2018 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 7, 2018.

1. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Amber Ramirez from TCU

2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Ramirez could end up at A&M if she wants to stay in state. Otherwise, might have to go out of state if she wants to play for a program who makes the NCAA tourney consistently.

5. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

This could sure devastate a program but the Coach doesn't seem to be worried?

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

It really doesn't make sense to me that Amber (TCU) and Anriel (A&M) are transferring from programs that seem to suit their playing style and are consistently in the NCAAs (A&M) or on the cusp (TCU). Both at getting quite a bit of playing time and should be looking at even more, especially in the case of Amber.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Despite what they my state publicly, sometimes players just aren't happy and want to find a place where they can be.

• Like Like x 2
  8. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I guess you never know. It could be anything. Perhaps a player doesn't mesh with staff, has issues with other players, or sometimes outside influences could be a factor. And some probably want to be in a different location. I do wonder about all of those on the list that transferred elsewhere, and have had a chance to play, and whether or not the move turned out to be a positive one. Perhaps we can do an analysis a year or two down the line!

9. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Transferring within conference is likely much, much harder with coaches probably telling them, "Okay, you're free to go anywhere but the Big 12"

11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I know the Big 12 used to limit transfers within the conference by forcing athletes to sit 2 years but I think that may have changed after the dirtbag QB left Tech for OU.

12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Actually, you only sit out one year, but it's not considered a "redshirt" year as player loses one year of eligibility.

SEC does not have that rule, which is why South Carolina has gotten players from Tennessee and Kentucky recently without them losing a year of eligibility.

13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the correction. I knew it was more severe in the Big 12.

14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Baker Mayfield appealed the "lost year" as he was previously a walk-on at Tech before transferring to OU.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Vanderbilt losing 3 including a Wing (Whalen) who shot almost 50% from 3 in high school. Whalen was ranked in the top 50 in the 2016 class and both she and Overbeck made the All SEC Freshman team the season before this one.

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Anyone keeping up with JUCO prospects? It seems like that pool of players has been shrinking over the last couple of years.

There's also the International players wanting to come to the States to play their college ball; I'd be happy with a 6'0 Euro who could shoot from long range . . .

17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Our "friend" skilledup just posted the following on the Baylor message board:

"I'm hearing that the 2017 class at Texas will be transferring. Supposedly Boothe has left already and they are saying that Patterson is on the fence. If you look at Patterson's twitter page, she has removed the Texas header and all the Texas stuff out her bio. Guess we will wait and see."

It would strike me as very odd if Rellah has left school as that would cause her to receive failing grades in all her classes, and probably wouldn't even be eligible to enroll at another 4-year college.

18. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

If that is the case I think that Patterson will be the only player that’s tough to replace because of the depth at the position.

• Like Like x 1
  19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Hate to say it, but these days that turns out to be the best indicator of player intentions.
    I know I heard grumblings about unhappiness about playing time. But if you can't handle sitting on the bench your freshman year, then I guess you'll learn to sit on the bench another year when you transfer.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Since I'm no insider, I have no idea where things stand with our freshman.

But, I will remind folks that skilledup was the poster who was going from message board to message board last May claiming that Rellah was not going to qualify and have to go JUCO or go play overseas (which was obviously 100% false as she enrolled for the first summer in early June). On the other hand, skilledup was one of the first posting about Joyner possibly being suspended. What's consistent is always being so quick to report any potential "bad new" regarding Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  21. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I don't think it would really be a surprise if Rellah had already left, even if doing so (and the ensuing failing grades) prohibited her from transferring elsewhere. I think all indications were she was having trouble on the academic front anyway. Am I remembering incorrectly, or was there some early talk about about Rellah wanting to play professionally, even right out of HS? Not that anyone thought it was a good idea, or that she was anywhere close to being ready, but it seems like prior to her selecting Texas, some were saying she had entertained the notion of skipping college altogether, and playing overseas. So who knows what her next step will be. If she is gone (or going), like always, I wish her the best, and hope she finds success and happiness in her future.

