2017 Recruiting?

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by HornSwoggler, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Bimage (6'3, 233) will add weight and have hand on the ground mostly.

Orlando likely projects him as the split wide, down LB. Or what BON labels Rush LB.

40 time is a lackluster way to judge many positions. 4.9 is more than fine for that close quarter role where burst is only speed measure that really matters. And this kid has it.

Looking at his tape and body type, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go the Redding path and add 30-40 pounds over the next few years and end up at DE.

Rush (R)
    Essentially the Fox hybrid position in Strong’s defense. The Rush plays on the line of scrimmage a great deal, making strength a bigger factor in this position than other linebacker positions. The Rush is also more of a pass rusher and doesn’t hold the same coverage responsibilities as the buck.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Brad,

Thank you. Anyone worried about a DL/LB 40 time should be more worried about our coaches' abilities. If our LBs are running 40 yards down field, we have significant problems on defense.

Don't get me wrong, I long for the days of DEs like Eric Holle and LBs like Robin Sendlein with great size and unreal speed, but right now let's worry about quickness in those positions and not so much about 40 times.

I also like 6'3" a lot more than 6' rushing the passer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

This would be some really cool data (the recruiting star vs. a college career performance metrics of some kind). With that data one could evaluate the recruiting services who assign the rank, to the coaches who who recruit the players, to the coaching or player effectiveness over a career.

I bet it's being done somewhere. In fact, in TH's presser, he alluded to hiring support folks similar to Mich, Alabama, tOSU, etc. It didn't sound like he was totally convinced re: data analysis (he said something like: but if they have it; we will too). I bet that stuff is pretty accurate these days, and any edge is a good one.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sadly it's because of 5-7 and horrible to say as it is to admit, Kansas! Although "We're Texas" means a lot to us, it is not what we want it to be to 4, 5 stars when they have National winning programs coming after them. Just the facts, at least in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Eno = ASU

Dang...

3.94 GPA, to major in business, impressed with ASU's biz school and "the connections I can get there."

Okay......

6. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

saw that about Benjamin. think we are about done for recruiting this year as far as big names, huh?!

7. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Filiaga to Meatchicken.
    At least not to ou.

8. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

For most of Herman's time here, we've been in the NCAA recruiting "dead period" that runs Dec. 12-Jan. 11. On Jan. 12. in person visits can resume. Maybe Herman and his crew of skilled recruiters can pull in a big name or two. Lord knows there are some offers out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Meso,

ASU has a "great" business school IF you have a huge trust fund and never have to work. I recruited their B school for a couple of years and it was truly sad.Every kid there wanted to go work in LA and couldn't get an interview. We had 4.0 MBAs willing to accept 3.5 BBA money.

The kid has a great future though. If he graduates from ASU (or not), is not Mormon, he has a wonderful future in tire changing and wheel sales for the guys at Discount Tire. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  10. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I think it's pretty common to think that the stars correlate but aren't causative regarding performance.

I think more 5* get drafted as a percent of the 5* than 4* do. It's correlated, sure. And I think that's independent of coaching ability.

Then I think finding the right fit of styles and abilities affect player development...Independent of coaching ability.

As it relates to coaching, I assume position coaches have a bigger effect on player development than head coaches.

That being said, I'm sure there are multiple reasons besides basic * potential that a coach recruits.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  11. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

1st day of Class for Spring 2017 semester is Jan 17. Maybe we will get a better feel for how many scholarships will be available for signing day (Feb 1) at that time. Right now, as far as I can tell, there are 12 scholarship seniors that completed their eligibility (not sure if Trey Holtz was on scholarship this last year) plus Locksley transferring out and D'onta leaving for the NFL. So that is 14 known scholarships that are available.
    I just counted the scholarship players from 2016 and came up with 83 on the roster so there may be 2 more spots available (limit is 85).
    That makes 16 scholarships with no further attrition.
    There are 13 verbal commitments now.
    Hoping Herman can snag a couple of the top uncommitted guys that currently have offers like DE Chaisson and CB Calloway and steal a guy or two that is committed elsewhere.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yep I recall Strong was 2 short last year. I find it amazing that no one on the team wants to transfer. I can only guess they think the next 2 years are going to be good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I was afraid we would miss out.

Good pick up for the Horns! :hookem:

14. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

They will transfer out after spring practice. Once some of the former starters get demoted or those expecting playing time do not get it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I doubt he was recruiting a bunch of 4 & 5 star studs to Houston. I'm sure he made contact, but you live in the current reality of where you are. I believe he has probably picked a few of his Houston recruits to go after. Now he is after a higher level of recruit that he porbably hasn't really spent much time on before.

This year's class is pretty much what it is and I bet he's out there working on any and everything he can, but you can't just show up at a guys house and think he'll commit after being courted by other coaches for years.

I bet he's spending as much or more time on next year's class as he is this year's.

• Like Like x 3
  17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This^^^ makes sense.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

20. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Herman's gonna put a stop to that non sense.

• Like Like x 1
  21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Not that this means anything but I checked on Alabama's 2017 pledge class and none of the six 5-star recruits to date are from Alabama.

22. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

"When stars don't matter: Top 25 recruiting steals of last decade from the state of Texas"

How did three star Colt McCoy not make that list? He was an exceptional QB. Terrific accuracy, good at reading defenses, led his team to MNC game, one of the all time winning percentages of any college QB.

23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Had to be in the class of 2007 or later. Colt was class of '05.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Kendall Sheffield to Ohio State

[​IMG]

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

• Like Like x 2
  26. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

^^^^^
    I hope ALL potential future Horns see this video. How can you not get excited.

Well done, D Chang.... Director of Player Personnel

27. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

OK very impressed by the first thing I saw from Derek Chang! Good stuff and hope it is a sign of my good material to come. But I was kind of confused, no one in the video said "Let's Ride"????

28. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The only problem is everyone knows 7 games were lost in each of the past 3 seasons. Winning, not slick PR, will solidify recruiting.

• Like Like x 2
  29. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Every little positive bit helps.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Just watched Gary Johnson's highlights. Guy is a monster on the field, makes people go backwards when he hits. See crystal ball is 100%. Let's hope so

• Like Like x 2