2018 Senate (& House)

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Joe Fan, Mar 22, 2017.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The U.S. Senate has 51 Republicans and 49 Democrats (including two independents). The 2018 Senate election takes place on November 6, 2018. There are 35 seats up in 2018*, of which 26 are held by Democrats. That party will need to gain 2 seats to take control.

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

So, GOP can lose half of their incumbent races and still have 51-52 seats assuming those 5 Dem incumbents lose.

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What's worrisome is that those incumbents actually have to lose. However, Dems have been losing their advantage in recent weeks, so that's encouraging. Honestly, in these close races, I think the Kanye factor could make difference. If he makes it "ok" for even a small number of blacks not to vote Democratic (even if they don't vote GOP) that's major problem for Democrats.

4. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The Senate has no chance of turning blue. The House is the one to worry about.

5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Agree. Unless Rudy keeps talking. :)

6. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

It won't matter what Rudy says if the Dems keep talking impeachment. That will really inspire all the republicans to get out and vote.

7. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Impeachment will hurt Dem's. In fact, I could see the right serving up DJT on a platter to stave off a blue wave.

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Two things on this. First, of course we set the standard for acceptable conduct extremely low in the 1990s. If there's a sexual angle at all, anything is ok, including a felony to cover it up. So if Stormy Daniels has anything to do with the impeachment effort, it should be summarily dismissed. If we're talking about an illegal campaign contribution, a sleazy payoff, or even some bank fraud, that's all ok. That wasn't my standard, but it is the Democrats' standard and the standing precedent.

Second, I agree that the GOP will likely use the impeachment threat to raise money and motivate the base. However, I don't think that's very effective. Democrats did that in 2014. They did almost everything they could to make sure that Obama getting impeached by Republicans was in the news even though the Republican leadership was basically saying it was off the table. It didn't save them from a red wave, and they were even able to supplement it with the race card and had the media helping them. If it didn't work for them, it won't work for the GOP.

9. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

The Red Wave came because of Obama’s horrible policies.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

How many people are aware that donors to the Obama campaign were officially guilty of giving more than allowed, in quantities more than $130,000? All they had to do was pay a small fine. Then Dinesh de Souza gave $20,000 to a candidate which is also above the upper limit, and he spent 6-12 months under a type of house arrest. It is more evidence of political corruption by the Democrats. They have politicized supposedly non-partisan government agencies for the party's own benefit. Sounds like the political party Joseph McCarthy wasn't too fond of.

Maybe Republicans should use that to motivate their base to vote.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Is it wrong to think the Republicans might pick up a Senate seat in Arizona?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

If McCain gets replaced by a real Republican, yes, that would definitely count.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

14. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

In these instances, that tends to mean he will contend it was consensual.

15. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

:cursing2: :angry: :soapbox: :brickwall:

16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It tends to mean that, but when we're talking about a 16 year old girl, that isn't good enough. If you're an adult, you can't sexually touch a 16 year old girl who isn't your wife. It doesn't matter if she says it's ok or even asks you to do it.

17. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

It seems to usually be good enough for Democrats. Touching a 16YO is not as bad as leaving a woman to drown, but Uncle Teddy made out OK.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

"They are also childishly calling me "despicable and mentally ill."

Ummm... yeah...

19. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, and went on to screw over the country as a Senator for another 40 years!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Incumbent Dem in FL behind in polls too

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

And elected an electable GOP candidate against Manchin in WV. So, that’s at least 7 Senate Dem incumbents that are on the ropes.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

25. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Former Rep Blake Farenthold announced today that he will not repay the $83k settlement that he previously committed to repaying tax payers. Per the norm, he blames it on his lawyers.

26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It sounds weak, but if there's a chance of subsequent litigation arising from the harassment, I wouldn't want my client to have made such a payment.

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Red storm coming!

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some state politics
    Dem turnout near a 100-year low ("smallest number of ballots cast — in the 14 Democratic gubernatorial primary runoffs held since 1920")

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The R challenger has double-digit lead over Claire McCaskill in MO