2018 Senate (& House)

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Joe Fan, Mar 22, 2017.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You are ignoring the low turnout of the midterms as a negative on the party in the WH.

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

But I think you're ignoring the crappy turnout HRC got in those states two years ago.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

In the closing 5 days prior to the election, Obama flew in to personally campaign for some big-name Dem candidates in --
    Georgia
    Florida
    Indiana

Here's how they did --
    Stacey Abrams: Lost
    Andrew Gillum: Lost
    Bill Nelson: Lost
    Joe Donnelly: Lost

• Like Like x 4
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

As everyone knows the media was slobbering all over Beto's jock. It was (and still is) quite the spectacle.

I think it is also interesting the lack of attention they paid John James in Michigan. In many ways, he was as interesting and compelling a candidate as Beto. And James probably has the better background story. But they ignored him completely. Despite this total lack of media interest, James lost Michigan by only 5 1/2 points. This in a vote that saw the incumbent R-Gov lose by 9.

So it's weird how they pick their "lovable losers." The US media now actually favors white-male/fake-hispancis who get DWIs and flee from the scene of accidents over an African-American West Point grad who flew Apaches in wartime.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The blue salami

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Black women love them some Beto

[​IMG]

7. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Part of the flaw there is it presumes that 1) those 'former' felons will avoid returning to crime and 2) that they actually bother to turn out and vote.

8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Chris Rock on Bill Clinton below. Maybe some comedic insight on the love affair with flawed Liberals:

"I like Clinton. You know why I like Clinton? Because he’s got real problems. No, he don’t got President problems, he’s got real problems, like you and me: he’s running out of money, his wife’s a pain in the ***, all his friends are going to jail.. I know Bill Clinton. I am Bill Clinton!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Oh noes, Mr Bill!
    Bill Nelson is calling for a recount in Florida. State law requires recount when margin within 0.5%

The Rick Scott campaign responded --

“This race is over. It’s a sad way for Bill Nelson to end his career. He is desperately trying to hold on to something that no longer exists.”

Dem Stacey Abrams also refusing to concede in Georgia gov race.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's like they are fangirls talking about how much they love Oprah or the Spice Girls back in the day. Absolutely zero about policy positions. Nothing other than personality. And feels. And probably some unfulfilled hornyness. It is the behavior of groupies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here are the rankings of the Most Midterm House seats lost by a President/party in power, from 1946 forward --

2010 Obama: -63
    1994 Clinton: -52
    1958: Eisenhower: -48
    1974 Ford (Nixon): -48
    1966 Johnson: -47
    1946 Truman: -45
    2006 Bush: -30
    1950 Truman: -29
    1982 Reagan: -26
    2018 Trump: -26

Of the more recent ones and re-election of a sitting President --
    Reagan lost 26 in the House in 1982: Was re-elected in 1984
    Clinton lost 54 in 1994: Was re-elected in 1996
    Obama lost a whopping 63 in 2010: Was re-elected in 2012
    Bush I lost only 8 in 1990: Was defeated in 1992 (the Perot aberration)
    Conclusion so far as Trump's re-election goes?

13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Don't overthink it. That's never been a problem for far too many Americans.

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Ugh. Tester is in the lead now. Link.

• poop poop x 2
  15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Black women like them some Democrats. They're probably the most partisan demographic in American politics. Black female Republicans are probably less common than one-legged, left-handed, transgender, Muslim farmers in Wyoming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Now THAT sounds like a candidate whom I could support.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You're correct, but it's a swing state. It doesn't take many to impact an election.

18. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

They are saying they need a recount in Florida? I thought if you had a majority and 50% or more, the fat lady had sung.
    Speaking of the fat lady, why is Stacey Abrams not accepting the results in her election?

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Speaking of Nelson, the final Quinnipiac Polling showed Nelson +7

Quinnipiac was also in the field for 7 days (10/29 - 11/4) on the Florida Gov race and had Gillum also at +7 (with a 3.5 MOE)
    (DeSantis won by 0.8)

QU Poll Release Detail

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

To be fair, Nelson is less than half a point behind Scott. I can see why he'd request a copy of recount. Abrams is 1.8 points behind. She's refusing to concede to call into question the legitimacy of her defeat.

21. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

As bad as the democrats are it still surprises me that anybody still votes for them. They don't have any thing to offer. In the old days I voted for many of them but not today. Unfortunately, the corruption of the FBI/DOJ will now be buried. Perhaps we can pick up the investigations in 2 years if we regain the House.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

This may be simplistic but the population of the United States is slowly migrating towards the cult of personality. They want to feel good about themselves. The white guilt trip is kicking in hard right now. Trump is too abrasive. Separating the children from their parents looked bad. Woman are galvanized by #Metoo. That's my view anyway.

23. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

Looks like Gina Ortiz Jones may be asking for a recount against Will Hurd. Papers are suggesting that the first Filipina-American member of Congress and the first openly LGBTQ lawmaker in Congress from Texas might be losing to Hurd by 700 votes.
    Oy

24. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Never understood Blacks being overwhelmingly Democrat. They are extremely religious and I would assume pro-life because of that and they should be for policies that promote their economic mobility. I just dont get it.

There needs to be a lot more Black conservatives.

25. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Have you BEEN to Wyoming? Nevada, maybe...

26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"Separating the children from their parents looked bad. "
    Since this was started under obama and caused by the 9th circuit
    Too bad that it only looked bad with Trump.:confused2:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, Trump is abrasive and sometimes goes overboard but I think people should be made of sterner stuff. A lot of people accuse him of being childish because of it but to me the adults are the ones that get stuff done and he does just that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Personally I prefer Trump's personality warts and all than going back to Republicans who are chickenshits that will cater/cower to the left and the media. What did we get with these Republicans in charge? Nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Because of promises of free gas and mortgagee payments?

30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

This may sound pretty arrogant, but if you hate your country and/or can't or won't take the time to understand economics and foreign policy making that benefits our country then what makes you feel good is how you will make your decisions.