2016 recruiting

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Dec 8, 2014.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Tuesday:
    Natalie Chou scores 27 pts as Plano West beats Allen 76-39. Plano West moves to 15-5 and 6-0 in District 6-6A.

Joyner Holmes has 17 pts in a Cedar Hill win over Midlothian, 70-36. Cedar Hill is 13-5 for the season and 2-1 in District 8-6A.

Friday has two interesting games: Natalie Chou and Plano West travel to play Lauren Cox and Flower Mound.

Cedar Hill with Joyner Holmes will play Duncanville and Cierra Johnson.

2. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Tough choice but I will be going to see Plano West vs Flower Mound. I will give a fair and biased scouting report after. PW apparently has the better team but that doesnt always hold up.

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

thanks, flash, That will be much appreciated. [​IMG]

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Duncanville beats Cedar Hill, 49-40. Joyner Holmes had 16 pts for Cedar Hill while Ciera Johnson had six.

5. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Just got in from Flower Mound vs Plano West. I dont have the box score or points but will give my fair and biased scouting report. Will advise of the score and points for Cox and Chou tomorrow. The game ended something like 70-47. Flower Mound is very average, they play very hard and I like the ladies, but Cox is pretty much all the have. Plano West is actually a little better than I thought. They pressed the entire game and that really made it tough on Flower Mound. So what about Cox? Hands, vision, passing, quickness, speed, defensive fundamentals, and much more are just outstanding. Her amazing hands is what stands out most for me. They put her in the middle on the press break and try to pass to her high. She caught everything.........good, bad and in-beween. In fact, if she couldnt do this for the team, it would have been a 40 or more point game. They lob it to her on offense and she catches everything. Makes it look easy when it isnt. Just amazing hands. Everything she catches high, she NEVER brings the ball down like most bigs. She has tremendous court vision.........looking down court all the time. Excellent passer. She hit a 3. She rebounded, exploded off the dribble and went coast to coast. She guarded Chou and made it difficult for her. Blocked shots. She played every minute of the game. Got her first foul with one minute in the game while pressing one on one at mid-court, wonderful stamina, Unselfish. Her body language was excellent even though her team did not have the talent to play to win with PW. Who ever gets her is set for four years in the middle. She has ths skills to play the 4 if the coach should want to play another big at the 5. I certainly validate her high ranking.

As for Chou, I kept trying to find something I didnt like about her game. But everytime I tried to go there, she did something really good. She is not a dynamic, WOW type of player. She is smooth, unselfish, doesnt force things, drives and kicks to teammates, hit three 3's, probably had 18-20 points but they were all in the flow of the game, good ball handler, pretty good driver and likes to go left even though she is right handed. There is really lots to like about her game. I kept trying to figure out where she would fit in on a top 10 ranked team..........starter or second five. I concluded that she would never be one of the top 3 or 4 players on that team but could be the 5 through 10 player on that team. Position? A 3 all the way. She could drop to a 4 with some small lineups and perhaps some 2 in a bigger lineup. Lots of versatilty and coaches will love her. Good body language. Not sure I have her ranked as high nationally as some but a really good player.

In summary...........both are a take. Cox is a slam dunk difference maker. Chou would be invaluable in several roles and a really good teammate.

Hope there is room for both with the Horns.

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks, Flash, Excellent report. I really hope we get both and maybe Joyner Holmes. We got room for four with PG Alecia Sutton already claiming one spot.

Flower Mound 47 Plano West 70, Flower Mound is 16-6 & 6-2 in district. Plano West is 16-5 and 7-0. Lauren Cox had 22 pts for Flower Mound and Natalie Chou 20 for Plano West.

7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

The paper said Cox had 20 and Chou had 22 or maybe reversed. Who cares? They both had good games. Chou had help as the guard who has committed to Harvard had 25. After thinking about the game more, Cox simply is fundamentally wonderful. She has had outstanding coaching.........probably from several sources. Calm, cool, collected and rarely makes a mistake. Rare to see a juniior with the level of fundamentals she has. Still some things to work on. She missed some free throws and that shot needs some work. Seems to have all the moves around the basket and can face up from the 3 pt line. However, didnt see any mid-range game. She reaches sometimes on defense but not enough to draw fouls. So still some places to work on but just amazingly high skills/fundamentals for a junior and such length. I havent seen too many girls that simply keep the ball high with extended arms and dont really give smaller players a chance to get the ball. Nice player.

Chou since she is on a better team......ranked number 6 in state in 6A doesnt have to force anything............might play differently if she had to carry a team. But she doesnt have to. I look forward to the playoffs when she will have to step up her game for PW to win. I really like her "handle" in being able to put the ball on the floor outside and use either hand to drive. Her default is drive not shoot the 3 so that is good. Not too many kids can go either hand and her desire to go left when right handed stands out to me.

My gut feeling based on the make-up of the current team and what the Horns need is that Cox becomes a Horn and Chou goes to Baylor or similar. Or Holmes to Texas and Cox to UConn and Chou to Baylor or A&M. Fun to speculate.

