1992 am Game

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by AlamoHeightsHorn, Nov 21, 2008.

1. AlamoHeightsHorn

AlamoHeightsHorn 100+ Posts

Was the year 1992 when the aggies came into Memorial stadium in Austin and beat us by 20 or so points, but to add more insult to the beating danced all over the 50 yard line after the game for several minutes?

Also what year was it as well when the horns were cut off of the astroturf at the 50 yard line by aggie vandals?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jbentley0813

jbentley0813 100+ Posts

I'm pretty sure that was '92. It was my freshman year and the first time I'd spent Thanksgiving away from home. After watching that blowout, I questioned my decision making ability. After I got my grades that year (and the ensuing academic suspension) everyone questioned by decision making ability.

I believe that the sawed off horns were in 1994.

3. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

Aw, why'd ya have to go dredge up all this stuff again?

[​IMG]

Tough times to be a Longhorn fan, for sure.

4. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

Yep. Gardere's senior year, Mackovic's first year. Seems like a long time ago.

5. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

I was there with my brother...recall it being rather chilly that evening.

[​IMG]

6. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Wonder if that's the year Aggy came in pretty heavily ranked and smoked us in the end. I remember one game in which we hung with them for a half. Then, at the beginning of the 2nd half, we did some trick play that gained us a bunch of yards and the crowd went nuts. I wanna say we were down 13-3 or something and the trick play was about to pull us within 3.

Regardless, either '92 or '94, when the Aggy band came on the field, I'll never forget 20,000 in the TX student section giving the "sig heill."

7. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

8. RP McMurphy

RP McMurphy 100+ Posts

things I remember from that day:

it was cold.

found out a few hours before the game that liquor stores are closed on Thanksgiving - I was young then, should have planned ahead.

About midway through the 4th quarter we had the ball inside the TAMU ten with a chance to cut their lead to 7.

Then, ****! Interception returned 100 yards and the Ags are up by 21.

game over.

not a good Thanksgiving.

9. lhb98

lhb98 250+ Posts

'92 was also the year of the incredibly ill-conceived joint halftime show between the 2 bands, which almost ended up as a literal riot.

10. Brother Horn

Brother Horn 100+ Posts

11. jbentley0813

jbentley0813 100+ Posts

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Wherever they are, they are still douchebags.

13. Horn-N-LA

Horn-N-LA 1,000+ Posts

I was there and I remember that interception well. I also remember, while watching the aggy run it back thinking, thank goodness, this era is about over.

14. goosehorn

goosehorn 500+ Posts

THanks for the reminder about T-day not being able to get liquor. I hadn't thought of that.

15. goosehorn

goosehorn 500+ Posts

Also too...

LHB98: How did the halftime show go? I don't recall hearing about it being bad? Was this the year that the Mob made fun of Revellie, and our band made some mention of it or something?

Also too, What exactly was the vandalism again? I jumped on board in 94', so i was just a little too late for all the fun [​IMG]

16. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

The cut the Horns off the logo in the middle of the field by cutting up the astro turf it was painted on.

A few years later they had the audacity to pull women's hair that walked onto Kyle field after we won.

17. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

My first game against aggy where I was in the stands. I do remember when Texas cut the lead to something like 17-13 in the third quarter on a trick play where the RB threw it back to the QB the place went nuts. It was fricking cold and the halftime both bands together show was a total disaster. Also isnt that the year the aggy team ran through the Texas band pregame so at halftime the whole band ran in front of the big bad aggy players and basically dared them to do it again. A subsequent fight avoided only by the security guards on the field and the aggy coaches.

I also remember the whole student section giving the Seig Heil to the aggy corps that night.

18. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

34-13. I was not at the game, but I remember watching it on TV going from a close tough game to aggy running away with it. That 100 INT for a TD was just a killer. I also remember all the anger and ill-will created by the players dancing on Bevo at midfield after the game... aggy cocksuckers.

19. the Saint

the Saint 500+ Posts

For the longest time Rice University would open the gates at halftime to let people in for free. Sometimes my Mom would take my sister and I, and my brother after he came along, to the games, but we would wait until the gates were open to go in. We always went to the Owl-Aggy games because as a graduate of TWU, my Mom had this weird infatuation with Aggy, and particularly the Aggy band (this was later corrected by virtue of the fact she put all three kids through The University).

Anyway, we were there when the Rice band made fun of the recently deceased Reveille. They played "Oh Where Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone?" in the shape of a fire hydrant and had someone with an invisible dog leash walking around. Great Summary of That Day Here I recall being amused when someone explained it to me. I was nine (9) and a die hard orangeblood that worshiped Roosevelt Leaks, but the most distinct memory I have is what occurred after the game. It was chaos with Aggy fans and Aggy band members surrounding the MOB, and the occasional skirmish breaking out while the cops led them into the tunnel at the South end of Rice Stadium.

