104.9 The Horn

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TexasTower, Jul 12, 2012.

1. TexasTower

TexasTower 500+ Posts

What happened over there today? Seems like Ketch and Chip Brown are no longer with the station from their twitter comments.

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

What time slot were they on? Well, provided they are not still on. Weren't they sort of the stars of the station or is it the morning show? Is Chad still on that?

3. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

They at 104.9, both morning and throughout the day -- the same as The Herd and "Mike & Mike in the Morning" -- all summer have been taking turns with this or that staff being out. You have no clue what day they will be off, or why.

Talk about bankers hours.... a talk show host is buried from the eve of football season until a little after... then it's the Life of Riley. I doubt Geoff or Chad have either one put in more than 1 to 2 full days time on the air all summer.

ps. Chad did the Drive today at 4pm. Beat up on Penn State the whole shift.

4. Win

Win 100+ Posts

The Drive's FB page says it was Geoff, Chip's and AT (the producer)'s last day. Apparently new ownership decided to fire them but I'm trying to find out more information. Thought I could go here to find more information but nothing here.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Doesn't Geoff own Orangebloods? I bet they have info or at least a comment. I am not a subscriber so doubt I could see anything. I could be wrong but am watching 24 right now.

6. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Win, are you freaking serious? I was listening to 90 percent of today's show, and did not recall catching (sic!) that. But I can say that during the week there was a lot of off-color stuff -- and Geoff had a really strange contribution all afternoon on Wed with that mess about a run-in with some lady -- and lately they have been really pushing some envelopes with their social-minded agendas, who's hotter than _____, and so forth. So maybe something has been going on... hummm... I'll be on the air at 4pm tomorrow to see what's what and listening to Erin's show, Morning Rush, in the AM tomorrow.

Weird, I just read the July 10th piece on OB. I can't remember what I was doing Wed afternoon. And today I was trying to get other things done while listening to most of the first and second hour running up to 6:30 to 6:45, and do not remember Chad saying anything. Oh, well. I was mostly focused on the Penn State report.

FRIDAY... On the Morning Rush... Erin Hogan without Chip Brown. Could be an Orangebloods sweep.

The Good Old Days for me was 'Buck on Sports' when Bucky Godbolt and Erin Hogan had the show on 1300 The Zone. When Erin left I then moved over to 104.9, but never really latched on to the full OB influence.

Today my favoriate voice besides Hogan is.... Chance Mock! He's a natural.

7. TEXASMADE

TEXASMADE 250+ Posts

Chance was fired also so it looks like you can go back to listiening to NPR.

8. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

9. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Hearing Ketchum talk about women, himself or anything other than sports often made my skin crawl. It was the best show in the afternoon, though.

Chance Mock was a pretty dull radio personality, IMHO. They need to find someone who won't parrot Sean Adams' preaching. Mock and the last guy would usually just restate whatever Adams said only with more emotion. Chip Brown was a good partner for him because he wasn't so serious.

Be interesting to see what happens and why on The Horn. I assume Erin Hogan is still the programming manager?

10. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

I have satellite radio and the only FM station I listened to was 104.9. The other one I would sometimes switch to was KLBJ when they had the Charlie Hodge halftime show. Both those stations have slit their throats. The rest of Austin radio just sucks.

11. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Lame. They probably want a more Craig Way talk show type lineup, zzzzzzzzzzz. I always enjoyed how these shows didn't focus solely on the same stories every other show did.

12. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Sorry for the side question, but AM 1530 also disappeared (well, it is now a Spanish station)--did it go somewhere else on the dial, or is it just gone?

13. South Austin

14. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I switched to The Zone long ago.
    Couldn't stand Cowherd either.
    Dan Patrick much better.
    Bucky is better than Hogan and Brown.
    Babers and Way at least make you laugh.
    Adams and Mock became lifeless.

15. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

16. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Holy crap, that is too bad.

Chip Brown was the best thing on Austin sports radio and I liked Ketchs and Chad's dynamic, though I didn't like some of the stuff they wasted our time on, like the best burger in Austin contest or whatever.

17. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Border Media, which owned the Horn, as well as several other stations in the Austin market, is divesting itself of all of its' stations. I'm not sure just who is buying what station, or what the new formats will be, but I think it's safe to say the Horn is probably going in the tank...if it hasn't already done so.

18. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

I liked the insights and banter in general, but did grow tired of many of the themes and formats. And I was very tired of the Orangebloods connection and 'promotions.' I thought Chip was best on the phone calling in, and worse when doing a flash, fast-as-you-can-speak sports bulletin. Very grating.

I got tired of the good ole boys club hotter-than, and "in her prime," and if your wife gave you a hall pass.... no major ESPN program gets into that. Cowherd is very good at social analogies but doesn't do the hardy-har-har, boy she's hot, to the degree these local teams have. Just too much of that at times, so it grew thin.

Time for new programming, but the 1300 spots all day long are not my fare.

19. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

So Rod B is the face of progressive sports radio in Austin?

I like opinions of guys who've played the game, I'll admit that.

20. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I prefer the national radio shows myself. Dan Patrick has great takes and is entertaining. he gets get guests to come on. Mike and Mike are solid. I can live without Jim Rome. Colin has great takes as well and I enjoy his show. The other show that really like is the Scott Van Pelt Show. But can't seem to catch that one much.

The local shows are normally only good for me to hear about local UT stuff. They mix in so much crap though that it is very often hard to listen to. They speculate so much that it almost seems like they do no research at times. And I hate hearing E Hogan go on about the Cowboys on a Monday morning when UT played a game that Saturday. If I am only listening to you for 20 minutes on my way to work I want to hear mostly UT stuff. Bucky was solid about 10 years ago but I don't think he has been around the program enough lately to have real insights. He is entertaining and good to have as a 3rd host but you still need a more current ex-player on there to give us the real insights IMO.

21. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

22. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

They really did it to themselves with their constant pimping of OB and the never ending frat boy conversations. Now maybe both the station and OB will get better.

23. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I don't subscribe to OB, so I really can't say how good, or not, Chip and Ketch are at breaking Longhorn news.

I did listen to them longterm on the Horn, and while I think both contributed some nice things to radio listeners, I agree that radio probably wasn't their strong suit. It takes years of experience in the broadcasting field, IF someone has the innate broadcasting talent, to contribute substantially in that business.

I have to agree that OB will probably improve now that Chip and Ketch will devote their full attention to it, while the Horn moves on in whatever direction it ultimately goes. Knowing broadcasting, I wouldn't want to bet that will be in sports radio.

24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

25. Fritz

Fritz 500+ Posts

That is really too bad - I listened on and off to both the morning and afternoon shows while commuting. Chip might not have been the most polished guy in the world, but his content was very good. Rats.

I hope all those guys land on their feet.

26. South Austin

The station needs quality replacements quick or it's going to lose listeners.

So far the fillers sitting with E Hogan on the morning show aren't doing it.

And Chad's a decent guy and a good copilot, but listening to him go solo for the afternoon show is unbearable.

27. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

So they've cleaned house yet still have the good Reverend Sean Adams?

They are run by buffoons if they kept his annoying ***. If he was the only show on earth I would soon forget I even had a radio.

28. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

It's a pretty sad commentary on the state of sports radio in the state's capitol when Waco has an infinitely better sportstalk station than Austin. At least people living in Austin can pick up both central Texas and San Antonio sportstalk radio. Maybe one of Austin's multitude of Spanish-programmed stations will decide to do sportstalk, and do it right.

29. UTArlington

UTArlington 100+ Posts

I think what really needs to be said is radio is dying like print media. Most people have satellite, listen to podcast, stream through apps, or listen to iTunes/mp3 player

Radio has been losing listeners at an alarming rate in the same way newspapers are losing subscribers/readers.

I liked the morning show, hated the nooner, Adams theory was alright but Mock annoyed me, loved the afternoon show. Announced today that Erin Hogan will be moving to afternoon with Sean Adams from 3-7. Chad Hastings is moving to 12-3. No word on the losers from the nooner or who/what the morning show will be.

30. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest