2018-2019 Non Conference Schedule

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, May 30, 2018.

1. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Where are you finding “Possible opponents”??

2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I actually saw it first on the Baylor message board, surprisingly.

Since then, have seen some of those schools tweeting about it:

• Like Like x 2
  3. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

This should help our schedule:

• Like Like x 5
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Mississippi State hasn’t posted the rest of their nonconference schedule so Texas could be (not likely) their first significant test. They are in the same boat as Texas in having to replace their starting backcourt (William and Vivians) but they also lost 2 other starters: do-everything Roshunda Johnson and the team’s spark plug and sharp-shooter, Blair Schaefer. Their backup PG, rising senior Jazzmun Holmes, averaged just under 15 minutes a game last season (Sug averaged 23). Teaira McCowan is still there and Texas should have more than enough height to matchup with her, though the only player that can effectively match her strength is probably Jatarie. I’m assuming 6’ 1” F Chloe Bibby and 5’ 8” G Jordan Danberry step into starting roles. MSU got an SEC All-Freshman transfer, 6’ 5” center Promise Taylor, from Ol Miss but I don’t think she can play this season (?).

• Like Like x 3
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Taylor can't play this season. But, MSU could still land Anriel Howard who could.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Keep forgetting Anriel is still out there. Big 12-SEC challenge could’ve been an opportunity to see Teaira vs Kalani - I would have watched the game just for that matchup. Baylor vs South Carolina isn’t as intriguing to me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, I think it was both Miss. State's and Baylor's turn to play on the road as last season they hosted Oklahoma State and Kentucky, respectively. Our turn to play at home since we played at Georgia last season. And, South Carolina's turn to host since they didn't play in the challenge last year, and came to Texas in 2016.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Plans made, just a matter of how many family members will be going with me! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 3
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Opening the Gulf Coast Showcase against that other team from Connecticut:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Surprised Mizzou and Michigan are playing in the first round, as well as Fordham and Ball State.

12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

What about Duke and Washington? Texas looks to have the easiest route to the championship game if they play up to their capability.

There's a couple of teams the Horns could/should match up with that will help with the SOS/RPI.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Wow - I would say this definitely impacts our NonConf matchup. Hayes was the #7 overall recruit in the 2017 class.

Anastasia Hayes, a member of Tennessee's top-ranked recruiting class in 2017, is no longer with the team.

"Anastasia Hayes has been dismissed from the Tennessee women's basketball team due to a violation of team rules," coach Holly Warlick said in a statement Friday morning.

Hayes, a 5-foot-7 guard from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, averaged 9.3 points, 2.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game last season for the Lady Vols. She didn't start but averaged 24.3 minutes per game and was named the SEC's sixth woman of the year. Hayes hit her season high of 17 points twice, against East Tennessee State on Nov. 12 and in the SEC tournament quarterfinals against South Carolina on March 2.

Her exit means that Tennessee will return only one of its four top scorers from last season. Tennessee went 25-8 in 2017-18, falling to Oregon State in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Guess, like many other grads, Holt decided to go play her final year elsewhere. We got Danni via that route. :beertoast:

15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Make sure you’re decked out in burnt orange from head to toe.

• Like Like x 3
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Guess I better not wear my stormtrooper whites. :smile1:

I do plan to be among the first 500 fans and get that white tee which I will give to one of my grandnieces.

• Like Like x 2