100 days, til kickoff!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by CoachMc, May 23, 2018.

1. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

Super Bill
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

“The Sheriff” Stanley Richard
    1987-1990

StanleyRichard.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

#18 QB Donnie Wiggington - wishbone QB 1970-1972

• Like Like x 2
  4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

WIT

5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

"The University of Texas has opted to decline its invitation to the Cotton Bowl, and accepted a bid to play in the Sun Bowl. We're confident that our friends at Texas A&M University will *pfffffhehehe* be more than capable of *teehee* representing the conference against Miami. BWAHAHAHA!!! LATER SUCKERS.... Oh sorry... is this still on?"

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

That little Assembly of God church in Hawkins sent us Edwin Simmons, Stanley Richard, and a two or three time NCAA track champion (Skeeter or Scooter or something like that)

:hookem2:

7. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    Haven't the foggiest idea of who 18 is, but HOLY GUACAMOLE WE BEAT USC!!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hideo Gump Jr.

Matt Melton. A DB who actually lettered a couple of times. Just to his right, Kasey Studdard is beginning his sprint to midfield, only to find nobody is within 15 yards of him when he gets there. He tells the story on the longhorn living room episode frequently repeated on LHN.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

#17 John Hagy

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. WorsterMan

#17 QB Tommy Wade - 1961-1963

• Like Like x 1
  11. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm sorry, but any chance I get to toss in a photo of us beating the Russians in 1980 then I'm doing it. At least there is a 17 in there!

• Like Like x 4
  12. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

I was at UT when Hagy played. Loved watching him play at a time when there wasn't much to love about UT football.

13. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

October 10, 1992 - Peter Gardere becomes the first and only quarterback to beat Oklahoma four times (1989-1992), 28-24, 14-13, 10-7, 34-24). The Great Van Malone (#8), encouraging the remaining Sooner fans to "Take 4 of these and call me in the morning"!

:cowrose::hookem2::ousucksnana::hammertime::hammertime::texasflag:

• Like Like x 4
  14. WorsterMan

^^^^ YDD - now THAT is an awesome find - never seen that photo before!!!:ousucksnana:

15. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Somebody hasn’t been paying attention. Review #21.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WorsterMan

Hey, so I'm adult ADHD!

17. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

More #17's.....

Tre Thomas
    [​IMG]

Adrian Phillips
    [​IMG]

Bonus pic....two #17's in the same picture (Joe Walker and Ryan O'Neil)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  18. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

#16 James Street. One of the more iconic pictures in Longhorn history.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  19. WorsterMan

# 16 the great TE David Thomas

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hideo Gump Jr.

#16 Robert Brewer. A legacy who walked on and got his chance after Rick McIvor was injured. While not the best athlete to wear this number on the 40, imo should be considered one of many great 16s that are sure to follow on this thread today.
    [​IMG]
    He had a 13-2 record as a starter with a memorable victory over ‘bama in the 82 Cotton Bowl. Our Sun Bowl loss to Carolina turns out different if he hadn’t been injured. IIRC there was a possibility of an extra year of eligibility for the 83 season that didn’t work out. How does that season work out with him under center?

• Like Like x 4
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The look on Fred's face when Robert ran the QB draw in the Cotton Bowl without telling anyone it was coming. The "what the hell" look on Fred's face turning into him yelling "run, run, run" was classic.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  22. ProdigalHorn

One of my favorites as a kid. One of only two or three QBs that ever really got Akers' offense rolling - the '82 team was a lot of fun until he got hurt before that stupid Sun Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

More #16's....

David Thomas (Mr. Clutch)
    [​IMG]

Jermichael Finley
    [​IMG]

Lance Gunn
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  24. Hideo Gump Jr.

Chris Carter
    [​IMG]
    I absolutely didn’t want to forget to mention this guy.

• Like Like x 5
  25. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You mean this touchdown run, S.I.???

[​IMG]
    I can't BELIEVE no one has posted this one yet :)

• Like Like x 5
  26. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

And that was after Brewer called a TIME OUT to come confer with Fred on the play before hand. I heard Fred once say in a dryness that would rival Bob Dole...."just the way we drew it up".

Us old foggy's have been thru some wild 4th quarters of games, but this one is high on the list of 4th quarters not played in Pasadena or Razorback Stadium. Orr, Brewer, the kick return, the intentional safety, the interception at the goal line. I know it's out of order, but don't think I left anything out. And those stupid red & white shaker pom-poms on the other side of the field. Million Dollar Band my ***.

Oh, and no number #316 for Bear Bryant. Not that day, Hoss.

:texasflag::hookem2::cowrose:

Side note: After the game I jumped an Alabama fans car that was by us in the lot. He had that LBJ/Bear Bryant look to him, a quart of whiskey and 6 packs of cigarettes for breakfast. Big man that looked 70 and was probably 50 (as a point of reference, LBJ and Bryant were only 62 when they died). Tried to give me money, which I of course refused. He said, "I learned 2 things today. Neither Texas or their fans are Baylor".

Bama had played 10-1 Baylor in the Cotton exactly one year to the day before. They won 30-2. He was right. On both counts.

• Like Like x 2
  27. WorsterMan

#15 QB - Rick McIvor

28. Hideo Gump Jr.

#15 Russell Erxleben
    [​IMG]
    Just like a walk to Lou Brock was as good as a double, with Erxleben on the roster when we crossed midfield three points were in the bag.

• Like Like x 6
  29. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

More #15's.....

Rick McIvor
    [​IMG]

Hunter Lawrence
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  30. ProdigalHorn

Rick McIvor seems like he was around forever. It's a testament to the hodgepodge that was our QB situation in the early 80s.

Quick question for the old people. ( :D ) Was watching the '76 Arkansas game, and McBath must have run for 100 yards. I know he got hurt the following year (broken leg?) - was he ever seriously in contention for the QB job after that? He looked like a guy that was probably recruited to run the wishbone, so I don't know if he fit into Fred's offensive plans anyway.