With respect to the others, it seems many were taking a wait and see approach with both Rellah and Destiny. In the 'speculations' thread, Chas was the one most were including in their depth charts, and projections for next season. I do think it would be a bit of a surprise if she left. She had improved greatly over the course of the season, and I think most feel she was brought along in exactly the right way. She was getting more minutes, her confidence was increasing, and (most important of all) her shot was falling with more consistency. And given the departures of both Brooke and Ariel, she would be stepping into a prime role with the team next season. Why would she want to take a step backwards, have to sit out a year, and then start all over again? Without any guarantees? It doesn't make much sense. Sometimes I think (some) recruits see what they want to see. They may take one or two examples of freshmen elsewhere playing a key role right away, and completely overlook the 95% that are playing less than they are (if at all). Most would be better served looking inward, but sometimes that's a very hard thing to do when you're young, and impatient.

• Like Like x 5
  22. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I was thinking, "Man, that's a bad sign. A team having 3 player leave all at once....." And then I thought of what potentially could occur for us this upcoming year. Kettle, black. I guess it's what we think with transfers:

Transfer out: What's wrong with our program? Did we recruit the wrong type of player or is there something already wrong within?
    Transfer in: We're WINNERS and it's obvious to others around the country that this is where it's "lit" or "woke" or whatever phrases kids use these days.

I'm all for giving the student-athelete options. I like the fact that transferring volleyball players can play almost immediately. But can you imagine the insanity if WBB didn't have to sit-out-a-year rule?

• Like Like x 2
  23. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Skilledup is also on this board under a different name. He/she has been wrong on something’s but has been right the majority of the time. Whatever they decide to do I wish them the best unless they’re playing against Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  24. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

Skilledup is like the weatherman. RIGHT on the obvious that we already knew. And half right on the rest of it.

• Like Like x 4
  25. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Am I following this right? Ramirez is leaving TCU, but probably not to a Big 12 school because she would lose a year to play that she wouldn't lose if going to another conference? That's a good 3 point percentage and seems we might be interested in her, considering that is a great need of ours, but I guess she wouldn't go to a big 12 school. She might think hard before signing with A&M, since she would never be the star there, and might not even get that many looks, unless Carter decides to get more interested in sharing the ball.

I don't know what to think about Patterson. She didn't have a good year here, but things looked much better toward the end of the season. If she leaves, we will be even more in the lurch for guards than we already are.

26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

All we ever really heard/read about Rellah's issues for not playing were "personal reasons". Not sure anyone with valid information every stated there were academic issues.

The only statements I ever read about Rellah skipping college to go play professionally were from skilledup. Other posters on the UConn board (or other board) simply repeated the gossip which skilledup started.

• Like Like x 2
  27. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

HornsLewis is the name that Skilledup uses on this board.

• Like Like x 2
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

And if this is the case, I don't blame them one bit! NO the guards should NOT have played ahead of Ariel, Brooke, Lashaan, and Sug... but there was MORE THAN ENOUGH available playing time that was not given to them.

I'll refrain from comment about Boothe be sure there seems to be several variables in that equation. I hope Patterson and Littleton go somewhere and shine to their full potential.

Notre Dame won the NC with 7 healthy players and played zone defense the whole time. No more excuses for Aston's unwillingness to incorporate change and variety with all the talent on the UT roster.

• Like Like x 1
  29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I keep wondering why we keep talking about our three frosh as already gone for practical purposes. I have read nothing from them about doing so. Not that all three couldn't but until it's official, I am not going to worry about it. All three understood the situation coming in and that their ability to play was dependent on several factors, key among them their physical preparedness and ability to absorb and execute the offensive and defensive schemes and more experienced players they had to move pass past for PT.

Time will tell if they all or some, transfer. There is plenty of room for all of them to gain more PT and become more substantial contributors to the team. Nothing will change if they transfer as they will face the same issues wherever they go. Of course, other issues besides PT can cause transfers.

But until it happens. I am going to assume that they will be returning, prepared to be starters or gain significant playing time.

• Like Like x 5
  30. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

You’re absolutely right, they shouldn’t have played in front of any of them. But I disagree with them having more than enough available playing time. If you add up all the mop up duty from every game it still isn’t very much.

And I don’t get you’re pointing out that Notre Dame won the NC with seven healthy players. That would prove that you don’t need to have a lot of depth like the freshmen Texas had this year wouldn’t It? Also, almost every one of those 7 players were highly touted coming out of high school and would start for almost every D1 school in the country.

Jackie Young - almost any team
    Mabery- almost any team
    The young Nigerian kid whose name I don’t know how to pronounce- certainly almost any team
    Jessica Shepard - almost any team. And Kathryn Westbeld was highly touted coming out of high school and is a solid player.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018