2009 recruiting

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Apr 6, 2008.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Lauren Flores, class of 2009, a 5-7 PG from Houston North Shore, has already committed to Texas. Other players from 2009 that have expressed an interest in the Horns are: Posts 6-5 Kelsey Bone (Dulles HS, Sugar Land, TX), 6-4 Cokie Reed (Midway HS, Waco, TX), 6-5 Nikki Green (Diboll HS, Diboll, TX), 6-3 Joslyn Tinkle (Big Sky HS, Missoula, MT), 6-5 Joy Burke (Marcos De Niza HS, Tempe, AZ); PGs 5-8 Skylar Diggins (Washington HS, South Bend, IN), 5-8 Ravven Brown (Duluth HS, Duluth, GA); F 6-2 Mariah Chandler (SW Atlanta Christian Academy, Atlanta, GA); and W Tierra Rogers (Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory, San Francisco, CA).

There could be anywhere from 3-6 scholarships available, depending on how many current players use a redshirt year. Flores has gotten one. Rogers, a 2008 HoopGurlz AA, could be a nice replacement for Brittainey once Brittainey graduates. With two combo guards coming in 2008 (Ashleigh Fontenette and Yvonne Anderson), I’m not sure that another PG will be signed although Diggins is an outstanding PG (ranked #1 PG by HoopGurlz). It’s really nice to see the variety of states represented by players interested in the Horns. Although, I do think Texas will remain the stated that most of the players will continue to come from. Certainly this year, Bone, Reed, and Greene are ranked among the best posts in the nation (add Tinkle in that mix).

Of course, nothing above includes any hidden gems the staff discovers that we know nothing about (like Flores in 2009 and Fontenette in 2008)! [​IMG]

2. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

BAB, what do you mean, Flores has a red shirt year?

How could she get one if she hasn't even come to Texas yet?

[​IMG]

3. Slick16

Slick16 250+ Posts

I believe Bab is saying Flores has gotten one of the 3-6 scholarships available, not a redshirt year.

4. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Hopefully we can get a couple of those "bigs" to help out inside. The centers on Coach G's teams back at Duke were always very athletic and able to run the floor.

Finally got to watch the McDonald's girls' game on ESPN the other day. I was impressed with Ashley Gayle's defense. Great shot blocker. She and Ashley Lindsay should have a field day blocking shots next season! [​IMG]

5. uconnfan

uconnfan < 25 Posts

Do you think Gail holds a scholarship for Kelsey Bone and tell the other post players that they have to wait until she knows about Kelsey's decision.

With Ashley Gayle signed for 2008 I would think Kelsey might have 2nd thoughts if Texas were to sign another post player before she verballed

This is one UConn fan that's not confident that Kelsey leaves Texas but I'm hopeful as UConn needs size in their 2009 class.

6. CHETOLONGHORN

CHETOLONGHORN 250+ Posts

Any chance we get on Brittney Griner?

7. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Griner has verbaled to Baylor

8. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

That may not be a done deal.....she's a LOOOOOONG way away from actually signing on the dotted line.....

[​IMG]

9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

10. CHETOLONGHORN

CHETOLONGHORN 250+ Posts

How is Gringer as a Player? Is she all dunk?

11. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Ashley Lindsay and Aubry Cook are the only two that will be using their last year of eligibility in 08-09. Crystal, Erika, E-Dub and Carla will all have two years remaining. If all four stay the two years; do we have only two scholarships available (one being taken) or do we an additional unused scholarship in the back pocket?

Just curious as to how many bodies will be in our 2009 class.

12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think Gayle is more of a forward than a pure center. She is capable of playing either as is Bone. Should Bone join Gayle at Texas, they will probably move from one position to the other as needed. The Horns could certainly use two of those post players available in 2009 for depth.

14. longhorns06

longhorns06 100+ Posts

I think we have great chances with Cokie Reed, Tierra Rogers and Kelsey Bone.

not too sure what is gonna happen to our current Miss Arkansas.......

15. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Are you sure about Crystal? I think she is done next season...

Also, I think that there could be another opening or 2...

We'll see......but what we have and what we are getting is sure lookin' great...

[​IMG]

16. TimHorn

TimHorn 25+ Posts

Per the AAS, "Texas guard Crystal Boyd and forward Rachel Rentschler announced Wednesday that they will be transferring at the end of the semester. Neither player has decided on a new school."The Link

17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

2009 is looking to be big for the Horns in terms of ships available for a huge nationwide class talentwise.

18. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Yes, BAB, you are right!!

And, as I suspected, and posted earlier, we have more openings than we thought......

As much as I like everyone we have had this year, I am excited about the prospect of getting some players in that can get us back at the TOP of the heap....that is what we want, what we have wanted, and that is what we hired Gail for......

[​IMG]

19. CamrnCrz1974

CamrnCrz1974 100+ Posts

With CB and RR transferring, and with PG set with the 2008 and 2009 recruits, Texas needs to look to get more post players. This class will be replacing Cook and Lindsey. Two post players is a must; three PFs and Cs would be ideal. Also, it would help to a get a stud athletic wing who can hit from three.

20. CamrnCrz1974

CamrnCrz1974 100+ Posts

21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

can't complain about not being in with the top players in the nation. Getting Bone and Reed to come in with Flores would be awesome. A wing or SG would round out the 2009 class nicely. Well, we'll see what happens.

22. BevoBeef

BevoBeef 250+ Posts

How do transfers work in WBB? Do they have to sit out one year?

With two transfers out, it seems like there is now a hole in reserves
    for the 2008-2009 season.

23. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Yes, a transfer has to sit out a year.

24. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

25. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Actually, they will not have to sit out a year if they transfer to a D-II School....

And, I beg to differ with you, CamrnCruz, we HAVE two excellent 3-point shooters on the team, who will light UP from beyond the arc.

Erika and Kat.....

[​IMG]

26. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hmm, BBV_Horn, I don't see where Cam has said that Texas doesn't have 3pt shooters other than Erika. The only reference to 3pt shooting I saw was that a 3pt shooting wing would be nice for the Horns to land. Maybe you were referring to another thread.

I do think that people, for whatever reason, seem to forget that Kat was an outstanding 3pt shooter this past season. She should team up with Erika to provide headaches for opposing teams. And I expect our other players to be better shooters from behind the arc, that is: Brit, Carla, and the other perimeter players. My main concern with Earnie and Kat was that they did not take as many 3s as I thought they needed to take advantage of their accuracy.

The Horns should be deadly from BTA this coming season, not just because of Erika and Kat but because the other players likely will have worked on that shot during the summer, simply to improve their game.

28. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

29. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

I think that the combination of Kat and Erika on the perimeter will be huge next season. They should both provide great opportunities for the post players to kick the ball out and also create a lot of re-post opportunities down low. If Gayle has any kind of offensive prowess on the block she is going to shine.

I really thought that Kat felt that she had the green light from behind the arc last year and didn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

30. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

From Hoopgurlz, a story on Josyln Tinkle. She's grown an inch since last summer to 6-4 and ranked by HG as the #5 Post and #13 overall. She has had Texas on her list (a fairly long one right now) since at least last year.