2017 Recruiting

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, May 24, 2015.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

from AAS on Chasity's signing, a bit about Megan. Wonder if Cantu just forgot about Norte Dame or if she has really eliminated them?
    https://www.hookem.com/2016/11/09/texas-women-sign-nations-top-point-guard/

• Like Like x 2
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The interesting wording there is "Texas is expected to sign one or more players". I can only assume Rick is getting his info from someone inside the program, so . . .

• Like Like x 3
  3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Also interesting that there was no mention of Boothe announcing on Friday. I hope that was an oversight.

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Given that it is the AAS, I think leaving ND out from MW's finalists and not mentioning Boothe was probably an error. It likely should have been Thursday and/or Friday instead of Wednesday and Thursday as the days that could see more Texas signees.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Got to be the AAS. Walker wouldn't eliminate ND until the official day. I'm puzzled about Boothe, since we haven't heard much about her recruitment. But here's hoping.

6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Grades? Family?

7. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Found this after I posted earlier:
    Olivia, a 5-8 senior wing who averages 5.0 points for Argyle, has parlayed her defense-minded role on a state championship team into a Division II scholarship to Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado. Delaney Sain, a 6-0 forward who helped Argyle win the state crown last year, already is a freshman at Fort Lewis. Vivian said it was possible she could join them with the Skyhawks.

That would be an unusual decision given the other schools on her list are all high-major Division I programs -- Oklahoma State, Baylor, Rice, Texas and Oklahoma.

"In the back of her mind," Olivia said of her sister, "I think she really wants to come to Fort Lewis."

[​IMG]
    Courtesy Madison Stapleton
    Vivian Gray, left, says she's a family person, and her big sister, Olivia, will be heading to Fort Lewis in Colorado after this season.

Vivian, who has a 4.0 GPA, has visited Texas, Oklahoma and Fort Lewis.

"I think it would be shocking to a lot of people if I made that decision [to go to Fort Lewis], which I haven't yet," said Gray, who is interested in studying business. "Delaney is one of my best friends, and I'm a family person. Those are the main reasons I would go to Fort Lewis."

8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

So is this the right summation?
    1) Chasity signed, in the bag
    2) Only 1 player signed for 2017....at this time
    3) Holding our breath to see if Megan Walker #1 chooses UT
    and/or
    4) Holding our breath to see if Rellah Boothe #3 chooses UT
    and/or
    5) If neither pans out, we then chase after Chennedy Carter, who has backed out of where she originally planned on signing?

9. LutherIsMyDog

I agree with #'s 1-4. For #5--I thought Carter was signing on her birthday, Nov 14th with A&M or Kansas. If there has been another update on Carter, I haven't seen it. I hope she is still interested in Texas. She's going to be a good one.

10. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Being that we only have one signed for 2017, Our coaches "must" feel fairly good about getting one of Walker or Boothe. Carter is a longshot but her delay is good. If we strike out on all 3, I don't know what would be the fallback plan. Perhaps a JUCO or graduate transfer next spring. Hope it doesn't come to that as that would leave me in another 6 months of uncertainty. Let's hope for good news today!

• Like Like x 1
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I think I must have mis-remembered Carter. You're right, she's down to A&M or Kansas. I just looked at the current team roster and there are only 2 seniors on this team. NCAA allows 15 scholarships a team. We have 14 scholarship players as of now (I think with Diani going the medical retirement route)....which leaves 3 scholarships for 2017....and so...hmmm, who are two scholarships (minus 1 taken by Chasity) for? I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

12. LutherIsMyDog

We'll find out about Walker today (5pm) and tomorrow for Boothe. I wonder if Boothe is waiting until Friday to see where Walker goes? Walker committing to Texas could be a positive or a negative for her, depending upon her perspective.

13. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

The scanty details I have seem to comport with the info on her Twitter account, but supposedly Megan will record a "program" sometime today that will be released on ESPN at 6pm, and I assume that is 5pm our time. Her announcement may be combined with others.

Rellah manana. UT looking good on both, but what I know is similar to what war is good for, absolutely nothing.

14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not sure what to think about our chances with Megan. All I know is that we sure could use her on our roster next season. Same for Rellah.

Would be great if Rellah does make a decision tomorrow, but only ESPN has reported that. Rellah doesn't tweet, I don't think; so, nothing coming from her directly.

15. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I think that Walker will end up at Uconn and Chasity will be the only player in this recruiting class.

16. LutherIsMyDog

I have no inside info but I think (hope) we end up with one of either Walker and Boothe.

17. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Walker chooses UCONN.

18. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

Disappointed, but I wish Megan all the best. On to the next one for UT! #hookem

19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Bummer. But it was sorta hinted at.

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That's too bad for us. I know our coaching staff worked hard. Tough to pull in out-of-state elite players when you are going up against UConn and Notre Dame.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

22. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

To be honest, I would much rather have Rellah Boothe. It would have been nice to have both. Miss Boothe was my first choice and still is. Megan went where she felt was best for her. Hopefully, Miss Boothe will choose us and make it a wonderful Friday for all of us~~~

• Like Like x 2
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Fingers crossed on Rellah:

24. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Interesting quote from her local paper:
    In the end it came down to UConn and Texas, and oddly enough it seemed like what intrigued her the most about Texas was how different it was from UConn.

At Texas, Walker had the potential to create her own legacy, yet there were still too many unknowns and sometimes the unknown can be terrifying, she said.

“I’ve never been in a situation where I have not been successful,” Walker said.​

That was an interesting thing to admit. I guess anything I say to that would be considered sour grapes. But you don't want someone who is unsure or unhappy about being here. And it's the one big decision to make for your next four years. Good luck then!

• Like Like x 2
  25. LutherIsMyDog

Wow, I thought Florida or LSU might be one of her finalists due to proximity to her home. I don't want to get my hopes up on Boothe but I'm slightly optimistic. I'll be disappointed if Rellah chooses Ohio State, because, like Bobcat, she's always been at the top of my list. She and Chasity would be a dynamic addition to the team.

• Like Like x 3
  26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Those are some really puzzling comments. I can understand that she feels that there are still unknowns but to feel that she would not be successful at Texas is strange.

At any rate, she has made her decision and best wishes to her except when she plays UT.

27. LutherIsMyDog

The nation's #2 recruit, Evina Westbrook, committed to Tennessee. Good get for them. Some folks think she could be better than Walker.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Obviously, I wanted Walker and Boothe to both end up at Texas.

Seems like the coaching staff only brought in 3 players for official visits this Fall. So, not sure if there is a Plan B at small forward now that Walker has signed with UConn. Depending on how the roster shakes out this year and next, it seems to me that we will be weakest at SF come 2017-18. Ariel can play SF next year, but once she's gone, the starting SF spot will be wide open with no clear leader.

29. LutherIsMyDog

Does Nalyssa Smith play the SF position? Just curious who from the 2018 class might fill that void.

30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think a lot of players are versatile enough to play a couple of positions; and that's definitely a good thing. But, sometimes you just want a player to play their "natural" position, or where they feel most comfortable.

I'm curious to see if Joyner Holmes ends up being more comfortable at PF or SF. If Rellah decides to come to Texas, I could see her and Joyner playing both forward spots when on the court together.

Pretty sure NaLyssa Smith has mainly played in the post in high school as she's probably bigger and taller than anyone else on her team. But, perhaps she has or can develop the skills to become more of a wing player. I just think her natural position is down low.

For 2018, we have supposedly offered 6'0 Lolo Davenport out of Plano. I'd like to see us pursue 6'1 Madison Williams out of the DFW area; I believe she visited unofficially for the Notre Dame game.

• Like Like x 1