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Lots of talent in Texas no doubt. Kind of surprised that our first commit for the 2016 class came from Missouri.

My gut instinct tells me that we get Joyner Holmes, Cox goes to Duke, and Chou goes to Stanford. Can't get it out of my head that Cox camped at Duke two summer ago; don't believe she has camped anywhere else due to USA basketball time. And, Cox sure is taking a lot of visits out of state (on her dime) , including recent trips to Notre Dame and Duke, I believe.

9. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

Texas makes Lauren Cox top 13.

TX, Uconn, UCLA, A&M, Baylor, Duke, SMU, OU, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Louisville.

LINK

10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

thanks for that link, 05LH.

Happy we are on her list of 13.

11. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I think we get all three. Since everything is speculation at this point, why not? We're 13-1 and accomplished that with one of our top returning players out for over half of those contests, and averaging less than 10 mins in the games she has played in. And with just the first of several highly touted recruiting classes on campus, it's hard to see this team getting anything but better and stronger going forward. And all of these top recruits will still be here when the 2016 group arrives, so it's easy to imagine why those top players would want to join such an ascendant program. And with respect to Cox and Holmes, with Imani graduating the year before their potential arrival, and Kelsey and Lilley both seniors in 2016-17, they're going to have an opportunity to make an immediate impact on a team loaded with talent and experience at every other position.

12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Tuesday 01/13/15

Flower Mound 68 Plano East 44; Lauren Cox with 25 pts.

Cedar Hill 69 Grand Prairie 35; Joyner Holmes with 23 pts.

Averages:
    Natalie Chou Plano West 19.5 ppg
    Lauren Cox Flower Mound: 17.4 ppg; 11.7 rpg 1.9 apg

13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

14. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Tonight's game is a must win. Go Horns Go.

15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Games 01/16/15

Flower Mound 61McKinney Boyd 40
    Lauren Cox scores 37 pts.

Plano West 79 Plano East 50
    Natalie Chou with 31 pts.

Cedar Hill 64 DeSoto 61
    Joyner Holmes with 18 pts.

16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Flower Mound 41 Plano 27
    Lauren Cox with 27 points
    Flower Mound is 19-6 overall and 9-2 in District 6-6A (2nd in district)

Plano West 86 McKinney Boyd 49
    Natalie Chou with 21 points
    Plano West is 18-5 overall and 9-0 in District 6-6A (1st in district)

Cedar Hill 55 Mansfield 44
    Joyner Holmes either did not score or did not play
    Cedar Hill is 16-6 overall and 5-2 in District 8-6A (2nd in district)

18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

From posts on Baylorfans.com, all three (Lauren, Joyner and Natalie) were in attendance at this past Monday's Texas-Baylor in Waco. Not surprising, considering both teams are on the players' lists.

19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Congrats to Lauren! [​IMG] Those are some awesome stats!

20. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Impressive stats indeed. A great player, and by all accounts an even better person. I sure hope she decides to join us here in Austin.

21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Tuesday:
    Lauren Cox with 21 pts as Flower Mound downs Lewisville, 53-33.
    Flower Mound is 21-6 overall and 11-2 in district.

Natalie Chou scores 25 pts in Plano West’s 55-43 win over Flower Mound Marcus. Plano West is 20-5 for the season and 11-0 in district.

Ciera Johnson had 15 pts in Duncanville’s win over Mansfield, 71-35.
    Duncanville is 26-5 in the season and 9-0 in district.

Cedar Hill and Joyner Holmes did not play on Tuesday.

22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

From the Dallas Morning News:

23. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Tuesday, 02/03/15
    Flower Mound 56 Allen 47
    Lauren Cox 33 pts
    Flower Mound Season 23-6 District 13-2

Plano West 72 Hebron 48
    Natalie Chou 26 pts
    Plano West Season 22-5 District 13-0

Duncanville 68 Cedar Hill 60
    Duncanville Season 28-5 District 11-0; Ciera Johnson 16 pts
    Cedar Hill Season 18-7 District 7-3; Joyner Holmes 22 pts

24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Friday, 02/06/15
    Plano West 84 Allen 51
    Plano West (25-4, 15-0) clinches district title
    Natalie Chou 34 points

Duncanville 67 Midlothian 27
    Duncanville Season 29-5 District 12-0
    Ciera Johnson 16 points

Cedar Hill 77 Grand Prairie 26
    Cedar Hill Season 19-7 District 8-3
    Joyner Holmes 19 points

25. Bevo1970

Bevo1970 100+ Posts

This post was made just before going to the new 2015 platform. Post as normal after it if you wish.

BabHorn
    (2500+ posts)
    02/14/15 02:44 PM
    Re: 2016 recruiting

Playoffs games for Flower Mound (Lauren Cox), Plano West (Natalie Chou), Cedar Hill (Joyner Holmes) and Duncanville (Ciera Johnson).

