't a popular thing to say around here, but I am not ready to give up on our coach or coordinators yet.

still very concerned about Defense, but tonight was respectable against a very good Tech offense and, while it is a tired excuse, the Big 12 does have an awfully good set of offenses. at the end of the day, we played WVU to the wired, lost ridiculously to OU and will probably lose to KSU (how bad, I don't know). not a bad year considering where we were 2 seasons ago.

2. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

You really believe this Texas team versus aggy in a bowl game would end up a win for us? Have you watched aggy at all the last few weeks??

The way aggy is progressing and with a huunger for 27-25 revenge I can't see how anyone would think we win that one. Not with the D that we have fielded the last 5 weeks.

This discussion MIGHT be valid IF we win the next two handily and play KS within 2 or 3, but not because we looked better in Lubbock, not now. Right now, I'm glad we won today, but I have no delusion as to some miraculous turn-around.

3. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

We don't want aggy in a bowl with this Horn D.

4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

With this defense I would like a Big Ten team in the bowl game please!

5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think UT v Neb would be fun or UT vs. usc. [​IMG]

6. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

I agree that the Ags look impressive, but I get this nagging feeling that they are showing that the SEC isn't so great. The only common game we have is Ole Miss who we pounded 66-31 while they beat Ole Miss 30-27. No, I don't want to make too much of that, but it was interesting nonetheless. I also think of how much the SEC is pumped up but then look at their pre-conference showing and they were fairly lousy. I am not convinced that A&M is that great, but yes, it would scare me VERY bad!

7. LINGHARN

LINGHARN < 25 Posts

No way Deloss will agree to play Aggies in a bowl.

8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

9. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

10. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

11. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

not sure man. we sort of are in their heads like the Sooners are in ours.

12. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

don't ever want to play aggy again

13. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think we'd be guaranteed the Cotton Bowl if we won out, including at Manhattan on December 1. Our BCS ranking wouldn't be high enough to guarantee an auto-bid. If we go 9-3, we'll probably be tied with a couple other teams with 3 losses in conference. I think Alamo is more likely in that scenario.

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

aggy is at best the 5th best team in the SEC (Bama, LSU, Flordia, Georgia ahead of them) so they will not be going to the Cotton Bowl

16. Loma Vista

Loma Vista 100+ Posts

The guy that by far hurt A&M the worst this year was Patton of LaTech. With Mike Davis and Ash finally getting their chemistry right, that match up would burn them just as bad.

Each team would score 40+

17. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

18. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

"aggy is at best the 5th best team in the SEC (Bama, LSU, Flordia, Georgia ahead of them) so they will not be going to the Cotton Bowl"

Cotton Bowl isn't contractually obligated to take the 2nd best team in the SEC, kind of like they do for the Big 12. After the BCS bid (and a likely 2nd BCS bid for the SEC, just because), the Capital One Bowl typically gets the first choice of remaining teams. They'll take the most desirable remaining team. It might be Georgia at the moment, unless Florida screws the pooch or something the next few weeks. Then the Cotton/Outback get simultaneous picks for the East/West divisions of the best remaining teams. It would be between LSU and A&M for the Cotton. Either way, the committee knows it will get a ton of support for either team.

19. Loma Vista

Loma Vista 100+ Posts

Hookem123, keep telling that lie until it becomes true.

Aggy isn't the one that refuses to play the other.

20. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

Loma Vista,

I never said it was, it is DeLose Dodds who is refusing to play them, as he should. I'm sure he is tired of being lied to and about.

Aggy can't keep their word, this alone is reason enough to never play them again.

21. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

22. FireRC

FireRC 500+ Posts

When did we ever say we didn't want to play you guys?

I'll be honest, I couldn't care less anymore but it would make for an interesting Cotton Bowl. That being said, I don't think it happens.

23. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

9 and 3 Im in favor of, with a chance to be 10 and 3.

Playing aggy in the bowl I am not in favor of. Turn down the invitation and forego the money. We lose money on bowl games if they aren't BCS anyway.

There is absolutely no upside to playing aggy, even if we win, and only downside. I am not in favor of doing the boys in collie station any favors.

24. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

9-3 and we're in the Alamo Bowl against USC

No one outside of the State of Texas would care about a Texas v Aggie bowl game.

25. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

with 1 more win each for the horns and the Ags, does my admittedly unlikely scenario become a bit more likely?

By the way, I think this game WOULD be bigger than some realize just because of the recent "divorce" that has happened and A&M's good showing in the SEC coupled with our steady improvement (minus a horrific OU showing). I think this could actually be one of the more interesting bowl games.

26. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

27. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I don't ever want to play them again. THEY walked away. Playing them is just rewarding them for bad behavior.

28. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

They had their shot last Thanksgiving night on their turf.
    They had everything in their favor and had a double digit
    lead.

Then they blew that and then regained the lead late in the
    game and couldn't stop us and our back up quarterback.

No, we should not give them another opportunity this soon
    after they walked away. They need to remember that loss
    for a good long time after all the talking they did about eternal
    scoreboard and such.

Actions and choices should result in consequences for them.
    They made their choice, now they should live with the results
    of that last game and the consequences of walking away till
    we decide if and when we want to play them again.

29. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I might play Aggy, but it won't be in the Cotton Bowl.

30. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

honestly, as a SUNSHINE PUMPER....I'm hoping for 11-2!!!

[​IMG]

I keep telling myself that the talent is there!!!

[​IMG]