2 young men charged with murder in 'cheese' deaths

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by zzzz, Jan 16, 2008.

1. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

2. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

Its a fantastic way to waste a boatload of taxpayer $$$. In Texas you have to show that you intentionally or knowingly caused the death of the individual. For instance, if you had laced the "cheese" with rat poison you could probably be convicted of murder. It the present case the DA can't show that this is sufficient under Texas law to support a murder conviction. Even if the DA gets a conviction it will be reversed at some level of state or federal appeal. $50,000 later you get a nice retrial. Way to go Irving.

3. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

Do the murder charges give them any additional investigative tools? Or possibly leverage to press those charged for information about the source of the drugs?

4. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

5. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

I don't see murder here. My best guess is they're charging murder as a scare tactic to others and so that entering a plea for criminally negligent homicide doesn't sound so bad to the accused.

6. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

7. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

Completely unethical? What if the tactic led them to a major source and prevented future deaths?

8. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

9. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

If you have any life experience at all, someone who is 18 is still "just a kid."

On this chartThe Link they more accurately say "North Texans 18 or younger."

10. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

12. In reply to:

13. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

Yeah the charge is BS. I don't see too many frat brothers, liquor manufacturers, or bar owners getting charged with murder when someone dies of Alcohol poisoning. When is the last time the makers of Tylenol got charged with attempted murder when somebody's liver failed?

14. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

If this DA pursues takes this charge to the grand jury, he should be reprimanded for prosecutorial misconduct and disciplined accordingly.

It is not a car purchase. you do not WAY overshoot the value of the case to a GJ, just to leverage that later.

I hope some advocacy group jumps on this up there. I would take this pro bono if it were down here.

maybe not totally pro bono.

15. dognduckhorn

dognduckhorn 500+ Posts