Years later I had the privilege of working with an individual that had been a member of the MOB that day, and the story he told was just gut-splitting funny. He added several details regarding fights and the flight from the stadium. He and his roommate had volunteered for Big Brothers/Big Sisters and were hosting a kid that was sitting with them in the stands for the first and only time, and had to run the gauntlet with them to reach safe haven. With the Aggy band hunkered down outside the field entrance, the police had to call a bus to the stadium to carry the band past the Aggy fans gathered outside the stadium.

Further, I was also a member of the media working the 1995 game in College Station. I was a producer for ABC Sports and remained painstakingly neutral during the game in my nondescript "street" clothes (no burnt orange). I wore a media badge around my neck, and I won't go into great detail, but what I saw after that game forever changed my opinion of Aggy. Women having their hair pulled? Hell. That's mild when compared to what I witnessed. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I observed events that would embarrass any Texas fan were the scenario reversed. I was rushing to get video of Mackovic's handshake with Slocum, so I was right in the middle of it. And, it was a pathetic display.

All I can state is my experiences with Aggy have made it is so much more gratifying to sing "Poor Aggy" at the end of any head-to-head matchup with those ********.

20. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Saint - your among friends here... share with us in detail what you witnessed on the field after the '95 UT - a$m game.

21. the Saint

the Saint 500+ Posts

Before the clock hit 0:00 I observed corps members pushing and shoving both men and women off the track. The problem was that their seats were on the track, and they didn't want to leave. That's where the first skirmishes began to break out. What they did was lock arms and just start walking the Texas fans back, and the Texas fans had no where to go (or, nowhere they could go quickly).

While standing behind the Texas bench after the victory had been put away, I can recall hearing more than one N-Bomb being dropped, and Chris Akins with his hand to his ear as if he couldn't hear them. That brought a rain of debris along with the sugar cubes the players were tossing at one another.

It got real ugly when the game actually ended. I had my hand on the belt loop of my photog so I wouldn't lose him, but I let go to help an elderly woman that was drilled, and I mean drilled, by a yell leader. She and her husband were holding either side of a Texas flag and were sort of jogging to midfield amidst the players and media, when a yell leader knifed his way through the chaos and just leveled her. He grabbed the flag and tried to get away, but her husband grabbed him and a few others got him down to the ground. I went back to the track, found a cop and brought him back to the scene. The husband was holding his wife's hand as she lay on the ground while two or three Texas fans sat on the yell leader. The cop ordered them off of said yell leader and told him to get lost.

So then it's just dealing with the rabid corps members. It was just nuts watching them just devolve into an angry mob. I can sum up the next 20-minutes by telling you I never got hit in the face, but I must have been punched in the back of the head a half-dozen times. They would get in my face and scream. I would show them my media badge and then take a punch to the back of the head when I turned to go about my business. That was how they were treating people that belonged on the field, so you can imagine what was going on with the Texas fans that had run onto the field and those hapless people whose seats were on the track. They were getting shoved, kicked, and sucker punched, and several Texas players even intervened as they made their way towards the visitor's locker room. It was ugly.

The final touch to the day occurred about an hour or so after the game ended. I left our locker room to run my tapes to the satellite truck in order to shoot them back to Houston, and after I dropped them off I joined a tailgate party I had been invited to attend. A buddy of mine from Bryan had told me where it was and offered me a beer and some BBQ when I arrived. We sat in a large group and reminisced about the glory days of the conference and what lay in store for both schools in the Big 12. At some point during our discussion an older Aggy stopped someone in mid-sentence and asked me where I had gone to school. I responded "U.T.," and before I could utter another word was asked to "haul ***." My buddy called "********," but they weren't kidding. I set my beer down and left.

It was all so ridiculous, but I did have my press pass framed beneath a photo of the final scoreboard so I would never forget that day and the last SWC Championship.

22. AlamoHeightsHorn

f**k a&m... now we have a reason to hang 80 on the ags team.

23. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

Damn, this thread makes me want the game to start in an hour...I can't wait to fuckstomp these sorry shitbags...

24. Thunderhoof

Thunderhoof 250+ Posts

The corps sucks. Apparently the real service academies teach their cadets to have a modicum of self control with regard to their fellow Americans. Not so the corps.

Losing 10 of 11 to those guys was beyond awful. Seeing them dancing on the 50, cheap shotting McCoy, drawing sabers on fans, physically assaulting fans, flinging poo, opening FedEx envelopes, the list goes on and on.

I have zero respect for certain elements of that school. We can never beat them enough times by enough points.

I dislike OU, but I respect them. I neither like nor respect A&M. It's on this week.

25. AlamoHeightsHorn

the 2000 game we took them to the woodshed at home and I truly want this to be twice as bad...

hammer them so hard it takes them another 2-3 seasons to recover from one single national TV loss.