REGION I BI-DISTRICT

Duncanville (29-5) vs. Hurst L.D. Bell (17-14)
    6:30 Tuesday at Arlington Martin

Flower Mound (23-7) vs. Justin Northwest (19-10)
    7:00 Tuesday at Lewisville

Plano West (26-4) vs. Keller Fossil Ridge (18-14)
    7:00 Monday at Coppell

Cedar Hill (21-8) vs. Colleyville Heritage (19-13)
    6:00 Tuesday at Fort Worth Nolan

jusme828
    (1000+ posts)
    02/14/15 11:35 PM

It looks like we may have another recruit to add here. Natasha Mack has TX in her final six teams.

www.ktre.com/story/28099968/lufkins-natasha-mack-racking-in-offers-from-across-the-country-its-overwhelming

overseasbbfan1
    (2500+ posts)
    02/15/15 07:32 AM

Glad to see we're on Mack's list. I had been wondering for some time why there wasn't more mention of her on the recruiting threads given that she's a highly touted in-state product. I'd just assumed she was on our radar since we're focusing on her position in this class. Great to see us on so many top player's short lists...hopefully we'll get some more good news before long!

BabHorn
    (2500+ posts)
    02/15/15 08:15 AM

thanks for the find, jusme828. Glad to see those top players looking at the Horns. [​IMG]

BabHorn
    (2500+ posts)
    02/15/15 12:24 PM

UIL girls basketball playoff preview: Best bets, players to watch, sleeper teams, more

In reply to:
    Leading the way

Natalie Chou, Plano West: The 6-0 junior guard, who has been a key contributor since she was a freshman, averages 22.2 points and 6.6 rebounds per game.

Lauren Cox, Flower Mound: The 6-4 junior post, selected by ESPN HoopGurlz as the top recruit in the Class of 2016, averages 21 points, 15 rebounds and five blocks per game.

Ciera Johnson, Duncanville: The 6-4 junior, the lone returning starter for the Pantherettes this season, averages 15 points and 10 rebounds per game.

Moooooo
    (2500+ posts)
    02/15/15 12:56 PM

Natasha Mack is not a name I'm familiar with; glad to see we are pursuing several recruits for 2016 outside of the more notable ones on recruiting lists.

BabHorn
    (2500+ posts)
    02/15/15 03:00 PM

I think this is an old article but it discusses three of our 2016 targets: Lauren Cox, Joyner Holmes and Natasha Mack.

Texas 2016 Class Standing Tall

Also talks about a player that happened to come to the Forty Acres a few years ago.

26. Bevo1970

Bevo1970 100+ Posts

This post was made just before going to the new 2015 platform. Post as normal after it if you wish.

BabHorn
    (2500+ posts)
    02/16/15 03:51 PM

Alecia Sutton: stats through 21 games

total FGs: 129-280 for 46.07%;
    2pters: 115-223 for 51.57%
    3pters: 14-57 for 24.56%
    FTs: 47-64 for 73.4%
    15.2 points per game
    5.5 rebs per game
    4.14 assists per game
    2.48 steals per game
    0.43 blocks per game

Remaining schedule for Parkway North:

02-13 5:30 pm vs Ritenour W 77-44 record: 18-4
    02-17 6:00 pm vs Marquette
    02-19 5:30 pm at Incarnate Word
    02-24 5:30 pm at Hazelwood Central
    02-27 5:30 pm vs Kirkwood

JoeDallas
    (250+ posts)
    02/16/15 09:45 PM

A little disappointed in Sutton's 3 pt. percentage, since pure shooting is what we need the most, but, hey, she's only in high school. Can get a lot better.

BabHorn
    (2500+ posts)
    02/16/15 09:59 PM

Plano West 95 Keller Fossil Ridge 33
    Natalie Chou scores 31 pts.

Plano West will play the winner of Tuesday’s game between Euless Trinity (26-5) and DeSoto (21-10) who will face off at 7:00 PM Tuesday at Arlington Sam Houston

BabHorn
    (2500+ posts)
    02/16/15 10:03 PM

Joe Dallas, I was kinda surprised about that 3pt % as well, but she is shooting 51+% in 2pters so she can score inside the arc. I agree that the 3pter will likely come as she works on it.

27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's some awesome talent coming up in the DFW area.

29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Duncanville 63 Hurst L.D. Bell 37
    Zarielle Green 15 pts
    Ciera Johnson 8 pts

Cedar Hill 61 Colleyville Heritage 36
    Joyner Holmes 22 pts

Flower Mound 60 Justin Northwest 31
    Lauren Cox 31

Plano West won on Monday so all four of the DFW recruits are moving on. :hookem:

30. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

Has anyone spotted Cox at any games this year? She attended games last year, and I know she has attended multiple Baylor games this year. I've also noticed Aston hasn't had any tweets that are aimed towards her/her performances. I have a feeling she maybe cooling on UT a bit. Hope I'm wrong!

On the flip side I feel optimistic about Holmes!